Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Merino wool base layers
  • reedspeed
    Free Member

Thinking of getting some new base layer clothing,i know most people say that merino is the way to go,my ?,is,is it itchy ??..

stevie750

Not itchy at all.

Planet x do them at a good price.

LoCo
    Free Member

good quality merino isn’t, cheaper stuff can be didn’t get on with my Baa baa base layer, Finesterre is my favorite at the moment seems nicer than than the Howies stuff I have been using.

druidh
    Free Member

Good merino isn’t itchy. However, I’m far from convinced of its use as a base layer. Once wet, it stays wet. That sort of rules it out for multi-day bikepacking type trips. On the up-side, it does tend to stay warm when wet and it does have some anti-smell properties if you are reluctant to wash it every day.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

No. Unless you have sensitive skin. It has a warmer, more textured feel than poly, but it’s not like a woolly jumper. Got my first Icebreaker bodyform recently. I’ve been very impressed with how comfortable it is when damp and wet. A convert.

Frankers
    Free Member

LoCo – Member
    good quality merino isn’t, cheaper stuff can be didn’t get on with my Baa baa base layer

Same here about the Baabaa

I prefer Smartwool, Icebreaker and Embers merino

ton

sat here in my icebreaker 200, cos i am a big soft shyte.

i had a baabaa, it was a horrible itchy rag of a thing……but it was warm. 😀

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’ve got a long sleeve Icebreaker and love it. I wear it as a normal t-shirt under day clothes during the winter as well, it’s that comfy.

And only wash it once a week, it works better that way, honestly.

I found the BaaBaa too itchy.

Also got a Moon brand merino t-shirt which is soft and thin, plus had a Craghoppers which was fine but went badly out of shape after a couple of washes.

Will be looking at Embers this winter, as their factory shop is only down the road.

I do also wear Skins 360 baselayers too (not wool), but only on the bike/run.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Merino wool base layers’ is closed to new replies.