Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Merino wool and fabric softener – quite surprising result…
  • medoramas
    Free Member

My cycling clothing stays long way from fabric conditioners of any kind. But the other day a pair of my old merino WoolieBoolie’s got into an ordinary wash. Reading and hearing about the evil nature of fabric conditioners used on merino wool did not leave me much hope for the socks being in good shape after the wash…

But it turned up they are even more awesome they were before! ❓ Really soft (I mean much softer then brand new!), even more comfortable and so soft (did I mention that?)! Last night I had them on during 50km night road ride in windy and damp conditions, with the temperature about 3-4°C. And my feet stayed absolutely toasty all the time – and my shoes are proper summer mtb ones, with some “extra vents” developed over the years…

Is it just a one weird accident or are we being scared of using conditioners on wool with no particular reason? I would test it on my BaaBaa baselayer, but I’m not too sure it would repeat the effect… 😉

ThePinkster

I thought it was just technical man made fibres that shouldn’t be used with fabric conditioners because it blocks the wicking surfaces.

Happy to be proved wrong though.

medoramas
    Free Member

I’m pretty certain fabric conditioner would kill anything “-tex-like”.

But wool? Hmm…

johnners
    Free Member

IME merino’s fine with fabric conditioner. However, exceed the ideal washing temperature by a couple of degrees and you’ve a nice child-sized garment made of felt. Quite soft though…

njee20
    Free Member

Often chuck Woolie Boolies in with normal washes, doesn’t make all that much difference either way IME.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I always thought it was due to odour. Fabric softener locks in stench, and stops merino’s natural antibacterial properties from working.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My base layers go in with the normal wash, then again so does my wetsuit occasionaly so I’m never one for sticking to the lable.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Apparently:

Fabric Conditioner/Softener
    There are very good reasons for us saying do NOT use fabric conditioner on wool clothing.

Fabric conditioners were developed to remove static from synthetic fabrics. Synthetic fabrics are solid fibres and cannot absorb anything (which is why they do not “wick”). The fabric conditioner simply coats them to prevent the build up of static and at the same time try to disguise the awful smell that develops on synthetic fabrics, especially those worn next to the skin.

Wool, in contrast, not only does not produce static, it has a core that absorbs moisture. The fabric conditioner will be absorbed into this core, making it impossible for the fibres to do their work of removing the moisture from your skin and releasing it into the atmosphere. Instead it will leave a greasy sticky smelly mess.

If you have accidentally used fabric conditioner on your merino, put it through several cool water rinse & spin cycles to remove the gloop. Then line dry.

johnners
    Free Member

Fabric conditioners were developed to remove static from synthetic fabrics. Synthetic fabrics are solid fibres and cannot absorb anything (which is why they do not “wick”)

Say what now?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

You heard. 😉

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Yes, I think that’s one of it’s properties, the anti static thing. It does make sense what it says though.

nemesis
    Free Member

I think by ‘wick’ you mean ‘soak up’. Most people would understand ‘wick’ in terms of technical garments to mean transport liquid from inside to outside where it can evaporate.

I’m very happy with my merino kit but things it does do –
    1. soak up sweat (but not smell)
    2. not dry particularly well while out riding (or at least not compared to synthetic fibres)

johnners
    Free Member

Yes, it was the assertion that synthetics don’t wick that made no sense. My synthetics can definitely get whiffy but they are far better at moving perspiration off the skin than merino, whether or not fabric conditioner has been used. There’s never been a “sticky smelly mess either, unless they mean the wearer.

nickc

My Baabaas go in a normal wash with normal detergents and fabric softener at 40degs. They are all fine. (no sticky or smelly mess here, 😆 )

CalamityJames
    Free Member

My Woolie Boolies are as good as new, nearly two years on. Great kit.

My Endura merinos also go in with usual washes, though only use a little amount of conditioner and wash at 30 degrees. Never seem to be negatively affected in anyway.

oldboy
    Free Member

Synthetic fabrics are solid fibres

Not necessarily, they can have a hollow core, for example.

Synthetic fabrics are solid fibres and cannot absorb anything (which is why they do not “wick”)

Moisture transportation (wicking) through a fabric is not necessarily dependent on the absorption properties of a fibre.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I don’t use fabric softener on towels…whatever it does to make the towels feel soft, which it certainly does, seems to adversely affect their initial/immediate absorbency.

I always assumed this was the reason why the wash label on technical/wicking fabrics usually advises not to use fabric softener.

DezB
    Free Member

I washed my Assos Winter Plus socks (you know the absolutely perfect winter socks that the bastards stopped making for someunknown reason) in the normal wash and they came out Action Man size.
    Not sure if they’re merino, but they are some kind of wool. Managed to stretch em back.

somafunk

Fabric conditioner is the work of the devil, nothing but artificial smelly fragrances whilst coating clothing fibres with various plasticisers and chemical compounds – no thanks!.

I only use unicorn tears harvested on a full moon to wash my merino and tech fabrics.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Merino wool and fabric softener – quite surprising result…’ is closed to new replies.