Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Met parachute for steel city downhill?
  • ron70
    Free Member

Having gotten back into mountain biking and just bought my first full suss bike I’ve entered Steve peats steel city downhill, really looking forward to it but having no helmet at the mo and being a downhill race do I need a full face helmet and if so will the met parachute be ok as think this helmet is designed for xc and downhill so I could use it all the time. My old riding buddies say I’ll look a tit in a met parachute and that they’re more dangerous than a normal xc lid as the chin guard is supposed to be weak?? I really don’t want to waste my money if its true about the chin guard so any experiences with this? Also why would this helmet make me look a tit?? 🙄
    I just don’t get mountain biking anymore. 😕

flyingmonkeycorps

Regardless of tit-looking, the Steel City DH specifies a full face helmet. I *suspect* that that means a “proper” full facer, not an XC helmet with sticky out bits.

Best bet if you really want a Parachute is to ask them – the facebook is https://www.facebook.com/SteelCitySeries

Duane…
    Free Member

Why will you look like a tit? Because they look like this;

sircharles
    Free Member

they are acceptable within our group of riders without one saying we look a tit or whatever.

i would suggest at least trying one on in the mirror and go from there

raisinhat
    Free Member

You’ll look like a tit, and almost every downhill race specifies a one-piece full face, so they might not let you compete in a MET parachute. Do yourself a favour and buy one normal XC lid, and a proper full face if you want to do rad downhilling.

johnellison
    Free Member

Whose rules is it being run under? I’m assuming that it will be British Cyling’s interpretation of the UCI rules, which only specify that a full-face helmet must be worn at all times for downhill, whether practicing or racing. BUT it doesn’t give a definition for a full-face lid…

That said I get the feeling that the organisers may take a dim view of you trying to use the Met and claiming it’s a full-face…

flyingmonkeycorps

Ask the organisers, they’re dead nice and everything – then you’ll know

**edit** Yeah it’s BC so I’d suspect a real full face will be required, but only one way to be sure!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I bought one of these years ago but don’t wear it now…purely for shallow fashion reasons 🙂

t-p26
    Free Member

BC Organisers handbook gives pictures of what “required” equipment should look like, and the helmet looks remarkably unlike a MET Parashitechute

mrelectric

I passed on the Parachute and have just ordered a Deviant II 2013. Looks a whole lot better IMO and gives more protection too, but its not a full DH FF.

I posted this PSA 2 hours ago:
    Specialized-Deviant-II 2010 version on sale here at only £84:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Deviant-II-Full-Face-Helmet_27474.htm

ThePinkster

Why is it not a full DH FF Helmet?

Complies with one or more of the following safety standards for bicycle helmets: CPSC, SNELL B95, CE and ASTM 1952 (standard for downhill mountain bike racing helmets)

😕

mrelectric

Not sure the std compliance tells the whole story, but I took a steer from the other comments thanks to the miracle of the interweb.

I was looking for a light breezy AM unit not DH (I have 661 something for those rare for me events) so didn’t go into further.

Lots on other threads on this…

iain1775
    Free Member

Cancel the deviant order and buy my 661 I listed in the classifieds for £25ono

christof
    Free Member

hi ron, ive got a parachute i was just about to put up on the classifed!
    its yours for £50 posted.
    its in top condition, never crashed and boxed

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Met parachute for steel city downhill?’ is closed to new replies.