Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mendips Riders – Badger’s Arse trail
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Rode this for the first time on Saturday, very, very good! Anyone know how it got its name? There was a dead badger right at the start, but I guess that isnt the reason?

Also, when it clearly splits on the OS map, it the higher or lower track the best? Higher looks like it will end up steeper, we took the lower before we realise what was happening.

cheers

Candodavid
    Free Member

Try not to promote this trail too much as your riding a SSSI. Bat boxes in the trees if you look around.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Just checking – that’s the one where you take the steep track over the quarry, then descend and it ends up at the petrol station [trying not to give too much away], right?

I like the lower public footpath through the tight trees – it’s quite virgin.

I agree about not advertising, and without wanting to start a row about legality… I don’t see how cycling down this right-of-way disturbs nesting bats any more than walking it, esp. with a dog. Either way, from the virgin condition of the trail, you can tell it’s not overused – lets keep it that way!

I think it got it’s name from night-riding adventures and badgers fleeing into their holes.

nickegg
    Free Member

When doing the usual loop of Blackdown/Roeberrow hows the best way to add this trail into it? back up alongside the big quarry and race circuit?

I usually start rides in that area from the bottom of Burrington Coombe.

elliptic
    Free Member

First rule of fight club…

nickegg
    Free Member

Yeah Yeah 🙄

acjim
    Free Member

I’d love to know, if anyone wants to email me? I’m localish.
    thanks!
    jimjamesjamesh (at) googlemail.com

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I rode from Kingswood carpark, up and down Crook Peak (via another, new to me, very sweet, singletrack descent to Cross), road towards Cheddar, up the Yoghurt trail (to the quarry), over the road to Badger’s, down to Cheddar, up the road (push through Velvet Bottom) to Black Down, down Limestone Link, over A38, pint at Rose and Crown, RUPP / Bridleway to Sandford, Strawbery Line back to Kingswood. Probably the best Mendips ride I’ve done, and proud to show the area off to a friend of mine.

BTW – there was definate DH evidence of others having ridden Badgers.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Oh yes, others ride Badgers.

We’re talking about the lower tree-lined FP Buzz.

Arguably riders may cause less disturbance since we’re quieter and are out of the area quicker, but I’m not sure English Nature would see it like that.

Its clearly a cheeky trail that can carry low levels of discrete mtb traffic. Up the frequency of use or number of riders too much and we’re going to hit trail use conflict issues with walkers, English Nature/Natural England, and the law will be very clearly be on their side.

To take in Badgers from Burrington would give you quite a big ride with some substantial climbing.

Push through Velvet bottom my arse. 😈

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I swear I pushed, from Black Rock to the outdoor centre anyway (maybe I rode down the limestone drops, just for fun on the way, but they’re bomb proof, like 50% of that footpath).

While we’re on the subject of the Mendips, can many of you clear the bend where East Twin Brook crosses Limestone Link? I cant do it for the world, my mate cleared it 5th or 6th time.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Badgers – burrington – crooks peak – blackdown – hams…and plenty of off piste DH in rowberrow….sounds like a normal sunday for us Scienceofficer!!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

In 2005 I could clear it at will. Then I got a proper job and my fitness and skills sank to depressingly low levels.

Happily now I’m unemployed, I’m getting fitter and more skilled again. I’m on the cusp of being able to ride it again I feel, but to be honest, we don’t ever session anything on our rides. Its the steep exit, sharp turn and weight shift on the exit thats the bugger.

Once you can do it in the winter, when all the rock is wet, you know you’re doing well.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Unfortunately for me, “on the cusp” also means on the cusp of tipping over into the gully… I think it’s probably worth sessioning if you’ve never cleared it, it’ll be a happy day for me when/if I do.

That track down the side of East Twin is interesting too…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

takes you down to the Burrington Road, and you can pick up some lovely roadside singletrack that the pot-holers use and it ends up finishing outside the Burrington Inn.

Handy that. 8)

Can get busy though, so watch out for two legged obstacles.

noteeth
    Free Member

Once you can do it in the winter, when all the rock is wet, you know you’re doing well.

Said feature has changed over the years. Mind you, as a kid, I rode everything flawlessly.* 8)

(*may or may not be true, jumpers for goalposts, etc)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mendips Riders – Badger’s Arse trail’ is closed to new replies.