Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • memory foam mattresses help
  • bruneep

Right-0 fed up looking about at memory foam mattresses there seem to be 500 squillion different types.

What should I look for and what should I avoid. What’s good and what’s not.

what price should I be paying for a good quality matress.

Ta

B

dobo
    Free Member

well i dont know much about these things but i know what i like and what i dont and it goes like this

i really dont like memory foam

i really do like mattresses that are pocket sprung and have padded goose feather cushioning on top.

if you sleep with someone then try out the bed with both people on it, borrow a ‘friend’ and go shopping 🙂

pullfaces
    Free Member

Bruneep
    What percentage of your life do you spend in bed and would you consider spending that percentage of your income on it?
    I bought a memory foam mattress about a month ago. I just went out and did it without testing. Stupid maybe, but I really needed a new mattress and I’m very happy with it.
    At first I thought it was like touching a dead animal because it was so different to old one, but now don’t think about it.
    What I would say is, yes, if you can, try one out first, but spend as much as you can afford on one. It will still be less than a third of the income you earn whilst you own it.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

bruneep, the key thing is not the memory foam itself, but the springs underneath. Pocket springs are best as they provide better support, but the memory foam on enhances the support and comfort. When we got one we were going to bed early for a week because the experience of being in bed was just so good. Ours came from John Lewis and I think cost about £800

petrieboy

we went out to buy i memory foam mattress and bed 6 months ago. guy in the shop advised against (the more expensive) 100% foam mattress and we decided on a pocket sprung and memory foam topped model. his reason being that 100% foam tends to hold you in position so restricting your natural tendency to move during the night (he also said 100% foam are popular with very old people for this reason)
    the pocket sprung one is hugely comfortable and very stable. well recommended

unsponsored
    Free Member

We had one, the inner foam not the memory part broke down. The mattress wouldn’t recover back to its normal shape. After loads of research went for a madrid model from bedlum beds. foam top and bottom and springs inbetween. This means it can be turned and flipped and will therefore last longer. Picked up a KS mattress for £430 or there abouts.

40mpg

Get a vented one as things tend to get quite warm, especially when getting ‘energetic’. You’ll also have to put a bit more effort in when gettin jiggy as theres no bounce effect.

Sorry but you gotta consider these things ;o)

timdrayton
    Free Member

looked at an assortment of different mattresses, then opted for a memory foam mattress topper, (basically a couple of inches of memory foam to go on top of your existing mattress).

this was because i was told you dont need the extra 3″, and it cost £1000 less, the 2″ matress toppers are about £50 in nettos at the mo (for a king size)

i have a £100 2″ matress topper from slumberland and it does the job, its identical to the nettos versionnfor £50…. gutted

Surfr
    Free Member

Tried loads out and nothing came close to the Tempur 25cm foam I ended up with. It may have been over a grand but It’s a great investment and has already made leaps and bounds towards helping my back and neck pain.

JackHardcore
    Free Member

I just bought a Silentnight Miracoil Memory matress a few weeks ago.

I’ts pocket sprung with a memory foam layer at the top, medium/firm and ultra comfortable.

Paid about £300 for the double… cant see how any mattress could be more comfortable sof or the price I think it was a steal!

STATO
    Free Member

i got a cheap (relative to others) Foam mattress from IKEA, its dead thin and ive got it on one of their solid wood bases. Far and away the best bed ever! had a fair few family friends use it now when they visit and everyone loves it. My personal opinion is if you get a good foam mattress then you dont need all that fancy coil rubbish underneath as you supported evenly over it anyway.

tinribz
    Free Member

We got a 10cm memory + 10cm normal foam kingsize from http://www.mymemorymattress.co.uk or maybe
    http://www.memoryfoammattressdirect.co.uk, can’t remember which. Anyway they are very different to springs but I wouldn’t go back. Had been looking to get one from http://www.ergoflex.co.uk but the’d sold out.

Back ache totally disappeared and the pillows are great for your neck too. They feel weird at first because it can take a while to sink in as you heat it up. If you sleep on your side you need the softer 10cm+ depth.

wors

i got one like jack hardcore ( nice name)

be warned it’s very hard to get out of bed because they are soooooooooo comfy!!

scuttler

Take time out to go and try some. Not sure where you are but I would recommend Ponsfords in Sheffield and of course John Lewis. We got a Kaymed pocket sprung + memory foam from Ponsfords and they gave us a good discount. One thing we were told and have definitely noticed is they’re warmer than standard matresses so if you tend to bake at night you should consider this.

No complaints from either of us though.

lister

we got one from Bensons in Jan, paid about £600 in the sale for it…it’s fantastic. It’s a 1400 pocket sprung one.
    I’ve gone from waking every morning in pain and needing a chiropractor session once a month to nowt,nothing,nada,absolutely no problems at all! It’s amazing and worth every penny.

We spent a good hour in the showroom trying them out, it’s hard to take the plunge on so little time but so far we appear to have got it right.
    It has taken a little time to adapt to but it’s not taken long.

MrNutt
    Free Member

this is one of those things that I have to also consider, I’m thinking of getting a non-turn from Hypnos Beds or perhaps one from the Bed Company Wales.

A client of ours just paid in excess of 30k for a Hastens mattress! 😯

I’d like to have done that, I can but dream! 😀

nickc

At first I thought it was like touching a dead animal

Nice…. 😯

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I’ve looked at these but been put off for a few reasons – the main one being I am a light sleeper, it takes me ages to get over and I spin constantly. In my head I’d imagine that memory foam would be annoying because I’d be continually turning into different shaped depressions. The other issue I imagined would be with regards to sexy time – surely it must be a bit more um….I dunno, less fun?

willyboy
    Free Member

if you want to try a memory foam topper (i think its 3inches thick) and are near/ in sheffield then i have a spare one available – they are very comfy. If you would like to try it (or buy it for not much) email me at willcarrjnr3 at hotmail dot com

villageidiot
    Free Member

Don’t get a Dorlux foam mattress, our first one lasted a year before it lost it’s memory, got a replacement under warranty but had to pay 20% because It was over one year into a five year warranty, the replacement has lasted six months and is as flat as a snakes 5hit! complete waste of time. Just went out and bought a quality pocket sprung one at the weekend.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

spent time on one on hols & hated it – how do you keep the damn sheets tucked in, every morning I woke up nearly being strangled by the bottom sheet – the foam giving pulled the sheet out every night – is there an answer or do you all sew your sheets together under the mattress?

McHamish
    Free Member

I hate spam…

z1ppy

Tempur Memory foam one here, well recommended.
    Ahhh I see the thread is two years old, resurrected by SPAM.

Gee-Jay, you ‘can’ get sheets with elasticated corners, they stay in place a lot better.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

not sure elasticated corners are up to the task – bungies maybe 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

bruneep, the key thing is not the memory foam itself, but the springs underneath. Pocket springs are best as they provide better support, but the memory foam on enhances the support and comfort.

I disagree, we tried all sorts of mattresses with all sorts of pocket springs and found the most comfy were the 100% mem foam options and those with normal foam under mem foam.

craigxxl
    Free Member

If you’re in the area of this guy I can’t recommend him enough. I had problems finding a good mattress to help with my back ache. I’d tried a top of the range Silentnight and it latest less than 2 years and the supplier (Courts) had gone out business so couldn’t get a replacement.
    I tried the guy above and the mattress is the best I’ve ever slept on, still as supportive as the day we got it and best of all it was less than half the price of the Silentnight. The one we have was a latex covered mattress with 1500 pockets. We replaced all the other mattresses in the house with the none latex versions and all our guests comment on how comfy the beds are.

gixer.john
    Free Member

Had to get a new mattress last year when the new missus started asking – “who slept in here before me, how many other women were in this bed” etc

After much deliberation and shop bouncing, we went for a Kaymed oppulence pillow top. 2000 pocket spring, 2 different foam types and a soft pillow topping.
    Thing is bloody mahoosive, but very comfy. Mattress is vented so should let air flow through – only problem is when we fitted a mattress protector, it was too hot for me.
    Heavy to turn round in a tight room.
    Not cheap.
    Overall much better than our previous Slumberland and a long garuntee.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

We run a 100% foam mattress – orthapaedic by Kubivent. Very good.

When we bought it – a good few years back – it was £450ish. Now they seem to be over a grand 😯

ericemel
    Free Member

Remember you can get your VAT off if you buy from the right place and sign to say it is for back issues. Such as http://www.backinaction.co.uk

I got a Mirrorform – which is truly amazing, al ot cooler than tempra’s too(which are also very nice – these converted me to foam)

stealfwayne

Good stuff on here, i’ll be getting one soon so thanks for all the tips… anyone heard of Mammouth foam mattresses?
    Apparently better for your posture and standard and cooler too?

anjs
    Free Member

So Tempur one for me. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it but now its great. Can be a bit on the hot side so I use Coolmax sheets which help loads.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Hypnia from Amazon are very good for the money.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

fencemaster above appears to be a spammer btw. Be aware!

GrahamS

**** SPAM ALERT ****

DO NOT RESPOND FURTHER TO THIS THREAD.

I suspect fencemaster might just be a corporate stooge. Just joined to add a comment to a two year old thread.
    Thanks, I’ll be making a note never to buy anything from

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Whoa! Stop the digger! I’m not the one – nor schrickvr6 – that resurrected this thread. Some dude called fencemaster with his memory foam mattress bullshit. Not me, no.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘memory foam mattresses help’ is closed to new replies.