Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Meta 5.5 or Orange 5
  • Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

You would be silly to buy a 09 Commencal, they have a manufacturing default and ive had the Commie UK brand manager admit that to me.

Im on my 3rd frame and this one has 4 cracks.

Wait for the 2010 frames to come out, ive seen a 2010 meta 5 and the welding is 100% better than the 2009s. They have been improved all the problem areas with new designs. Of course time will tell if they begin to crack aswel.

grantway
    Free Member

Well Buzz I hope that puts the denial out for Juan whom says
    its NOT TRUE.
    Can you put a pic up mate.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Grant do you have a problem with commencal? you seem to only attack this brand for failures, when many other brands also suffer. You seem to get great pleasure from mocking commencal for having problems. I read all of your posts on Bikeradar and wasnt surprised you got banned and was happy that you did as you ruined any constuctive post with your over the top attacks at commencal and you dont even own one.

Yes commencal have had problems, yes they have admitted to the problem, yes they have done something about it now.

Ive cracked 4 frames, yeah im a bit pissed about it but the bike rides brilliantly and hopefully the 2010 frames will sort all this out.

I await your witty reply ala your bike radar style.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grantway
    Free Member

To be honest Buzz the answer to your question is NO.
    Unfortunatly I am not computer literate and could not
    link the info to what I had on these which was a hell of lot at
    the time, and a dam good reason I never put my leg over one.

The first wave of broken frames was from people going to the Alps,
    within the first day, some may for what I heard also put 160 forks upfront
    and thought they could take this as the Meta 5 was tested along side the
    Orange 5 and that can take a 160 fork including the Yeti 575.

I would say the problem was quickly masked by there quick no quible
    change of frame which I am not knocking. But they did not recall.

One thing I dont like is that people in some way was and defending what
    was a very badly made bike it was wrong.
    So bad Commencal showed they had no control/knowledge of how bad it was.
    Even there small 6 inch bike was not in any shape or form to there brochure until one of the magazines pointed it out to them.
    Including the Meta 5 magical mistery numbers of angles 08 model I believe.

In the end I got fed up of listening to crap and people putting the Meta 5
    as an equivalent to an Orange 5 and saying save a grand approx
    if it brakes get a new frame woow. And for some to say the Meta 5 was as strong as the Orange 5 when I had known these was braking at an alarming rate which could have lead to a bad accident

so in the end I got fed up of people deffending crap
    and got blaring with comments bit of T-it for Tat.
    Did I care No only the truth was told.

But I hope Commencal do get there act together its wrong selling
    a product thats not fit for what its designed for.

The reason I asked for pics was to put an end to the problem show it and
    make Commencal, and you say they have sorted it out.
    Badly made bike could lead to a very bad accident would you not agree!

GlenMore
    Free Member

Wasn't someone highlighting that fact that Commencal don't have as bad a failure rate as Cotic though (based on failures per units sold)?

mickyg
    Free Member

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64915
    It would appear Commencal are not alone ?

Northwind

So the answer is a Zesty, right :mrgreen:

ojom
    Free Member

Northwind WINS!

convert

Where might one look if they wanted a good price for a 5?

web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

grantway- None of the above is your first hand experience. You are just repeating and stuff you have read on the Interweb. If you are going to berate Commencal as veraciously as you have, you need hard facts and figures.

Try Googling "Grantway Commencal". I don't know about crack, but "chip" springs to mind.

P.s. Were you pissed when you posted above? It reads like wot a 4 yer old wot dun it.

web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

Wasn't someone highlighting that fact that Commencal don't have as bad a failure rate as Cotic though (based on failures per units sold)?

Some disclosure on percentage of failures is what needs to happen. I directly asked one of the admins on the owners club website who claimed he had info from the company. He said he wasn't at liberty to disclose. It was at that point I lost faith in him and his posts.

iamtheresurrection

I rode an 08 medium VIP which had no problems at all, in fact it's currently hanging up for sale in my LBS.

I replaced the 08 medium with an 09 large. Two failures in different places and not great QC; I'm currently waiting on a 2010 frame coming out to me. Apparently, as suggested above, they've changed the design and the manufacturer for next year.

I'm perservering because I think the bikes ride really well. I tried an Orange 5 a little while ago – I can't really tell you why, but I just didn't get on with it (think this was in 2007/8). Maybe it had a higher bottom bracket and I prefer them a bit lower – although can't remember now…

maggsy99
    Free Member

dont mind me asking but how much is the meta up for sale for and what bike shop please….

iamtheresurrection

Sorry, it's wasn't a blatant ad (although reads like it in retrospect), I was just trying to point out that it must still structurally sound if it's in a shop…

Do you want to email me for details (address in profile) so I don't upset the mods?!

maggsy99
    Free Member

ygm

Northwind

web_toed wrote, "Try Googling "Grantway Commencal". I don't know about crack, but "chip" springs to mind."

Nah, fair play, I know where you're coming from but I don't think there's any real doubt that there are issues with these frames. They're hardly snapping like wet twigs- I know some people did that by fitting oversize forks, but, well, duh. That'll happen. But the other cracks are pretty consistent even across different frames, and common enough to be a worry. Arguably they could all be caused by people not using long enough seatposts, but how likely is that?

web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

Northwind, I agree that there is definitely a problem with these frames. What I don't agree with is a pointless one man crusade to misinform.

The company needs to produce statistics about the failures.

iamtheresurrection

I think it's worth adding that Madison have been excellent with warranty claims. It's not the fastest turnaround (in my case because I was at the start and end of a model year), but there have been no silly quibbles from them. Top marks.

JohnnyPanic

The company needs to produce statistics about the failures.

As 2009 Meta owner (frame OK for now…) I couldn't agree more.
    Perhaps they will when the 2009 frames debacle has been sorted by replacement 2010's…

I'm going to stick with the company for now 'cause they ride so damn well. If it turns out that the issues aren't sorted with the new frames then it will be adios commencal.

The 2010 warranty frames hit the shores on Friday and are probably in the shops now so if you're one of those waiting and haven't heard anything yet – get in touch with your shop to see what's happening.

juan
    Free Member

Arguably they could all be caused by people not using long enough seatposts, but how likely is that?

Well lets face it, most of the people that can get away with a 350mm seat post up until the limit will do. None will buy a 400 mm seat post just for the piece of mind.

IIRC there use to have a fair amount of people who had experience bad warranty services with orange too. Personnaly I have seen only one meta broken, a 66, but not sure it's a valid point as the bloke who borke it also broke:
    a RM6 front triangle
    a Raceface carbone/alloy crank set (the isi one)
    every single fork in 32 mm (or at least the insides)
    a gravity dropper
    a stinky
    actually make it 2
    and so and so.

I think it's going to be a case of money/test ride.
    Thanks everyone.

Mark no nofreaking useles froggy, I don't want my bike to loose its nut down the trail 😉

MrsToast
    Free Member

Mr Toast has a XL 2008 Meta 5.5, it's been ridden fairly heavily over the past two years with no cracks. He loves it to bits – with all the other bikes he's had, they've had bits swapped in and out or been sold on, but the Meta's pretty much as it was bought – new wheels and grips, and I think that's about it. Think the only gripe he has with it is that he wishes it was a bit lighter.

He did have to claim one frame on warranty, due to a crack caused by a manufacturing fault. That was his carbon GT Zaskar though…oh, the irony!

Actually, is that ironic? Ever since that Alanis Morrisette song, I can't tell the difference between what's ironic and what's merely unfortunate…

iamtheresurrection

Ever since that Alanis Morrisette song, I can't tell the difference between what's ironic and what's merely unfortunate…

LOL! 😀

juan
    Free Member

LOL too

Northwind

"Well lets face it, most of the people that can get away with a 350mm seat post up until the limit will do. None will buy a 400 mm seat post just for the piece of mind. "

Yup- not just Commencal users though, is the thing.

juan
    Free Member

northwind this was a problem on the RM switch rm5-6-7 as well. Most of the weld have cracked because of that.
    However I can't see anyone saying RM bikes are naff.
    If commencal says you need to have 12 cms of seatpost inside, well maybe there is a reason.
    But that doesn't give me any inside about how the commencal/orange rides 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

but people who rode bot prefer the meta 5 am I right?

Actually I found the Meta nervous, fidgety and with a rear end made of jelly… sometimes felt like the rear wheel was loose or the tyre was going down…

Beagleboy

Would this be a bad time to mention that my 2006 model Orange 5 cracked at the top tube / seat tube junction last month? 😆

I replaced it with a new 2010 Orange 5 frame, but like someone earlier mentioned, things do break.

B. 😉

Northwind

Don't say that, Grantway will become wroth. And you don't want that.

grantway
    Free Member

LOL Northwind
    I do accept frames can and do break or get broken.
    Regarding the 5, Orange recieve upto three a year returned.
    I would'nt say thats ironic but for those whom returned them
    as being unfortunate.

grantway
    Free Member

Just have to wait for next years tests.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Meta 5.5 or Orange 5’ is closed to new replies.