Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)
  • Merida Brass Monkeys
  • blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

Yep, should be quite easy to spot!

njee20
    Free Member

Have you checked if you're allowed?

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

Yep.

njee20
    Free Member

Fair enough!

JamesP
    Free Member

TBH I'd be more impressed if you rode it fixed fully rigid with two wheels 😉

atlaz
    Free Member

Chances are I'll be on the HT.

Njee – You do any of the midweek rides from WDMBC? If there's at least a semi-familiar person, might mince along to it as I work in Stockley Park

njee20
    Free Member

I don't, I'm actually closer to Beyond, down near Guildford, makes most of the WDMBC rides a bit too far.

JamesP is also a member, he may get out more often, James?…

JamesP
    Free Member

Nah, unfortunately I work in the City so its impossible for me to get there in time.

atlaz – if you want to ride just turn up. They're a friendly bunch. Depending who goes they can be anything from a 2 hour mince to a 3 hour leg breaker. They probably err more on the former than the latter but there are some strong riders in attendance.

atlaz
    Free Member

I was planning on doing that, just easier if you know SOMEONE 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

If you cross the line at 1:59:59 you can go out and do a 4th (for example) lap. You don't have to, you will still be placed higher than everyone who did 3 laps, but took longer.

I did exactly this last time. Stopped just past the line, got phone out to see time, saw it turn the hour, heard commentator tell next person their time was up – and decided I'd slink off.

I will be on my black Trance, with a little blue camelbak, if anybody wants to say hello as they overtake me.

Ti29er
    Free Member

After 4hrs in the freezing cold woods and wind caressed open areas, my feet will be blocks of ice, so stuff doing another lap at 3:59:59 – give me a hot cuppa and a hand dismounting from the bike please as I'm going to frozen into position.
    Actually, make that a mug of Oxtail soup and a warm coat & I'll disentangle myself from the bike on the floor once I come to a stop. 🙄
    (Am I correct in saying they give out spot BAFTAS?)

dobo
    Free Member

will be on my rigid kona and new ztr crest wheels!

mandog

Good luck people. Would have done it if had not planned to go out last night. Did the other 2 rounds. There's less c0cks on the Enduro's than the Gorrick races.

atlaz
    Free Member

Any idea how long before the start it's smart to be there to pick up numbers etc? Given I'm off alone, I don't really have much urge to stand for too long in the field

mandog

I always like to get there an hour before. Gives me time to get my race plate, sort the bike, have a coffee, bacon roll and pre-race dump.

If you don't need to do all that then 15 mins will do – may be difficult to find somewhere to park though.

Ti29er
    Free Member

What an excellent day out in the woods!
    I thought the course was very, very good, a bit of everything and not too Gorrickesque at all!
    Problems with cramp and no granny ring & one puncture in a tubeless tyre, but I found myself enjoying each lap until the last 50% of the final lap when I was feeling fatigued (going up those hills in the middle ring must have taken it out of me). 😉

Not often I have a bath but I'm aching all over!
    A good bunch with whom to ride with, cheers!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've taken something like 300 pictures up there today. I'm just editing them, and when I'm done I'll stick them on here. Probably tomorrow morning…..

As it was an Army Cycling Union event, I was thinking of charging £2 a pic and donating the money to Help for Heros.

Whaddya reckon? Good idea or not?
    🙂

Ti29er
    Free Member

Depends if you want to earn a profit from your photography?

If not, what's wrong with £5 per shot?
    How are you selling them?
    Will you not need to pay tax on the turnover?
    Are you happy to make a financial loss on this venture?
    Or is it an Honour system?

chakaping
    Free Member

I enjoyed that too. Great course, perfect weather, nice atmosphere.

Still glad I did the 2hr and not the 4hr, three laps was about enough for me.

Almost killed the lady photographer with the tripod at the bottom of the bumpy, muddy descent – but luckily regained control and disaster was averted.

Peter – If you got a shot of me I'll be happily pay £2, or a bit more if it's in focus/any good. 😉

atlaz
    Free Member

PP – You the bloke who was walking against the "traffic" just past the last ditch about an hour in?

Good course, shame my legs couldn't really handle the climbing and then I mangled my mech hanger and was riding a 1×5 for most of the time. Still, shows me what I need to work on.

DezB
    Free Member

I knew I wasn't fit enough, but I've never had cramp like I had on my 4th lap before! Argh.
    Results are up on Timelaps (link via gorrick.com) if you wanna see how you did.
    50th out of 59 in the old boys 4 hr for me. At least I wasn't last 🙂

Oh and if it was one of you walking across the bridge into the arena as I came over the hill – sorry for shouting at you! Thought I was gonna die there!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Depends if you want to earn a profit from your photography?

If not, what's wrong with £5 per shot?
    How are you selling them?
    Will you not need to pay tax on the turnover?
    Are you happy to make a financial loss on this venture?
    Or is it an Honour system?

Well, I was talking to Joolz who wasn't too keen on me giving them away as she makes a living out of it, which is understandable. So I won't. The charity thing was her idea really. Treads on nobodys toes then, I suppose…. 🙂

I'm uploding them to my Flickr account, but only I can see them. I'll list the race numbers on various forums and if anyone wants one then I'll either send them a watermaked proof copy, or they can have their money back if they aren't satisfied.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP – You the bloke who was walking against the "traffic" just past the last ditch about an hour in?

Not sure, I think I followed the course at first.
    I was dressed mainly in green, bodywarmer, brown beanie, pushing/ riding an orange Inbred and carrying a black rucksack. Sorry if I got in your way… 🙂
    I did fall on my ares right in front of someone at one point, trying to get off the course! 😳

singletrackmind

Blimey Dez. You went racing without me ! I think i have real manflu as i have been in bed for 24hours, my kidneys are killing me and i cant regulate my temperature. Well done for having a go tho , best way to get fitter.

slimraybob
    Free Member

Had a great time, really good course probably the best of the 3.
    DezB I know what you mean about cramp, never had it that bad before.

njee20
    Free Member

Pretty sure you missed me PP, as I thoughtfully told you in those woods up the top!

Great course though, thoroughly enjoyed plodding around! Surprised by the lack of mud!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

njee, ahh sorry, I spent all day missing people it seems….. 😉

I was shooting and walking for 4 hours solid though, what number were you?

DT78
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it too, some fantastic single track and surprisingly little mud.

Managed to get cramp in both quads enough to put me on my ass on lap 3. Basically had to spin or walk every serious climb after that which was a bit of a shame adding 20mins per lap. Ended up on my ass again last climb of lap 4 🙁

Not looking forward to tomorrow morning….

Ti29er
    Free Member

I managed 5 laps, but I think some of my problems with the cramp was maybe not drinking enough.
    I did 4 laps and only drank 2ltrs & had an electrolyte mix in wit water.
    I then drank 1ltr on the last lap and this helped.

atlaz
    Free Member

surprisingly little mud

I'm guessing you mean other than that god forsaken swamp about a mile into the lap 🙂

I was talking to some bloke just before the first cattle grid after the fireroad climb who had evil cramp. He sort of fell off his bike and lay on the ground a minute but seemed okay (and said he had food/gel/water on him) so I left him alone.

My legs were knackered after the first lap and from then on it was cramp city but I do think I wasn't drinking enough, particularly after I ran out. Next time, elecrolytes in the water too.

DT78
    Free Member

Could have been me I was happily chatting to some chap from winc when it went the first time! Never had cramp like it. Black charge duster & blue jacket.

Lesson learnt never push through it, wise to get off and stretch first hint of it. Otherwise it's pain for the rest of the race.

I only drank 2litres the whole time (size of bladder) more needed next time!

The swamp wasn't too bad 🙂 'Bog of Doom' was quite good fun I thought. Perfectly rideable if you had a clear run at it.

JRTG
    Free Member

Yep another cramp victim here. Was drinking lots of electrolyte and gels. must have been the cold and dunks through puddles of water with ice floating on top. killer

atlaz
    Free Member

DT78 – Nah, this was some bloke on a Trek (either a Remedy or Fuel).

Got to say, didn't find it too cold all things considered. I wore shorts and didn't feel cold at all.

DezB
    Free Member

I started to feel the cold around the 3rd 4th laps, so I guess that was what caused the cramp.

singletrackmind – Member
    Blimey Dez. You went racing without me ! I think i have real manflu as i have been in bed for 24hours

Didn't realise you wre back from skiing mate. That mountain air must've given you a bug. Get well soon!

njee20
    Free Member

I was cooking, definitely not cold! Wasn't wearing shorts admittedly.

Pete, I was number 36, happily bung you a few quid if you did get one!

joolzed
    Free Member

Yeah I also said I'd match what PP did in sales. Though it might be easier to say I'll donate £2.00 out of each sale to Help for Heros too.
    Pics being uploaded now. Dave's will be along later in the week:0)
    Brass Monkey Photos

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

Hi, great fun. Made 3 laps in a little over four and a half hours. Tired on the last lap but made nearly all of the sections on what was a great course with some lovely, tight singletrack.

Looking forward to seeing the photos. Thanks for all the encouragement, it helped on that last lap!

pants
    Free Member

Well, by all accounts, it sounds like you all enjoyed it, saving the best and hardest til last!!

It was always going to be!!! So what are we calling this on then? We had the F*****G WET ONE, WE had the CHILLY ONE, what will Joolze bring us this time??? Tropical, Sunny, Hard, Hilly, Blah LOL….

Thanks for coming along!!

jay_tht
    Free Member

Well done all who raced was good to cheer you all along.. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

That's very impressive Mr Goat.

I was really surprised at the speed you were going on the singletrack.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘Merida Brass Monkeys’ is closed to new replies.