Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Men's quality Casual shoes?
  • jekkyl

recommendations please for a pair of quality men’s outdoors shoes. The sort of shoe I’m after is a cross between trainers and shoes but more trainer than shoe, like a trainer but no white bits to go grey and with decent black (or dark) leather uppers. Basically a pair of shoes that I can wear for every activity that is it not work, (and not cycling) has to look good with shorts. I’ve had a pair of these and I like them a lot, but after 13 months the stitching came away and the leather ripped so I couldn’t get them repaired. so after recommendations for manufacturers like Skechers or Clarks and if you want to suggest a partic model feel free. Budget is up to about £100 but if I’m paying over £50/60 quid they need to last!
    Thanks.

allthepies
    Free Member

^^^ aka computer programmer shoes.

jamj1974

^^ If only you were joking!

stu170
    Free Member

Etnies dory

jekkyl

crikey those are awful! that wasn’t a serious suggestion?

crikey
    Free Member

No, it was the first thing I saw when I looked for ‘old man shoes*’. Unfortunately, I’m now getting ads for generously sized underpants and slacks…

I go for Merrel things, I’m sure there’s something to suit.

*I’m old.

theotherjonv

For on-trend style* points

* if your style icons are Made in Chelsea / LAMFRT

Otherwise, something like

http://www.next.co.uk/g532506s5#407993

(not sure why pics are so small!!)

aP
    Free Member

Have you tried Geox? I’ve had 2 pairs of leather/ mesh relaxed trainery type shoes and also have a pair of brogue style boots. They lightweight but seem to last well, although I’ve noticed no apparent benefit from the air sole…

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have a couple of paris of Redskins (bought in france but available on website below) 1 pair all black with suede-ish uppers and blacks soles and one blue pair with white soles. Fairly light weight design I would say. Smart enough to wear out, also goodnwith shorts. I can’t say whether they will last you – mine are 3 years old.

Edit: mine are a bit like the “Yagou” sort cheapest first

Link

maccruiskeen

For that kind of shoe I’ve probably had the best wear our of Sketchers and Catapillar

Bear
    Free Member

Has to be Merrell or Timberland if you find some in a sale.

maccruiskeen

More trainer-y but the Nike Freerun type shoes with the squishy marshmallow sole can be had in sober colours rather than the more common dayglo neons

I’ve got some in anthracite – for something so weightless and insubstantial they’re actually incredibly hard wearing. I’ve had mine for about 4 years

Of course the problem with recommending anything for longevity – by the time shoes have proved themselves to be long-lasting they’re usually not for sale anymore 🙂

LeeW

[*]Ecco are half decent, always had their golf shoes years ago and they were always good quality.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Merrells moabs, in Walnut or Earth Brown, currently cheap on Amazon.

Sizing is a bit weird, I have to go up .5, but free returns.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000LP11AW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Scarpa

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Adidas Jeans Mk2

jekkyl

Thanks all, ecco have a great range.
    http://www.eccoshoesuk.com/ecco-hayes-lace-up/p2962

MSP

Merrell freewheel are pretty decent.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Scarpa

That narrows it down 😉

lambchop
    Free Member

Art Skylines, chunky, skate-esque and water resistant. Had a pair for about 5 years can see them lasting a lot longer than that.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

chunky

I guess you could say that…

lambchop
    Free Member

Yep, they’re the ones. Love mine, so comfy.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Longest lasting shoes I’ve ever had are M&S, approx 6 years and still nice enough to wear to interviews.

zippykona

Skylines look good. Can you tell me if they’ve taken a perfectly good pair of breathable leather shoes and lined it with foam and nylon?
    Why most shoes manufacturers do it I don’t know and it really **** me off.

yunki
    Free Member
    suburbanreuben
    Free Member

El naturalista…

http://www.elnaturalista.com/en/man

or Ecco Biom
    are damn comfy

aracer
    Free Member

Approach shoes? As a generic recommendation for something to search for rather than a specific suggestion.

I have to admit I’m after something similar but different. I want a properly smart looking shoe (not suit smart, just not obviously trainers – most of the suggestions on here are just a little too casual) but with a sole suitable for riding on flat pedals (specifically a unicycle, where I need my feet not to be slipping off the pedals). Those Merrels come close, if only they didn’t have that ubiquitous white band around the sole.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Had some goretex ecco trainers from TK Maxx a while back for about £30, might be worth a look on their site?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Crocs and socks just give in…. ooohh and a nice cardy

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just looking at some nice Reef Rovers myself now 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

*wistfully remembers the days when CFH was an authority on sartorial matters*

rone

Meindl do loads of things like this.

drlex
    Free Member

Not laces, but I had a pair of Camper shows similar to these loafers. Acceptable at work, and light & comfortable for casual wear, until my wife’s stupid horse trod on the back of one and it ripped as I lifted my foot.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thegreatape, compared to many of the above suggestions, I remain the paragon of style! (They were Specialized 2FO flat pedal shoes, BTW. Had been riding during a work trip to Montana)

Clarks Desert Wellies today. Dark brown.

jamj1974

I’ve never felt so damn stylish in my life. Largely because most of the above would never get near my feet!

teasel
    Free Member

Merrel Annex Mid. Not a fan of the weird jagged bit on the edge but they’re bloody comfortable and fit with your requirements for a dark and more trainer like shoe…

Edit : Reviews claim they’re bad on wet grass and wet roots but I’ve yet to find anything that isn’t – more grip than some comments would lead you to believe.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I’ve never felt so damn stylish in my life. Largely because most of the above would never get near my feet!

I never realised STW was such an orthopedic shoe convention 😀

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Wow, I’ve just learned never to seek any fashion advice on this forum 😛

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thegreatape, compared to many of the above suggestions, I remain the paragon of style! (They were Specialized 2FO flat pedal shoes, BTW. Had been riding during a work trip to Montana)

I know. Since I also have some 2FOs and some Wallabees, I will restore you to your rightful place 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Men's quality Casual shoes?’ is closed to new replies.