Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Merida Brass Monkeys Winter Series 2011/12
  • gee
    Free Member

Fantastic day in the sunshine on brilliant flowing trails.

lucien

I have to give thanks and credit for what went in to making today’s route and trail quality simply fantastic……as for the balmy 14deg, sunshine and dryness it’s got to go down as one of the best days riding in a long time

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed, was brilliant, great course, so dry and lovely weather.

Just need to get to the start a bit earlier next time, couldn’t believe how many people were there!

DT78
    Free Member

Probably the best race I’ve done, fantastic course and conditions – I had a little moment where I remembered why I love riding – golden sunshine, leaves blowing across the swoopy bermy trail. Shame it was all ruined by the sudden onset of horrible cramp in lap4 that saw me fall off on those nasty climbs!

Thanks to all the riders that offered words of support, felt a bit of a tool but from what I saw I certainly wasn’t the only one suffering towards the end.

Great day out.

Clink

Ditto above. My first proper race. Course was fantastic (understatement) and organisation spot-on.

Anyone know how the guy was who crashed on first lap of 2 hour race? Didn’t see it but looked like he had hit a tree.

john_l
    Free Member

it was pissing down in Brighton when I left this morning, couldn’t believe how different it was in Deepcut – Mud X’s probably not the best choice after all!

Brilliant course & quality riding from all. Cramped like hell on my 5th lap though.

gee
    Free Member

Garmin trace of the route if anyone’s interested:

The laps are all slightly different lengths as the start was somewhat of a surprise and I wasn’t quite GPS’d up by that point. It starts about 1 mile into lap 1, hence the last lap is a bit shorter.

GB

theotherjonv

shit the bed gee. Just read your trace, how can you ride at average 90% heartrate for 2 3/4 hours!

gee
    Free Member

It’s not about average it’s about recovery speed on a course like that. Attack/rest/attack/rest etc…. Fast recovery on the flat and downhill bits is what you need. I doubt I could maintain 86% of max steady state for more than about 30 mins. If you look at the trace it dips quickly, which is me recovering. I also try to dictate the pace in the trails to give me time to recover, then attack when I am. The race today was a bit different as whenever Scott or I attacked a little bit we’d hit back markers and we’d bunch up again, hence the very close result. At a National race such issues don’t really exist so it would have been a different result – not sure who would have won out of Scott and myself at today’s race but it wouldn’t have been a win by 1 second if we’d had a clearer track. That’s why it was such a fun race! No room for mistakes…

As a comparison, here’s someone else’s trace from the 4hr race. they were going a lot slower than me (10 mins per lap slower) but still managed an 83% average: GB

bigdaddy

Another vote for a great day’s racing, even if I paid for having a virus for the last 2 weeks and expired on my 4th lap. The course was really, really good, cheers to the organisers again – I loved it too…

Janesy
    Free Member

Really good day! great course. Shame about my snapped chain on the 5th lap. Had to walk back 1km to repair – Couldnt use spare links…
    25th place turned in to god knows what. last? heh thanks :p

Njee20 – Unless I said hello at the end with someone with the same bike, you or the person denied it was you. I was very confused.

Didn’t know your bike ws that common.

pants
    Free Member

GB:

Could you take off the GPS Link please? Not good for MoD relations. Cheers.

t_i_m
    Free Member

That was my first experience of an event like that. I plodded around for four slow laps. It was a real eye openener (and somewhat dispiriting) to see so many people overtake me so quickly!
    Still, good course, well organised and good fun.

allthepies
    Free Member

Are the 2hr Male results screwed up ? Apparently gee was beaten by a bloke who took 3h 41m and lapped slowed than gee in all his laps 😉

(With a “4” race number prefix I guess he’s a 4hr rider in the wrong result category).

schmiken

That was a lot of fun – but bloody hard. I may have been the rider you saw – I didn’t crash but my saddle decided to go for an impromptu flying lesson 🙁

pants
    Free Member

Cheers GB 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Njee20 – Unless I said hello at the end with someone with the same bike, you or the person denied it was you. I was very confused.

Nope wasn’t me! There’s a few TF9.9s out there.

pants
    Free Member

Blimey Round 2 will be upon soon! 🙂

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Good to see one of your slaves prepping the course today Pants – painstakingly removing each fallen leaf with a pair of tweezers 😀

pants
    Free Member

😀

adeward
    Free Member

I’m going to round two this weekend, should be fun as I am bringing my new estay 29 er should be fun with untried bike

Clink

I’m going to round two this weekend, should be fun as I am bringing my new estay 29 er should be fun with untried bike

Look forward to having a look. 😀 I’ll be on the old-school O-O ti 29er.

pants
    Free Member

Tunnel Hill is in pretty dam good shape! 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

How good? Rocket Rons still alright, or do we need the Dirty Dans!?

H
    Free Member

^ similar lines to what I was thinking! Racing Raplhs or Trailrakers?

njee20
    Free Member

My guess will be something in the middle of those!

Jason
    Free Member

It was Rocket Ron conditions over there yesterday, and wife was going well on Crossmarks. Hopefully whatever falls out of the sky tonight will have drained away by Sunday.
    njee, I should be able to provide a cloakroom service on the start line again, as long as you are somewhere near the front.

adeward
    Free Member

Just trying to decide gels or mince pies,,,

High 5 or mulled wine

Tyre choice is easy mountain king 2.4 due to the fact that they are the only 29 er tyres I have

pants
    Free Member

Mince Pies and Mulled Wine all the way!!!!!!!!! 😀

njee20
    Free Member

njee, I should be able to provide a cloakroom service on the start line again, as long as you are somewhere near the front.

Good man! 🙂

Looks like a lot more rain/snow before Sunday, rubbish!

pants
    Free Member

Should be a cracker 2moz! The course is in great shape as well!! 8)

gee
    Free Member

Yep – it was in great shape today 🙂

pants
    Free Member

Not sure yet, but we have a prize for X amount of entry’s on Christmas Day!!

Plus our internal sweep stake on how many entry’s today!!! 🙂 Not saying N E 1 is bored!

pants
    Free Member

Not long now til Rnd 3 where does time go?

There is pre-view video on youtube of the cse via Ben Thomas racing or 1st Gear Cycles through Facebook.

rootes1

GB:

Could you take off the GPS Link please? Not good for MoD relations. Cheers.

Hi pants,

if this a real issue? Garmin Connect is full of GPS on MOD land – Lots round tunnel, porridge etc as well

Si

pants
    Free Member

rootes1

Yepp it is a bit of an issue, I know about Garmin, but its the publishing on event websites and forums which is the major issue, can’t stop but can try and manage it though.

Janesy
    Free Member

Pants – is it possible to change my entry name? I cant find a contact number.

Any help appriciated.

Thanks

pants
    Free Member

Any name or category changes can be done by email via, info@gorrick.com
    😀

Janesy
    Free Member

Cheers sent.
    Thanks

pants
    Free Member

See you all at the weekend for the finale! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Merida Brass Monkeys Winter Series 2011/12’ is closed to new replies.