Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Meniscus surgery – any experiences??
  • wornout
    Free Member

Has anyone been through this? I’ve had a meniscus tear left over from unsuccessful repair surgery about three years ago. Its now causing sharp pains, constant soreness, and an inability to press with any decent strength on the pedals. Walking hurts, the knee aches and in short i’ve had enough of it.

I’ve done all the physio asked of me (and more!), have good strength but it’s like a pebble in my shoe and seems to defeat me everytime l want to get on the bike.

It looks like i’d have to have a lot of the meniscus (medial) out, as the repair didnt work last time and is unlikely to work again. I’m really worried about the future health of my knee though.

Has anyone been through this? And what was the outcome? I used to race and l guess i’ll have to knock that on the head but i’d be happy enough to just get out on the bike at all.

Any thoughts / experience appreciated!

RV
    Free Member

I’m going in to have a tear repaired in a few weeks. It’s a knee that I had ACL & PCL reconstruction on 10 years ago but has started to collapse rendering me a bloody mess on the floor. I did have pain about a year or so after the construction and they cleaned up my meniscus by key hole and till now never had a problem.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I’ve had some out. It’s never quite the same again, but mine now seems to have stabilised a lot… I rarely get bad knee days now. Singlespeeding seems to help.

The future? Gawd knows. It’s there for a reason, so I guess one day I’ll most likely have bother.

wornout
    Free Member

ormondroyd – how much did you have removed? I’m looking at over half 😯

ormondroyd
    Free Member

About a third.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Had both knees done. Right knee 8 years ago. Left knee 2 years ago. Back racing now (Road /MTB). Took it easy coming back and made sure i had a good base before strength work. Had to have a full season out. Left leg still isnt as strong as right even now and was visibly smaller for months after.

Knees are ‘not right’ and even coming down stairs am still careful. Have accepted that they will never be right and simply try and build as much muscle around knee’s as possible. Hard races or long sessions make my knees hurt. Still take ibuprofen and diclofenac to try and sort swelling.

Its now causing sharp pains, constant soreness, and an inability to press with any decent strength on the pedals. Walking hurts, the knee aches and in short i’ve had enough of it.

That was exactly what I had and couldnt even stand on one leg. It was the sharp pain in certain positions and my knee would feel like it would ‘collapse’.

I wouldnt despair just yet as I have returned racing and have just accepted that it will take a while to get back to where I was.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I end up being careful of things like standing on that leg on the bus as it stops sharply. It’s lateral forces like that that seem to make me most nervy.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 (so far) and a plica done on the same knee.Still missing a bit of movement and can’t walk for more than an hour without pain.So I just ride everywhere instead.

crapknees
    Free Member

Margin Walker – when you say the knee isn’t ‘right’, what do you mean? Is is a pain thing or do you just feel it isn’t the same due to a loss of strength?

If the option is there to have it repaired, i’ll take it over having a piece removed. I imagine this is unlikely though. Did you have repair or removal?

RoterStern
    Free Member

I personally think a lot has to do with who performs the operation. I had a meniscus op five years ago (had a the torn part removed and the cartilage behind the knee cap smoothed) and since then I haven’t any problems at all with that knee. The surgeon only does knee ops and his partner in the practise only shoulders where I went to.

Scamper
    Free Member

I have a bit snipped off every few years from my original injury 21 years ago when my knee seemed to explode for little reason, and I’m only 40. My surgeon now smooths the bone off too. As above, knee swells every now and again, aches after a really rocky ride, take it steady coming down stairs and arthritis stops me if it’s cold, but all in all fine considering i was told i’d need a knee replacement at 45.see no reason why you can’t keep racing.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Knee isnt in pain and only pain I get is if I use big gears or ride all day. Training camps make my knees ache. If I do a hilly MTB ride(low cadence powerclimbs) my knees ache for a few hours afterwards which I can deal with. But if I didnt ride a bike for 2 days they wouldnt ache. However, I get a pain in the knee like a hot knitting needle in certain positions. I wouldnt be confident coming down stairs carrying something in both hands. I wouldnt put all my weight through my right knee in a bent position. Stupidly went snowboarding for a week and couldnt finish the week my knees were so sore/swollen. 1 week later ok again.I just try and manage what I do. Used to play lots of squash (LOTS) and thats how I did 1st injury. Full weight on one leg in bent position palying a shot. Would nevere attempt to pay again. Still , 3 hours on road bike spinnning gears on winter runs and no issues at all.

Similar to scamper above really. A long rocky descent kills me. Switched to full suss in and attempt to allow me to stay seated longer and not use my knees as suspension.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

crapknees – Member

Margin Walker – when you say the knee isn’t ‘right’, what do you mean? Is is a pain thing or do you just feel it isn’t the same due to a loss of strength?

Just meant it can feel fine but know that when knee is loaded and bent I am guaranteed sharp pain that will literally floor me. If I avoid doing certain things then no issues…but I still know the knee isnt right.

goby

Hi, that’s not sounding very good I got a knee problem to as im going in for a arthroscopy of the knee at the end of October as the results of my MRI scan told them that I have torn the cartilage on the outside of my left knee and sprained the ACL ligament. Was just wondering if there is anything I should ask about to help the recovery so I can get back on the bike also!

motozulu
    Free Member

I’ve had both knees done more than once down the years due to football. I have 60% left in right leg and 70% in the other. Last operations (both knees) were 10 years ago – I’m now 50 and still play 5-a-side now and again with no issues and have’nt had a days discomfort since coming home from the hospital with both knees squelching. 😆

As someone said – a lot depends on the surgeon and how you rehabilitate afterwards – I was lucky in that I had private health at the time and the surgeon was so good he normally only did professional footballers. The rehabilitation is crucial and can shape how the knee is in the future – it is worth paying a private physio for some sessions where they will concentrate on building the muscles around the knee – you will lose some muscle bulk during your convalescence and you will need to have those muscles stronger than ever to protect the joint and cartiledge.
    The surgeon told me there was a chance I could develop arthritis later on but so far, I bike ride a hardtail on red routes and play football and in 10 years, not a twinge. Good luck with it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Meniscus surgery – any experiences??’ is closed to new replies.