Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mendips route advice and what to expect.
  • sonofapitch
    Free Member

Was going to head to Exmoor but as this is a lot closer
    Thought we might give it a try.
    Any tips or advice (GPX)would be greatly apricated

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

At this time of year, expect dry, fast trails some moderately rocky and rooty.

A fair mix of doubletrack and singletrack on the main rights of way, but all the good riding is off piste. I don’t track with a GPS I’m afraid.

Areas to pay attention to will be Rowberrow for DH trails,Blackdown for general hill riding, Burrington Ham for singletrack cheek round the ancient fort, Cheddar Gorge for decent rocky descending (will be busy at the weekend) and Crook Peak/kings wood for some decent singletrack that contours the hill (can be seen on google earth).

You can use the Strawberry line (disused railway) to link alot of stuff together. Parking is best at any of the car parks at Burrington (top and bottom), the swan at Rowberrow or the layby at quarry lane, Sandford. There are plenty of other places to park, like NT carpark off the axbridge by pass, or Cheddar itself. It’ll depend on where you’re coming from.

jam-bo

I’d go to the quantocks…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I would too.
    😉

hugor
    Free Member

I did the Cheddar Challenge route last month which is published in the south west mtb guide book.
    There are a few great descents there and its a very scenic ride.
    Now’s the time to ride there if you ever will as the place looks like it becomes a bogfest after a bit of rain.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Think we will do the Cheddar challenge route to get the lay if the land.
    Cheers peeps

Candodavid
    Free Member

When you going?

flatfish
    Free Member

It was awful today, I’d look elsewhere.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Just finished and now having a Cider and waiting for my mixed grill in the Sidcot Arms:)
    Rocky decents and dust everywhere
    It was bloody rubbish so stay away 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mendips route advice and what to expect.’ is closed to new replies.