Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Met Police new poster campaign…. #ACAB
  • alpin
    Free Member

anyone else get wind of this?

fantastic bit of guerilla marketing/slander.

no idea whether the signs have been paid for or whether it’s a couple of rouge hi-viz’ers doing the rounds at night….

alpin
    Free Member

nach
    Free Member

I saw it the other day and thought it was fake until I saw the one with police tape around it. Taping them off and having a bunch of officers stood around definitely doesn’t make them look insecure over all of this.

MSP

The Duggan one ruins the message of the others, there was a hell of a lot wrong with the handling of the post Duggan shooting, but claiming he was just an “unarmed civilian”, is exactly the same level of unbelievable spin and bullsit the police were coming out with.

just5minutes
    Free Member

If the police were as racist as they are said to be I can’t believe I would have black friends who have spent their whole lives in London without ever being stopped and searched – I think they largely stop and search based on judgements around clothing (hoods up even on sunny days) or demeanour (acting in ways that appears suspicious, sometimes deliberately so to provoke a response).

Black people suffer greatly as victims of violent crime in London and their own accounts of the offenders suggest that young black men are disproportionately likely to be cited as the offender by black victims of crime. Just based on demographics young black men are therefore much more likely to get stopped and searched for the simple reason they account for around 3% of the population but are cited in 54% of street crime, 59% of all robberies and 67% of all gun crimes (all 2010 figures).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/7856787/Violent-inner-city-crime-the-figures-and-a-question-of-race.html

peterfile
    Free Member

IMO the root of the problem isn’t that the MET is racist…the root is that we (as a society) create a degree of segregation for black yoofs which leads to a pattern of offending which is disproportionately high….which leads to a greater degree of segregation…etc.

See “The House I Live In”

Swelper
    Free Member

Love this kind of activity. Gets people talking / thinking rightly or wrongly

D0NK

a couple of rouge hi-viz’ers

is that a workman with a load of lippy on? 😉

easygirl

Black youths are 28 times more likeley to be stopped by police because they commit 28 times more street robberies.

Do you really think police set out of the station in the morning thinking ” I’ll stop and search a black youth today, just to wind him up”

Yiu don’t really think that do you.?
    Really?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Do you really think police set out of the station in the morning thinking ” I’ll stop and search a black youth today, just to wind him up”

I reckon some would.

peterfile
    Free Member

Black youths are 28 times more likeley to be stopped by police because they commit 28 times more street robberies.

Why are they 28 times more likely to commit street robberies though? Surely that’s the more important question?

I doubt it’s because they like nicking stuff.

botanybay
    Free Member

Some coppers will, yes.

bigjim

Love this kind of activity. Gets people talking / thinking rightly or wrongly

^this

is that a statistic or something made up by a middle aged white man?

grum
    Free Member

Wow. You’re a serving police officer right?

The amount of logical fail in that statement is really quite overwhelming.

Have you ever considered the possibility that black youths get convicted of more street crimes because the police target them disproportionately?

You should really do some research into confirmation bias – it’s powerful stuff.

Yiu don’t really think that do you.?
    Really?

These two chased an autistic asian guy for fun:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-30210199

molgrips
    Free Member

Why are they 28 times more likely to commit street robberies though? Surely that’s the more important question?

It is, yes.

botanybay
    Free Member

I’ve met 100% more black people I could trust than police officers.

That’s a true statistic.

grum
    Free Member

Probably worth establishing if it’s actually true first though eh?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

And did you know that a 100% of brown people are terrorists?

And all jews are in usary?

And all eskimos have blown a seal?

doris5000

Black people account for 7.6% of the arrests but get 14.8% of the Stop & Searches, according to the ministry of justice.

ads678

I reckon some would.

I doubt it’s because they like nicking stuff.

I reckon some do.

Doesn’t make the whole thing wright or wrong but just saying.

bigjim

I’m still lost for words with this, but it pretty much sums up the whole situation the posters are highlighting. Gotta be an stw quote of the year!

#everydayracism

edit: Just read above you are a police officer. What more is there to say? Someone needs to tweet your response in response to the posters!

#policeracism

look I did some hashtags!

dknwhy

I’d like to see suspects vs stop and search figures rather than arrests.

peterfile
    Free Member

Probably worth establishing if it’s actually true first though eh?

(I’m talking mostly about the US here, because I’ve not looked at the UK statistics) The number is somewhat irrelevant. The important thing is acknowledging that social conditions have led to a disproportionate rate of offending.

The question from states (particularly the US) always seems to be “How are we going to catch more of these young, black criminals?” rather than “What is it that’s happening that’s leading to us having more young, black criminals and how do we fix it?”

Again, watch The House I Live In. Its focus is drugs, but the statistics and analysis on black offenders (and associated arrest rates) is startling.

If anyone thinks that black rates of offending is higher in the UK/US because that’s just how black people are, you might want to consider a career with BNP/the MET.

We still segregate/isolate/differentiate in 2014, just in a more politically and socially “acceptable” way.

EDIT: UK black prison population in 2011 was 13%, despite only being 3% of UK population as a whole.

In the US, black prison population is 56%(!!!), despite only being 13% of national population.

loum
    Free Member

easygirl – Member

Are you Mario Balotelli?

dknwhy

Why do people think that offending rates are the way they are?
    Lack of resources for young people?
    Family? Cultural? Education? Media? The want of an MTV lifestyle?

rogermoore
    peterfile
    Free Member

Why do people think that offending rates are the way they are?
    Lack of resources for young people?
    Family? Cultural? Education? Media? The want of an MTV lifestyle?

Take two people both going for the same job, one is black and from a notorious and rough estate in East London, the other is white and from a not so rough estate.

Would you say that in 2014 both of those people have an equal chance at that job? In many instances I’d like to think that they would, but I also think that in a good number of occasions they won’t.

So what happens to that black kid? Where is his opportunity to leave the rough estate and move to a better one, so that his kids don’t face the same prejudices that he did?

Social mobility in the UK is difficult, more so if you’re young and black IMO.

grum
    Free Member

(I’m talking mostly about the US here, because I’ve not looked at the UK statistics) The number is somewhat irrelevant. The important thing is acknowledging that social conditions have led to a disproportionate rate of offending.

Yup fair enough. I’ll watch the doc you mentioned.

They always do though don’t they.

Would you say that in 2014 both of those people have an equal chance at that job? In many instances I’d like to think that they would, but I also think that in a good number of occasions they won’t.

There was recent research showing that job applicants with identical CVs were far less likely to get an interview if the applicants had ‘non-white’-sounding names.

Probably because black people are more likely to be lying about their CVs easygirl?

Klunk
    Free Member

coolio it’s make up your statistic to confirm your prejudices day, here is mine, 100% of coppers lie to protect a fellow officer.

nealglover
    Free Member

edit: Just read above you are a police officer. What more is there to say? Someone needs to tweet your response in response to the posters!
    #policeracism

Probably better to establish the facts before getting excited though.

gogg
    Free Member

Babylon, that is all.

😉

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8EpfyCG2Y[/video]

grum
    Free Member

Pretty sure easygirl has mentioned before about being a police officer. Could be wrong though.

MSP

Sounds like they were cleared because their excuse was just about good enough to plant a seed of doubt, so as to not pass the line of criminally proven. I doubt they will fair so well in a civil case or hopefully internal disciplinary proceedings.

dknwhy

I’d like to think that they would too. Do you think that it isn’t necessarily about prejudice against skin colour but prejudice against background and the way in which someone projects themself? For example, language use and “street talk”?

I find myself constantly correcting my teenage daughter’s language slips- “we done” etc…

ninfan
    Free Member

coolio it’s make up your statistic to confirm your prejudices day, here is mine, 100% of coppers lie to protect a fellow officer.

Definitely not true, as some coppers lie to convict fellow officers

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmhansrd/cm140319/halltext/140319h0001.htm

rogermoore

Sounds like they were cleared because their excuse was just about good enough to plant a seed of doubt, so as to not pass the line of criminally proven. I doubt they will fair so well in a civil case or hopefully internal disciplinary proceedings.

I do hope so too as it sounds like, from what is in those BBC reports, that they are a pair of right ****.
    RM.

Klunk
    Free Member

Definitely not true

really ? you don’t say 🙄

peterfile
    Free Member

Do you think that it isn’t necessarily about prejudice against skin colour but prejudice against background and the way in which someone projects themself? For example, language use and “street talk”?

So you’re saying an entire race just needs to project itself better 🙂

Ask yourself why those people have the background that they do and why they talk the way they do…

Social mobility (or lack of it)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Seeing as we’re making up stats on the fly today, here’s mine. A bizzie is around, hmmm, 28 times more likely to be a bit racisty than yer average man in the street; rising to 37 times more likely if in the Met.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Met Police new poster campaign…. #ACAB’ is closed to new replies.