Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mental note on snapped chains
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Don’t assume your cassette is fine because it’s only got a couple of hundred miles on it with all new drivetrain. 200 miles of driving later I was single-speeding a full sus around Gisburn.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is your cassette made out of cheese then? Thats a lot of wear in only 200 miles. The new chain might stretch in, or was one of the links stiff?

What was wrong with your front rings too?

glenp
    Free Member

Wouldn’t normally expect it to break the chain – chains break sometimes, you’re probably reading too much into it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Oh did I read it wrong? I read it that the chain snapped, replaced and then drove to Gisburn to find that new chain wont work with the cassette and drive train… I am assuming cassette and drive train are the same age that is

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes the OP is slightly unclear.

Perhaps further discussion should await OP’s confirmation of what exactly happened.

allthepies
    Free Member

Any phool tests a new chain fitting before venturing out 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Any phool tests a new chain fitting before venturing out

Yup, me’s the fool. 🙂 XT cassette put on about 2 years ago with new LX cranks and new SRAM chain. Covered about 200 miles, 300 at most, two successive chain snaps later (over a 6 month period, not much riding) and I need to use it for the weekend. Buys a new chain assuming ive damaged the previous two with lack of love. New chain slips like crazy but I only found that out when I got there. As usual, cassette looks visually fine, rings are fine, chain has no stiff links.

I just seem to eat cassettes to be honest, I had an XTR that lasted next to no miles (ok, literally about 150 miles of heavy use).

pixelmix
    Free Member

Sounds like there is something fishy going on here? Unless you are pouring bags of salty gravel onto your drivetrain before and after every ride, surely the cassette should last longer than that?!

Waderider
    Free Member

had an XTR that lasted next to no miles (ok, literally about 150 miles of heavy use).

This is silly now. Can I join in and say I ruined a cassette in 200 yards of cycling? I win!

aracer
    Free Member

I’m suspicious about OP’s spannering skills and mechanical sympathy given two broken chains in 300 miles.

AndrewBF
    Free Member

It’s a sign, how many more hints do you need? Singlespeed from now on.

nbt

I’d be checking your frame alignment if you’re going through cassettes at that rate, something’s not right

coffeeking
    Free Member

My spannering skills and mechanical sympathy are fine thanks 😀 though I can see the thinking! The XTR one was a long time ago, and I was gutted due to it being all nice and titaniumy. It was succeeded by several XT’s that lasted a long time. Bit dissappointed with this one though. I’ve not been the most attentive of carers I have to admit, but it’s been lubed regularly and cleaned of the majority of the gunk on it.

My chains are snapping by parting plates (both times I’ve caught it with one plate detached, removed the link, checked for stiff links and continued on my way only to snap it again a ride or so later. I’ve had the odd mis-shift and very occasionally screwed up and shifted under load but it’s a once in a blue moon thing, no different treatment to any other cassette/chain I’ve had.

Ho hum, irritating. I’d love to go SS all the time but this left me with some seriously burning kneecaps, not sure I should continue with it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mental note on snapped chains’ is closed to new replies.