Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Memory Map is doggy dood
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I just downloaded the Memory Map software, paid £25 for a 750sq/km section or map and even though I have worked in IT for 12 years I can’t get the damn thing to work.

It is the most unintuitive piece of software I have ever used.

Any comments ?

Correction, I just figured it out, but as the resolution of the map is so bad I ended up activating the wrong area. I feel like I have been ripped off, 750sq/km for £25 covers such a small area and considering you can get the whole of Southern England it was money not well spent!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Good work.. 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

They’ve got a pretty extensive support forum. Mostly because of all the problems with it rather than all the answers. I’ve got my copy working on the iphone and mostly working on the ipad.

It’s actually very good once you get it working.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MSP

I find it rather easy to use.

sc-xc

I think it’s pretty straightforward…but I have worked in IT for 145 weeks.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I must confess I use it all the time so I’ve probably stopped noticing all the bugs 🙂

flanagaj
    Free Member

Having finally got it working, anyone able to help with where I can download the associated elevation data that goes with the 1:250000 maps ?

5thElefant
    Free Member

This post just prompted me to check the support forum to see if there was a solution to my ipad problem (the email gpx functionality stopped working with the last os upgrade). There is. I now have fully working copies on both devices.

So… try their support forum. It’s very good. 😯

cp

I dont work in IT and find it fine… Really good bit of kit actually. It looks a bit nasty in its ‘office IT developed’ unique way, but it works great. Generally find the cost is similar or much less than paper maps.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Struggle to see what that gives you over google earth ?

I think I am going to just uninstall it and except it was a waste of £25

cnud
    Free Member

Google earth is just not that great when your lost on a foggy hilltop with no phone signal ! oh, and elevation data is a free download off their website. The maps can be found on t’internet if your so inclined

IA

Folks on this thread may be interested:

On an ipad or iphone, maps.bing.com will give you clicky-draggy, pinchy-zoomy OS mapping down to 1:25k, for free, if you have a net connection. Bit slow, but handy.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

OS mapping. End of.

MrOvershoot

flanagaj – Member

I just downloaded the Memory Map software, paid £25 for a 750sq/km section or map and even though I have worked in IT for 12 years I can’t get the damn thing to work.

It is the most unintuitive piece of software I have ever used.

Any comments ?
    Not just you.

Been using both MM & Tracklogs for the last 5 years & despite having the whole of the UK on MM I will still use Tracklogs out of choice as I find MM frustrating.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I prefer Anquet to MM, but i have 1:25k for MM so it gets used more.

CountZero

I think I am going to just uninstall it and except it was a waste of £25

Well, it gives you highly accurate maps that actually work when there’s no phone signal, like when your out in a remote part of the country and might actually need a map…
    Google Maps are utterly useless without a phone signal. I suggest you go out to the middle of Dartmoor or the Beacons when it’s foggy and try navigating with Google Maps when the signal vanishes. As it happens I had Memory Map on my phone for a bit, but ditched it for Viewranger when it became available because I already had the DVD with the whole UK on. I just add 1:25k sections where they’re most useful.

Ambrose

And with the V5 (which you more than likely have) you are able to calibrate your own maps. Which means that you can get free 1;25000 OS maps of anywhere you want in the UK, and many places abroad too and use them on your PC and GPS enabled device(s).

Which is VERY nice indeed.

http://mobac.dnsalias.org/

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Memory Map is doggy dood’ is closed to new replies.