Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Merlin Cycles Wheels
  • robbo1234biking

Looking at getting the Hope Pro II hubs built with XM719 disc rims from Merlin. I currently run a QR fork but might upgrade in the future. Would I be better getting the 15mm version and getting an adaptor to use QR with them to future proof them?

Any other wheel reccomendations?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Hope hubs and stop worrying. Merlin will sort you out.

slowrider
    Free Member

For what it’s worth, you can’t beat hopes own hope hoop packages for value, especially if you shop around. Build quality had been good on the several sets I’ve had, they come with qr and 20mm adaptors and the 15mm conversion costs £15 and takes about a minute.

dhrider
    Free Member

The QR Pro 2 can be converted to 15mm with no problems at a later date although I am not sure what supplies on conversion kits will be like since the Evo hubs have just been released.

robbo1234biking

Ok from what I understand if I just get a QR wheel I can change it out to 15 or 20mm at later date for little money and without changing the hub?

Junkyard
    Free Member

any Hope wheel can be done as Qr,15 or 20 mm. The bearing are 20 mm so anything that size or smaller is fine to adapt to without issue – buy the correct adapter when required
    Hope hubs are future proof only XC is QR only iirc

dhrider
    Free Member

Yes, The front Pro 2 hubs can be converted to 15mm or 20mm at a later date by buying a conversion kit.

robbo1234biking

Cool that my wheels sorted then. 719’s are a bit more robust than 717’s apparently so going to go for them

slowrider
    Free Member

Not any hope hub, the pro3 doesn’t do 20mm. For the weight of a 719 I’d recommend a notubes flow, nice wide profile and gives you the tubeless option.

Junkyard
    Free Member

sorry for duff info then i stand corrected

robbo1234biking

Looked at the flow but would end up at about £50 more for the set. Can get the Pro 2’s with XM719’s for £260 whereas with flow’s would be about £310

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I brought some pro 2’s on 719’s around three years ago (?) from Merlin and they are spot on. Just converted my front to a 15mm with a £15 adapter. The wheels have to loads of abuse and the rear has had my fat lardy ass to put up with. I got the rear one trued up today for the first time. Well built solid wheels.

slowrider
    Free Member

Go for it at £260, just had a look and winstanleys seem to have finally run out of flows on pro2’s for under £250 a pair.

Pieface

£260 for a set of Mavic rims on Hope pro 2’s is a steal.

The 719s are a bit heavier than 717s, but they seem tougher and are wider so you get a better tyre profile, but slightly bigger so you may need to start carrying a tyre lever.

RustySpanner

I’ve got Pro 2’s with 719’s from Merlin.
    Partner has 717’s on the same hubs.

Both had them for over five years with only bearing changes for peace of mind.

Great value, well built wheels.

Thinking about it, they’ve done over 50 miles a week for 5 years and are still running perfectly.
    719’s seem to be fine for wider tyres up to 2.35 Minions IME.

RagTi
    Free Member

Go for 819 USTs on Pro IIs ??. I have ran the same wheels for 3 and a bit years, bombproof, tubless and available from Merlin.
    15.5 stone, no buckles, no punctures, and the hubs are still smooth as my babies bum!

Failing the above the 719s will be just fine and the service from Merlin is faultless.

Kev

dadster21
    Free Member

I have Pro2s on 719’s on my winter hardtail. 15mm but can be adpated to QR but to be honest you won’t want to change back to QR once you have experienced 15mm – they are so much more rigid and as quick to get the wheel in and out as QR.. Got it all from Merlin – great wheels and great service. Only issue I have had (own fault) is getting a bit to busy with a powerful jetwash so the bearings are getting a little stiff (3 years) but that is after riding in some of the worst winter conditions you could imagine.

RustySpanner

Well, that would seem to be a universal recommendation for good value, traditionally built wheels.
    You could even swap the hubs for Shimano LX if you’ve got some cone spanners and want to save a good few quid.
    Why would anyone buy factory built wheels that need
    specific, hard to obtain spares?

Serious question, apart from fashion, what’s the advantage?

Zoolander
    Free Member

I’ve also got 719s on pro 2s, can’t fault them. 2 years use and haven’t had to touch them.
    Nice noise too!

james
    Free Member

XM719’s are tougher (and wider) than XC717’s but I’d like something else than mine now. Not amazingly light for their width and extra price over more basic rims, and keep hold of too much tyre sidewall reducing the tyres volume
    I’m thinking lighter less tyrewall grabbing NoTubes ZTR Arches might be better, for me at least

Personally I can’t stand the noise of the Hope Pro II freehub and the pickup speed could be faster, I’ve seen a few reports of split hub bodies, sticky bearings from new, too small bearings wearing out too quick and the rear hub pushes the price of a wheelset up a fair bit

“719’s seem to be fine for wider tyres up to 2.35 Minions IME”
    2.35″ maxxis aren’t exactly wide though, especially on XM719’s, the difference between on XM719s and something like a DT EX5.1D (similar width to a flow) is ridiculous

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

They’re shite. I had a set in the shop today that I had to tension and true to a decent standard.
    Where do they get their reputation from? every wheel I’ve seen from them is rubbish.

robbo1234biking

Hmmm the other option would been an XT wheelset which would mean changing to centre lock disc rotors

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Wheels/Mountain+Bike+Wheels/Factory+Mountain+Bike+Wheels/Shimano+XT+775+Factory+Disc+Wheel+Set_134.htm

bazza17
    Free Member

+1 for the 819’s. I have two sets and they are excellent

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Merlin Cycles Wheels’ is closed to new replies.