Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Merger of the Forestry Commission, CCW, and Environment Agency in Wales
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

The merger of the Forestry Commission, Countryside Council, and Environment Agency in Wales to create a new ‘Single Environment Body’ was announced today:

http://wales.gov.uk/topics/environmentcountryside/consmanagement/seb/?lang=en

This will include a lot of the recreation work in Wales, including mountain biking. There will be a consultation period starting in the new year, in case you’d like to add your tuppence worth (and lets face it STW usually has something to say about most things … 🙂 )

Its going to continue to be ‘interesting’ times for some of us for a while …

bikebouy
    Free Member

Joined up thinking?

Good thing IMO.

Save all that duplication/planning issues and free up a bit of dosh for regeneration,

psling
    Free Member

Was always going to be the likely outcome purely on cost grounds. There are historical conflicts of interests between the 3 bodies so it will be interesting to see how they reconcile their different roles into 1 management body.

Kuco

This has been on the cards for a while.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Kuco – It has, I’ve been working on parts of it for a while.

Decision was finally made by the Minister today, so it’s the definite confirmation that it’ll be going ahead.

There will be some changes, so it’ll be interesting to see how it all pans out. Obviously some concerns amongst existing staff, and as yet a degree of uncertainly as to the role and functions of the new body (personally I’m keen to see recreation – biking, climbing etc – still having a strong remit!)

Will also be interesting to see what impact it has in England, given that it will affect both the Forestry Commission and the Environment Agency over the border. Might also bring in some changes in Scotland with regards to the Forestry Commission.

Kuco

Won’t affect EA’s op’s delivery thank god 😉

bagpuss72
    Free Member

They’ve been talking about more of this sort of collaboration since I did alot of work with the Cumbrian lot years ago, good to hear I know 2 out of the 3 are into their mountain biking trails and centres don’t know much about the E.A’s stance on it I only ever worked with them on local nature reserve (water) based projects – all good to hear though hope it works and there’s not to much banging egos…!! 😛

Pigface
    Free Member

We will all be one big happy family allegdly 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

Given that afforestation is a major source of environmental destruction and pollution in Wales it would make one of the major polluters responsible for policing itself. Never a good idea.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Does that mean you’re now in charge of the whole of Walez, Sue? 😀

Can I get an extension on me Oyster card, so’s I can get cheap travel up to Llandudno?

Sue_W
    Free Member

Pigface – feeling the love already 🙂 Maybe we should have a special STW’ers handshake for when we become as one …

Elfin – I’m far too small to be important, and I much prefer it that way! And no, you can’t extend that city card over the border, you need your passport first.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Merger of the Forestry Commission, CCW, and Environment Agency in Wales’ is closed to new replies.