Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 140 total)
  • men in tights?
  • enfht
    Free Member

Maybe man leotards are just an 80s revival thing.

Wiggle and CRC are selling pop socks and sweat bands.

Northwind

mattsccm – Member

Far more practical that bloody great baggies that get in the way.

You know what else is better than baggies that get in the way? Decent baggies that fit and don’t get in the way.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I went round Cannock chase in the recent snow while wearing dhb tights. Got a funny look or two but could’not really give a toss as my legs were warm. I like warm.

_tom_
    Free Member

I wear them under my baggies when it gets cold on the road bike. Seems to make my knees hurt a lot less! Keeps me nice and warm as well 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I don’t have an issue really, wear what you want and feel comfortable in. However, now more and more people are getting into it who don’t come from an XC or roadie background, so it’s bound to develop it’s own fashions. Even back in the 90’s, we came from a walking/climbing background and used MTBs as just another way to get out in the wild and didn’t do lycra, we just dressed in walking gear with a bum bag with a few tools in. I’ve always since the mid 90’s worn shorts because roadie lycra was alien and just plain wrong. Possibly, subliminally, we didn’t want to associate ourselves with ‘them/that’, I’m not sure tbh. Nothing has changed for me in 20 years other than shorts fashion has gone a bit longer.

yodagoat
    Free Member

I’m the same B.A. I don’t have an issue with my mates being transvestites. If folk are comfortable wearing their wife’s tights when oot on their bike that fine with me.
    Folk should wear what ever they feel comfortable in.
    But at what cost??

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

lets just make this clear, i don’t want to be linked in anyway with the beardy, trailquest, Marin, Ronhill brigade, either.

andypaul99
    Free Member

[quotecan someone explain to me why a lot of xc riders wear tights/leggings. i saw a lot today in thetford[/quote]

Nothing strange about Lycra, but I do find it odd when I see riders on the trails with orange fives, full face helmets and body armour at Thetford…now that is strange

yodagoat
    Free Member

They’re just worried about hurting themselves. Nothing strange with self preservation. Now a man wearing women’s clothes outside a fancy dress situation? Thats strange.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Knee pads/knee shin keeps your legs warm 🙂

Endura bibs for when it’s really minging. Baggies for the win though. Not covering any fat really just have the scars to suggest something more than a mm of lycra is a good thing. 7 years of having no surface feeling on one of my thighs has got a bit boring now.

JoeG
    Free Member

yodagoat
    If folk are comfortable wearing their wife’s tights when oot on their bike that fine with me.
    Folk should wear what ever they feel comfortable in.
    But at what cost??

I guess that this is more comfortable, then? 😯

njee20
    Free Member

Now a man wearing women’s clothes outside a fancy dress situation

Now you’ve made the same ‘joke’ 14 times its got funny. Oh no, I mean pathetic! Silly me. 🙄

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Far more practical that bloody great baggies that get in the way.

I’m a big fan of both,

Nice warm tights, Then waterproof baggies over the top to keep my rear dry.

…the beardy, trailquest, Marin, Ronhill brigade…

Apart from the odd test ride in jeans and trainers to the end of the road and back to check the gears are working and so on, I’ve worn nothing but Lycra on a bike for over twenty years.
    However, I’ve got no objection to other people wearing whatever they want.
    In fact, the more people who handicap themselves by wearing impractical clothes, the faster I look.

neilm
    Free Member

Decent baggies

Isn’t that an oxymoron?

garage-dweller

Second the cold knees = slow and painful. I bought some knee warmers this winter. With my stumpy legs they meet my overshoes. Bib tights are great for the deep filth and really cold rides warmth and comfort trumps common decency/appearance any day. I may be a mamil but I am a warm comfy mamil.

Baggies for summer though. I have no idea why – maybe for a bit more abrasion resistance on dry chalk.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

at least you don’t have to put up with the mad Tasmanian thing of must wear shop lycra, out of 6 shops there were 2 sets of baggies. All sold the full billboard lycra get up which people actually pay money for.

FOG

Now mikewsmith that is an issue. Why do people pay often lots of money for team or shop kit? I like plain stuff with even the manufacturers logo as small and subtle as possible. They ought to pay you for riding with a shop name allover your back!

barty81
    Free Member

Now mikewsmith that is an issue. Why do people pay often lots of money for team or shop kit? I like plain stuff with even the manufacturers logo as small and subtle as possible. They ought to pay you for riding with a shop name allover your back!

You mean like this!

ads678

Why do we have to call them baggies any way? I know they always have been but i tend to wear decent well fitting shorts made of a durable material that will last a few decent falls, with enough space for some lycra and/or impact shorts underneath and pockets for my phone/wallet that will not look out of place wandering round the shops or boozer.

Tights under in the winter to keep you toasty warm though.

alex222
    Free Member

I love how people who wear 3/4 length endura style trousers can question why anyone would wear lycra.

Yes lycra can look wrong; however grown men with long shorts (or short longs) is beyond stupid looking.

FOG

He obviously deserves paying twice!

GrahamS

Yes lycra can look wrong; however grown men with long shorts (or short longs) is beyond stupid looking.

Score! I rode to work this morning in 3/4 bib tights with 3/4 length shorts over the top.

Wrong and stupid I may be – but I’m also warm, comfortable and dry. 😛

Function > Fashion

D0NK

I find it highly amusing when I see someone wearing shorts over lycra. Now that does require a discussion!

I sometimes do, normally for practicality, sometimes for modesty. If it’s wet some waterproof shorts to keep my arse dry, really cold road ride I’ll wear baggies or just gym shorts to keep frostbite from my nether regions, plenty of fleecy knee tights available not seen any fleecy crotched ones tho. In summer I’ll do long solo rides in just lycra cos it’s the most practical and comfy but social rides, dunno, it’s obvious plenty of other cyclists think it’s weird so I’ll go with the flow and wear baggies.

alex222
    Free Member

3/4 lycra is totally acceptable. 3/4 baggies totally unacceptable. Had you just had short length shorts over 3/4 lycra you would have been okay. You would have been exactly as warm.

D0NK

I love how people who wear 3/4 length endura style trousers can question why anyone would wear lycra.

dunno about 3/4ers but knee warmers (which end up looking like 3/4ers) are brilliant bits of kit, knees feel cold when the temp drops a few degrees, only really need to cover your ankles when it’s properly cold and if it’s wet then water/mud splashing off your ankles is better than soaking into tights.

edit

3/4 lycra is totally acceptable. 3/4 baggies totally unacceptable

oh well. Maybe waterproof 3/4ers for the extra splash protection for your knees, can’t see much point for none waterproof3/4er baggies. Maybe for the people who value warm knees but will not wear lycra ever

alex222
    Free Member

3/4 lycra fine, 3/4 baggies not so. IMHO

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lycra to keep the padding in place and the important bits steady.

Baggies for comfort, protection, mud collection. Unless 1/1000th matter then baggies on the mountain bike.

GrahamS

3/4 lycra is totally acceptable. 3/4 baggies totally unacceptable. Had you just had short length shorts over 3/4 lycra you would have been okay. You would have been exactly as warm.

Thanks, I’ll make a note.

Any suggestions how I keep my knees warm if I’m just wearing normal length shorts? Still a bit chilly first thing at the moment y’know.

alex222
    Free Member

Any suggestions how I keep my knees warm if I’m just wearing normal length shorts?

I rode to work this morning in 3/4 bib tights

I think you answered your own question earlier on.

nikxl
    Free Member

3/4 length shorts are perfectly acceptable…

If you are a middle aged ****, at the airport, with a tattoo of a football club crest on your lower leg, waiting to board an easy jet flight to Palma on which you will drink your duty frees, abuse the cabin crew and generally irritate decent folk.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Why does clothing create such debate? Really odd IMO. Wear what you like and what feels comfortable. I mix lycras and baggies, but favour the former because I find them more comfortable. And why the penis angst? Nobody is really looking and who cares (unless your the third Polish rider or our wife has been out posting 😉 ).

For VFM, it is a shame that Ronhills don’t reach higher up the back as they would be great all rounders IMO

GrahamS

3/4 length shorts are perfectly acceptable…
    If you are a middle aged ****

So… who likes short shorts?

nickc

Other people’s choice of clothes angst?

Really OP? your’e that insecure?

D0NK

For VFM, it is a shame that Ronhills don’t reach higher up the back as they would be great all rounders IMO

ronhills are to proper lycra, what….
    sod it there’s enough coffee/whisky/wine/food connoisseurs on this site to come up with your own analogy, point is ronhills are maybe a good start and possibly VFM but there’s much better kit out there without spending a fortune. IME etc

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

For about a decade RH were the “go-to” outdoor trouser (at least always seemed like that to me). I have walked, climbed, run, cycled, parapented, even ridden horses in them [latter not so good]!). I dont have any at the moment but was tempted by the £10 offer a while back!!!

yodagoat
    Free Member

Njee20, I take it you’re one of these tranny types too eh? I didn’t mean to offend you. You should be proud of who you are! Wear you’re wife’s tights with pride!

yodagoat
    Free Member

JoeG, you know quality when you see it.

PiknMix
    Free Member

My first ever geology field trip was with a geologist wearing Ron Hills, scarred me for life!

For me on the bike it’s usually bib shorts and baggies, road or mtb. My commute I just wear the race face jeans and change tops at Uni.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I have a few bits of Giordana kit with my LBS on it. But its cheaper than buying “Off the shelf” kit.

Doesn’t bother me one bit wearings someones logo. If i like the look of it I’ll buy it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘men in tights?’ is closed to new replies.