Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mercedes Vito – anything to look out for?
  • mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I’m thinking of buying a cheap van for a couple of months use. I’ve only got £750 and I’ve seen a 2000 Mercedes Vito 110 that could fit the bill.
    140,000 on the clock with a 12 month mot.
    Anything I should look out for? Any major faults? I know it’s old but I don’t need it for long . . .

Thanks

jam-bo

I think the electrics are supposed to be a bit special on them.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Rust.. that age merc is very prone to rusting

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Rust.
    Electrics.
    Faulty Injectors.
    Faulty Glow Plugs.
    More Rust.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Mmm doesn’t look rusty in the pics.

Is there anything better at that price point? I should imagine they’re all a gamble.

porter_jamie

is 2000 a mk1? rust usually finishes them off. if its got 12 months mot then crack on for 750 quid.

ahwiles
    Free Member

anything to look out for?

they’re shit?

get a toyota hiace.

mrhoppy

Anyone mentioned rust yet?

benji
    Free Member

Definitely rust, and rear coil springs they seem to eat them.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Rust plus injectors…

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Steering wheel isn’t central either! Not obvious until someone points it out, then really annoying. Sorry! 😉

Search for ‘black death’:
    http://www.benzworld.org/forums/v-class/

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

maccruiskeen

get a toyota hiace.

The trouble with the Hiace is hardly anyone buys them new so there practically non to choose from second hand and at @ £750 you’re limited to shopping for whatevers on your doorstep.

Looking on ebay nationwide theres just 6 Hiaces currently sitting at under a grand (and theres only about 100 odd Hiaces for sale in total) compared to about 60 Vitos under a grand and 300 transits (out of over 5000).

Vitos are prone to rust but typically (and the same is true of sprinters of the same vintage) the only rust where you can see in, they don’t tend to rust anywhere thats going to worry your MOT. So long as you can happy yourself that theres not rust where it would cause problems (look at the MOT for advisories as well as around the sills and at the crossmember behind the grill) then the advantage of the rust and reputation for rust is it pushes the price down of otherwise useful and serviceable van.

Injector seals are an issue with the CDI engines only in the sense that mechanics are scared of them and quote high. If you ever have a problem with them walk away from any mechanic that can’t give you a fixed price to do them, quoting high or not being able to fix a price means they’re not experienced or equipped to the the job. I had mine done by a guy that travels the UK only doing CDI injectors – agreed the price in advance of even seeing the van – £350, done 3 years ago and still fine. He’s had customers who’d been quoted £4.5k by garages.

To see if injectors are an issue listen for a sort of a rhythmic popping / ch ch ch chuffing sound when the engine is running, which is exhaust gases getting through the seal. Under the bonnet look for a brittle tar- like residue around the top of the engine – almost looks like marmite. It can be hidden by the plastic cover on the top of the engine though – remove that cover if you can or look for residue around it (feel for it down the back of the engine where you can’t see), or evidence of a clean up to hide it. This is part burnt fuel that getting past the injector seal and solidifying.

If theres no devils marmite, and no chuffing then good. Even if it did start to chuff then mine ran fine like that for over a year before I became enough of a problem to have to fix.

I’ve not had any glow plug issues with my current CDI engine – its a 2001, I’ve had it for 8 years and its now on 325k miles. A previous merc did (at around 245k) but it was only a problem starting from absolutely cold in the coldest weather. A quick squirt of easy start would over come that and I only needed it on the first start of the day.

singletrackmind

Exactly what he said ^ ^^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Plus tight gearboxes . Ours was almost undrivable form cold, even with a recon box which was only marginally better.

The injector seals that fail also cause a funny smell , hot and sulphery and not at all pleasant.

Twas the injectors that finally killed ours. Seemed to go through front tyres at a rate as well. We got £450 from a breakers collected for ours , so £750 isnt so much of gamble.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Thanks chaps very useful advice, I think I’ll have a look at it tomorrow.

Cheers!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mercedes Vito – anything to look out for?’ is closed to new replies.