Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Merino baselayer for warm weather?
  • robbo1234biking

Ive had a long sleeve merino base layer over the winter and found it great. Now the summer is coming I want to get a short sleeved base layer to replace my old under armour one. Are merino ones good for summer use aswell or am I better sticking too getting another under armour type one?

speaker2animals

I have ridden in pretty warm weather in a Rapha Fixed long sleeve jersey and been comfortable. BUT – that was the only top being worn. I do think merino is pretty good and it is a very rare manmade fibre one that approaches the same feel. I do actually have a Berghaus base layer that is close though it cost as much as the majority of merino base layers.

I would say though if you want something for wearing under armour I’d suggest a “string vest” type in man made fibre. A lot of roadies swear by Prendas base layers.

See – http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=22&ID=368

aracer
    Free Member

I have several short sleeved merino tops – brilliant for cool conditions worn under a short sleeved top. OK when it gets hot, but if I had to choose, in such conditions I’d go for a synthetic – CoolMax works well, but there are other alternatives.

johnhe

I love my icebreaker ss top, but it shows the sweat so badly when I’m warm that I’ve pretty much stopped wearing it altogether.

Stoner
    Free Member

I ride merino base layers all year round. Only short sleeved in the hottest weather.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

wear my sugio all year as base layer on and off bike

mcboo
    Free Member

Believe it or not Rapha merino is a bargain if you buy in a bundle of 3. I wear them (long and short sleeve) all year apart from high summer. Need to hand wash them though as a bit fragile but combined with a couple of Icebreaker 200 you will be set for woolies.

£110 for 3. Worth it.

http://www.rapha.cc/base-layer-3-pack/

tomhughes
    Free Member

merino all year round for me too, find it regulates my body heat very nicely.

rocketman
    Free Member

Quite a big fan of Merino base layers but in summer I find them too obtrusive. They wick and disperse perspiration very well but if they do get saturated that’s it, game over.

As above it’s synthetics for me when it gets hot. The compression fit base layers are incredible I can feel myself cooling down after just a few minutes inactivity.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Another fan of merino in winter here. BaBa long sleeves worn on every ride since November.

A mate of mine swears by his Rapha short sleeve jersey but I wear a Skins C400 compression layer or just a short sleeve synthetic jersey in warmer weather.

The C400 is incredibly cool and must have powerful wicking properties.

mcboo
    Free Member

Do you guys wear a synthetic base when its really hot? Sometimes see guys on the Tour doing so……can it actually cool you?

daznal
    Free Member

Try bamboo base layers little known but superb

MrGreedy

Merino base pretty much all year for me. If it’s really warm (25 degrees plus) then I’ll go for a synthetic vest with a mesh back just to keep the wind off, but I’ll always have some kind of base to wick perspiration away otherwise I find I’m pouring in sweat in minutes.

njee20
    Free Member

If it’s really warm (25 degrees plus) then I’ll go for a synthetic vest with a mesh back just to keep the wind off

Why on earth would you want to keep the wind off if it’s that warm 😕

I don’t wear base layers at all above about 15 degrees, keep meaning to try a summer weight one, but just prefer a road jersey on its own if it’s hot.

rocketman
    Free Member

Do you guys wear a synthetic base when its really hot? Sometimes see guys on the Tour doing so……can it actually cool you?

Absolutely. Compression base layers are by their nature skin-tight and they soak up perspiration like a kitchen towel and disperse it over the surface where it evaporates very quickly taking the heat with it. Like skin, only better.

BadlyWiredDog

Very thin merino tends to get quite delicate. If you want something lighter but still merino-esque, check out Rab’s lightweight merino/cocona mix – dries and wicks faster than pure merino, is more durable. Good stuff.

ransos
    Free Member

Merino’s great at this time of year – it regulates your temperature well enough to be comfortable for a fairly wide temperature range. I only stop wearing a base layer when it gets properly warm. I haven’t tried any of these new-fangles compression tops though.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Yes they are very good, Plenty off mesh rad c nesbit ones that work very well. Most aren’t compression.

The mesh will regulate air flow around the skin and wick moisture away.

A good synthetic will dry far quicker than merino.

rocketman
    Free Member

as above the mesh vests are very good in a different sort of way. Cooling via improved airflow and a large surface area to disperse perspiration without convering the skin like a solid fabric.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Robbo, I’m not sure where your riding takes place ‘geographically’ but for up here in sunny Scotland I cant look past my BaaBaa’s long sleeve / short sleeve tops. They’re used every day for my commute down to temps of circa -5. Below that I pop on my medium Icebreaker. Throughout the summer I simply aternate between my long sleeve top and short sleeve top. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter. They dry super quickly and dont stink after a couple of rides….according to the wife 😉

oldboy
    Free Member

Merino sheep wear theirs in summer and winter alike!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Merino sheep wear theirs in summer and winter alike!

Yeah but have you seen any happy sheep??

MrGreedy

Why on earth would you want to keep the wind off if it’s that warm

Particularly on a road bike, the temperature differentials can be just as high in warm temperatures – yes you want to be cool slogging up a hill, but if you’re sopping wet in sweat and then head straight into a long, fast descent you’re going to get chilled very easily. OK, more of an issue in the Alps or Pyrenees than the UK I’ll admit but valid nonetheless.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Sugoi merino is very thin but goes in machine on 30 degree wash. Think most technical thin merino is a mixture of technical material and merino. Used day in day out washed about once every 10 days

Blurboy
    Free Member

Wear Merino all year round – summer just wear base layer like a Baa Baa SS top on it’s own – fantastic. Just bought some Howies SS merino ride tops half price in sale so set for summer. Only ever wear synthetic tops now in winter for waterproofing. My polyester SS tops now confined to the bin.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Merino baselayer for warm weather?’ is closed to new replies.