Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Melanie Philips on Moral Maze – owned by bombers!
  • somafunk

Just been listening to Moral Maze on iPlayer, it’s about US Moral Authority t’night and as usual that rent a’ gobshite Melanie Philips is one of the debaters/questioners, at 14 mins in she just got owned big style by Mehdi Hussan of the Huffington post with a full face frontal knockdown with a set of Bombers – yee-ha….happy days, I’m now a very happy person 😀

Moral Maze : US Moral Authority here on BBC iPlayer

The USA has once again emerged from its presidential electoral bout of soul searching. Candidates for the White House don’t just have to have a plan for jobs and the economy, they have to have an inspiring vision and purpose for the nation. The grandiloquent rhetoric that candidates employ when they’re setting out this message my sound strange on this side of the Atlantic, but it’s no accident that presidents as poles apart as John F Kennedy and Ronald Reagan describe their country as a “shining city upon a hill”. It’s taken from Matthew’s Gospel and Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount where He tells His listeners that they are “the light to the world.” From the founding Pilgrim Fathers to presidents today there’s always been a strong sense in American politics that it is different from other countries; that its founding Enlightenment principles of liberty, equality and individual freedom not only make America exceptional, but also embody the nation with a duty of moral leadership to the rest of the world. The USA is still the richest and most powerful country in the world, but what about its moral capital? There are those who’d argue that America, especially in its foreign policy, has forfeited any claims to moral superiority. Or is this an example of a strong streak of anti-Americanism in the West that’s driven by jealousy, prejudice and moral relativism? Many countries around the world and throughout history, including Great Britain, have seen themselves as exceptional with a unique gift to give to the world. Are nations that believe they are “chosen” and their unique status is the moral justification of their actions always going to be a threat to others? Is America guilty of religious nationalism, or do we need the most powerful country in the world to stand up for Western values? Combative, provocative and engaging debate chaired by Michael Buerk with Melanie Phillips, Kenan Malik, Matthew Taylor and Claire Fox. Witnesses: Mehdi Hasan – political director Huffington Post and writer for New Statesman, Francis Beckett – Writer and historian, Charlie Wolf – Broadcaster, former Communications Director of Republicans Abroad UK, Daniel Hannon – Author “Anglosphere” and MEP for South East England.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I might have a listen later. It was on when I was doing the washing up, but I sort of zoned out when they said Melanie Phillips was on it. It’s a trigger phrase, like Anne Atkins.

somafunk

That’s the trouble – she’s on it every week but occasionally someone actually gets the better of her inane twittering and gives her a verbal bitch slap to the face, her voice must be one of the most irritating noises known to human ears.

Pook

yeah. yeah. mm. yeah. aha. yeah. um. ok. yeah. yeah.

Lifer
    Free Member

Start from 12 mins for context.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences.

somafunk

Whats I struggle with long sentences?

MrSmith
    Free Member

I photographed Mehdi Hussan a coupleb of weeks ago for a Huffington Ad campaign, seemed like a nice chap 🙂

somafunk

I struggle with long sentences : google is the fountain of all knowledge, i am now edukated as to what “I struggle with long sentences” means.

Yet you still felt the need to post? – you’re a strange one al, but quite amusing all the same with your petulant posts. Keep it up

somafunk

I’ve never really paid attention to the huffington post before although i’ve been aware of it, I’m reading it now and i’m impressed enough so far to bookmark it to my safari toolbar.

corroded
    Free Member

A friend of mine had to sit opposite Melanie Phillips at the Daily Mail. He said the money was good but it wasn’t that good. That said, if you’re a journalist/writer/content producer, HuffPo is one of the (very) bad guys. They rob content without paying at all.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Melanie Philips on Moral Maze – owned by bombers!’ is closed to new replies.