Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Meta SX or Yeti 575
  • gmandavison
    Free Member

Which to have/keep?

I got a fairly new 08 575 and thinking of getting a Meta SX, any thoughts please.

mafiafish
    Free Member

New meta sx looks lovely, I don’t rate yetis much.

weeksy

I’ve bought a Commencal….

I’ve owned 3…..

Work out why 🙂

CheesybeanZ

‘ve bought a Commencal….

I’ve owned 3…..

Work out why

Warranty replacements 😕

weeksy

Exactly…. hence my lack of confidence in Commencals.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I love the look of the new SX but there have been far too many horror stories about warranties to make me ever want to consider one, warranty is one of the most important things in my opinon.

mafiafish
    Free Member

Only thing I would say is teh 575 is more of a ragging trailbike, teh meta’s definately a descent’focussed machine. Maybe look at the 150mm meta if you’re after like-for-like replacement. In which case check out the Remedy and canyon am

dantsw13

Yeti 575 has always been a dream. Now I’m injured, with too much time on my hands, I’m having a good look at the El Guapo and FTM carbon from on-one, and the Nukeproof Mega.

Rickos
    Free Member

Aye, they’re fairly different in terms of what you’d want to use them for. Chap in our group was out on an SX the other night. Looks nice, but defo more DH orientated than the Yeti.

gmandavison
    Free Member

Any examples of these warenties guys? I heard and read similar stories regarding the rear triangle of the 575 failing all the time and have never heard of such an issue from Yeti owners. Not saying it doesn’t happen but bad news travels faster and further than goods news and all tha 🙂

What about ride comparisons, i enjoy the downs much more than the ups and usually opt for the DH route down.

weeksy

go on commencal owners club forum…. many many instances of Commencals cracking/failing.

jairaj

They are pretty different bikes.

If you’re slightly on the gnar core side of the fence go for the Meta.

If you’re more of a general everyday XC rider who wants a bit more travel go for the Yeti. The equivalent Yeti to the Meta would be the SB-66.

The new Meta looks good but Commencial have too many horror stories and poor after sales support. I haven’t heard anything recently about them they could be better or the they could be worse? I’ll wait till this new Meta is tried and tested by others.

mafiafish
    Free Member

Yeti to the Meta would be the SB-66

from what I’ve seen/ read the SB66 is a bit of an odd one, very taught and not very gnarr-focussed. That pivot it has makes it very unwilling to give up it’s travel in any rush.

DrP

As a commie owner it’s fair to say that, yes – they did have a batch of frames (circa 2008/9) that would break in several known places, but I’m assured (by the Commencal chappie mind!) that these issues are resolved in recent frames.
    I had an 08 crack (this year though!) and had a ‘part warranty’ replacement 2012 meta 5 frame. It certainly looks different – more tubing around the head tube.

It’s disappointing they only have a 2 year warranty TBH, but the ride was such ‘fun’ that I was happy to pay the Euros for the replacement frame.

I would have got a meta AM, but really need to think of the riding I actually do, rather than what I want to do!

DrP

dingabell
    Free Member

I’ve got a carbon rear 575 which I go to Cwmcarn on to do the downhill track. It didn’t feel too fragile to me.

juan
    Free Member

Well as a meta owner I know two things. First, there is not as much warranties as people think (very low rate compared to other big brand), and mainly from a bad batch in 2009. Most warranties have been honoured even though most of the time users where not inserting enough seat post in the tube (I have a 2008 commencal meta that is still going very strong).
    Second, is I have yet to find a bike that put such a big grin on my face. I really don’t like max, really don’t, and I just can’t stand the face of the commercial (I think he deserve the clarkson punishment) but, although I did swear I would never give money to max, the bike is so good I couldn’t resist.

gmandavison
    Free Member

I don’t get where people think a 575 is XC orintated, Yeti market them as a AM bike that rides like an XC and the vast majority of 575 riders I have met use them for AM with an empasis on gravity riding. My peronal experience from gong from a DH to this bike was an easy transition as the 575 I have with the set up is more than capable for Cwmcarns Mojo trail, FOD’s DH runs, UK Bike park and the local DH runs around the S. E. Wales area.

A 575 is not an XC orintated bike.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Meta Am
    Transition Covert

They would be on my list.

iain1775
    Free Member

Quality of 2012 Meta AM/SX is leagues above the problem years, whole frame is much better constructed and better welds
    Revised design also addresses some of previous designs weak points
    Better quality control and a change of factory too
    Zero 2012 warranty claims in UK and Canada (I don’t know about anywhere else)
    In terms of previous problems Commencal honoured a warranty returns including some that where out of warranty or obviously misused, issues came through Madison being slow to respond, insisting frames where returned to France before replacements where approved or individual shops not following warranty procedures and slowing things up
    My experience of the new Commencal warranty has been excellent (wrong bottom bracket and fork decals went with my frame kit) both where resolved quickly and without question through CRC / Decade
    Yeti also have excellent warranty (2 pure) so I’m sure with either bike you wouldn’t have an issue
    In terms of the two bikes they are not fair comparisons the yeti is more similar to a Meta AM than the SX
    I’ve ridden both, much prefer my new AM to the 575, feels more fun and faster on downs just as capable on the ups
    It’s a totally different bike to the old Meta platform, a huge improvement
    My only little niggle is the rattling of the internal cables, makes it sound like something is loose
    Some great deals at Crc on the new Meta’s, I paid £1580 for frame forks bars stem reverb saddle headset and bottom bracket, those alone where worth £1400 at RRP so combined it was a steal
    Remember if you do upgrade you will need a 142 wheel & Maxle, new direct mount front mech (if your running one), new cable outers and possibly a new headset (meta is also angleset compatible)

unklehomered
    Free Member

Building a meta AM as we speak.

As has been said above, there was a speight of issues 08/09, it was a manufacturing thing, but they all came very close together. But with the internet people like bringing it up still.

Commencal address the issue for ’10 and its been fine since.

New metas are made in a different factory and because of the above commencal made a lot of the stress testing they put the new designs through. New Am/SX out now for 10 months or so I think, no yet heard of a single issue via COC. The AM frame is very well made, chunky, and bearings all seem accessible etc. I’m really looking forward to getting it ridden.

Coverts also lovely bikes.

gmandavison
    Free Member

I’ve decided to keep with the Yeti for the time being, I was tempted by the deals on CRC for a Ex Demo, but really don’t think it’s worth the hastle of selling my bike to buy a bike that may or may not be a bit plusher to ride down the hills. Thanks for the input though fellow MTBers.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Meta SX or Yeti 575’ is closed to new replies.