Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Met Parachute – Removable Chin Guard?
  • smartboy
    Free Member

I know this causes quite a few opinions, but I don’t really want to start a discussion about the pros and cons of the Parachute.

My specific question is if the guard is removable or not?

MET’s site say ‘no’, it is not removable, but this youtube vid Youtube MET Parachuteshows a chap removing a few allen bolts, taking the guard off and re-attaching the straps.

I don’t understand the language, so are there any owners who can confirm if this is possible or not?

Also, is there a reason why MET themselves say it isn’t removable, but seems simple to take it off and seemingly be left with a usable trail helmet?

tomhoward

IIRC the new one isn’t, but the old one was.

edit, having actually watched the vid, i may have been thinking about a different lid, can’t for the life of me think of which though 😕

smartboy
    Free Member

Sorry – specifically asking about the new 2014 version.

CheesybeanZ

I’ve got the old model with the removable chin guard , the new is a one piece moulded jobbie .

jamj1974

Are Bell not making something like this now…?

smartboy
    Free Member

Yes, Bell do the Super 2R with removable guard.

Just wondered about the new Parachute. Why would Met say ‘no’ when the vid I found seems to suggest ‘yes’?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Same reason that if you asked Ford if their airbags are removable they would say no? Just because it is physically possible doesn’t necessarily make it a good idea. Doubt they have done any testing of it without the chin guard and I can’t help but winner if the strap mounts would be compromised in any way by the lack of a big plastic washer on the outside?
    You are probably right that it would work like any other helmet the same shape without the chin guard…

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Just thought, maybe they have tested without the chin guard and thought “well we will never get that to work!” So just said a flat no.

Let us know how it goes 😉

kimbers

That’s quite interesting , certainly not quick release Im curious how robust it would be after repeated removal

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Fancied a new Parachute for the odd time I’d want/need a full face but decided against it. Bought an IXS Trail instead as I needed a new lid anyway.

Would have bought the Parachute instead if I had seen that vid.

smartboy
    Free Member

Hmmm, will have to buy from a shop so I can get hands-on to check it out for myself. Probably best to actually try helmets for size instead of relying in a tape measure and ordering on-line. I might have a funny shaped head!

warpcow
    Free Member

Wait a sec, a the top bit of the Parachute is a bloody Bluegrass Goldeneye. Compared several pics and they really are exactly the same in the shell. Only difference is how the straps are attached.

peabrain
    Free Member

Cratoni Shakedown has a removable chin guard

prawny

They don’t want you removing the chin guard so you buy a parabellum as well obvs.

sideshow
    Free Member

If they sold it as a removable guard would that perhaps invalidate the full face certification?

HansRey

Met posted a comment on the video.

ATTENTION!!! This is clearly an unauthorised modification of the helmet.

The new Parachute helmet is designed with an integrated chinguard. Only in this form does it meet, and can be guaranteed to conform to, all the safety standards for which it is certified.

The bolts that hold the chinguard strap in position are fastened to a design specific torque. If you remove of the chin guard strap you will be unable to return the helmet to the factory specifications. In the modified state we are unable to guarantee protection of the head and the safety of the rider.

In addition the solution shown at the end of the video (helmet without chinguard) does not conform to the safety standards that are inherent in the original design.

MET does not sanction these or any other modifications of their products.

lardman
    Free Member

My 2014 looks the same as the one in that vid, so i would imagine it IS removable, however unwise it might be.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Met Parachute – Removable Chin Guard?’ is closed to new replies.