Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Merlin Oreas – talk to me :-)
  • psychle
    Free Member

Thinking about buying the one in the classifieds (seems a pretty good spec for the money), but struggling to find much information about the frame on the interweb. Is it an out and out XC race type frame or a more relaxed trail type ride? Anyone own(ed) one, what were your thoughts on it?

Also, what's the deal with 2nd hand Ti frames, is there anything one should look out for (apart from obvious things like dents etc)? Any particular known faults with the Oreas (particular joints/welds prone to cracking perhaps?)

cheers chaps, appreciate your thoughts as always 8)

redthunder
    Free Member

Hello.

psychle
    Free Member

eh?

Jerome
    Free Member

Geometry looks standard ish so would be fine for either options.
    Ti frames second hand fine – maybe check if you get the lifteime warranty transferred.
    J.

psychle
    Free Member

Thanks Jerome. Anyone else with a thought to add? Anyone owned an Oreas?

Hadge
    Free Member

Here was mine

They are a very very nice ride and they are superbly built. Buying one second-hand makes great sense and if anyone says get an On One or Ragley etc etc tell them no chance – the Merlin is head and shoulders above them. Yes new they were expensive but for £600 which is what I paid for the frame, it was well well worth it.
    Mine was a 16.25 inch frame but I'm 5ft 8ins and so suited me fine. The ride is typical ti loveliness and takes the sting out of the trails with those wishbone stays. I really liked the bike and only sold it due to an injury as otherwise it would still be here with me now. Mine as pictured came in at 21.3lb and just flew – shame about the rider though 🙄

brant
    Free Member

if anyone says get an On One or Ragley etc etc tell them no chance –

Ragley's have quite different geometry to that Merlin (or the on-one).
    If anyone is simply buying a bike based on the frame material it's made from, they is a bit fick.

Hadge
    Free Member

I wasn't talking geometry I was talking about how well they are made. I know all about the geometry, the Oreas is XC and the others aren't so wasn't being fick! 😉

dustytrails

Hi. Oreas a great bike. Very well made – ride great. Only had mine a few weeks – then some b%%%ard nicked it. Had just finished the build. Float rlc, King hubs & hset,xo etc .
    Get one

psychle
    Free Member

cheers for your thoughts chaps (nice looking bike Hadge 🙂 looks uncannily similar to the one I'm considering in fact!) Sorry to hear about your loss Dusty Trails 🙁

Having a look at the beasty on Wednesday, shall make a decision after a test ride (though it'll only be on the street, should get a feel for it still I hope!)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Merlin Oreas – talk to me :-)’ is closed to new replies.