Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • met office rain radar
  • Del

This map shows rainfall radar images at 15 minute intervals, for the last six hours

no it doesn’t. it shows your predicted rainfall, issued at 14.45, when i just looked at it to work out why it appears completely at odds with what i expected when i looked at 3 this afternoon. it’s bloody fiction.
    shower of tw4ts. 😕

jam-bo
    loddrik
    Free Member

It’s the UK, our weather is ‘changeable’..

StirlingCrispin

Weather Underground is very good for showing rain that’s been.
    http://tinyurl.com/og6xjzn

While the Norwegians are very good at predicting it:
    http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Stirling~2636910/

molgrips
    Free Member

Met office are the best in the world. You just have no clue.

CountZero

molgrips – Member
    Met office Meteogroup are the best in the world. You just have no clue.

FTFY

gwaelod
    Free Member

No..the radar rainfall display is the output from the met office radar (as indeed is rain today). It isn’t a perfect observational tool though…mountains get in the way of radar beams, the radar beam can overshoot low level rain bearing cloud if it is distant from the radar site….etc etc.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Its going to be hot and sunny again next week.. prepare sickies / scrounge days off work now

Del

yeah, thanks, i’m aware of the principles of radar. did it at college and evryfing. 🙄
    met office seems to have become very aware of it’s shortcomings in terms of predictions, and it’s website seems geared towards trying to hide them. my observation in my OP, was aimed at their inaccuracy – ie here’s what happened in the past six hours, when i looked at 8pm, when they stated the data was last updated at 2.45pm. that differs a bit from, ‘here’s what we measured over the last 6 hours, or so, last updated at 7.45pm’, or even 4.45pm, or any bloody time for that matter. actually what they should have said is, ‘this is what we think might happen, when we last did some sums, at 2.45pm’.
    alternatively they could do what they used to, which is show what they measured over the past 12 hours or so, and let me make up my own mind, but still that doesn’t agree with their model, so they don’t like to do that, do they?

dan1980
    Free Member

Their “Issued at” time refers to the longest past time they have still on record. The data comes direct from NIMROD and isn’t a forecast.

If your “Issued at” time differs from the time available on the left extreme of the slider bar , you need to fully reload the page in your browser (usually holding shift and refresh).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘met office rain radar’ is closed to new replies.