Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Al-megrahi dies
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18137896

I expect 7+ pages, and a number of bannings from you 😛

hilldodger
    Free Member

What dancing shoes for……

cynic-al
    Free Member

But he was innocent!

mrmo
    Free Member

doesn’t matter if he was guilty or not, he was the fall guy for those above him and what was in their interests. It might have been libya it might have been syria. Somehow i don’t think an answer will emerge anytime soon.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Should have died in prison!! Shame really!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Should never have been tried more like!

legend
    Free Member

People were never meant to fly 😯

leffeboy

If Scotland had been independent he would have been freed ages ago. That should be reason enough

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If Scotland had been independent …..

If it was up to the English we’d kick you out, don’t worry about that….! Bunch of workshy fried Mars bar eating skirt wearing alcoholics, weather that tries to wash you away and midges that eat you alive…!

We have no need of that.

😉

leffeboy

Bunch of workshy fried Mars bar eating skirt wearing alcoholics, weather that tries to wash you away and midges that eat you alive…!

there’s some bad bits as well though

rogerthecat
    Free Member

6 months to live in Scotland, lives 2 years in Libya – do we need to draw you Jocks a picture? 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

PP have a shandy and calm down dear 😉

leffeboy

do we need to draw you Jocks a picture?

If you haven’t coloured in all the pages yet then please go ahead

Northwind

rogerthecat – Member

6 months to live in Scotland, lives 2 years in Libya – do we need to draw you Jocks a picture?

Are english jails brilliant places to have cancer?

dogbert
    Free Member

You’ll forgive me if I don’t give a ****

edit: About Megrahi, not Lockerbie.

druidh
    Free Member

Interesting – the first BBC link today had the words Lockerbie Bomber in quotation marks. They now seem to have been removed.

However, they are still sticking to the line “the only person convicted over the 1988 Lockerbie bombing”.

I think they know the truth.

druidh
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    > rogerthecat – Member
    > 6 months to live in Scotland, lives 2 years in Libya –
    > do we need to draw you Jocks a picture?

Are english jails brilliant places to have cancer?

It was only this week that the NHS in England approved the drug that Megrahi was being given in Libya, so it would have made no difference if he was in a Scottish or English prison.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You’ll forgive me if I don’t give a ****

it is quite possible to care about him , the event, and justice.

Several legal experts as well as the UN observer at the Lockerbie trial have vehemently challenged the verdict that convicted Megrahi,[3] while Ulrich Lumpert, the Mebo AG engineer who testified to the validity of a key piece of evidence, admitted in an affidavit to lying in court and stealing the object from his employer after the attack whereupon it was planted.[4]

it is quite possible the guilty people have never been brought to justice. do you still not give a ****?

cynic-al
    Free Member

yep dogbert, that takes us really far 🙄

rogerthecat
    Free Member

it is quite possible the guilty people have never been brought to justice.

You mean our governments may have lied to us! 😮

epicsteve
    Free Member

From what I read of the court proceedings there is no reasonable doubt that Al-Megrahi was involved in the bombing. It’s also of course obvious that he didn’t work alone and it was state-sponsored by Libya.

Some people, perhaps with only a limited understanding of the case, seem to take the to mean that Megrahi was innocent but they are two very seperate things.

poly
    Free Member

epicsteve – the court proceedings aren’t really relevant though unless the argument was that the trial judges got it wrong based on the facts in front of them; the “question mark” arises when you consider the evidence that wasn’t presented at the trial and/or has emerged since then which leads to doubt over his conviction. When educated people who should have an axe to grind, and who have studied the details of the case in much more depth than I could, raise significant doubts then you have to consider the possibility that there has been a miscarriage of justice.

Even if he did plant the bomb, I actually have no malice against the man and would have had no wish to watch him suffer an unpleasant death in Greenock prison. Firstly, because whoever was responsible was acting on instructions from their country – one man’s terrorist in the next generations freedom fighter. Secondly because even if he was guilty, what makes us “better” is not revelling in the suffering of someone dying in prison but having enough compassion to allow someone who has no prospect of long term survival and a pretty terrible quality of life to die in relative comfort with their family around. It is surely that sort of compassion that separates the UK from some of the more barbaric states, including the US.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Some people, perhaps with only a limited understanding of the case, seem to take the to mean that Megrahi was innocent but they are two very seperate things.

you mean like the UN observer of the tria, some of the victims parents who dont think he was guilty. Perhaps you mean the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission (SCCRC) who found prima facie evidence in June 2007 of a misscarriage of justice and granted a re – trial
    Are these the people who have only “limited understanding” ?.
    FWIW I am not taking a view one way or another I am only taking the view that serious doubts can and have been raised about his guilt by very well informed individuals. To claim it is lack of understanding is arrogant and not supported by the evidence.

the scandal around Megrahi is not that a sick man was released, but that he was ever convicted in the first place. All I have ever wanted is to see the people who murdered my daughter are brought to justice.

Dr Jim Swire
    Professor Robert Black, an expert in Scots law who devised the non-jury trial that saw the Lockerbie case heard in 2000, has called Megrahi’s murder conviction “the most disgraceful miscarriage of justice in Scotland for 100 years”. Prof Black said he felt “a measure of personal responsibility” for persuading Libya to allow Megrahi and his co-accused, Al-Amin Khalifa Fhima, who was acquitted, to stand trial under Scots law.

“I have written about this and nobody is interested. Every lawyer who has … read the judgment says ‘this is nonsense’. It is nonsense. It really distresses me; I won’t let it go.”[106]

In 2007 Professor Black has written that he is “satisfied that not only was there a wrongful conviction [of Megrahi], but the victim of it was an innocent man. Lawyers, and I hope others, will appreciate this distinction.”

I suppose you want to criticise his limited understanding now?

GrahamS

Should have died in prison!! Shame really!!

Even if he was guilty, why would you wish that he spent his final months receiving expensive medical care at the taxpayers expense?

Our justice system allows compassion for terminally ill prisoners. Personally I think that is right and humane. Forcing someone to die in prison is purely about vengeance, not justice.

Besides, we really need the oil.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Indeed
    An innocent man was badly stitched up.

rkk01
    Free Member

It’s also of course obvious that he didn’t work alone and it was state-sponsored by Libya

Obvious? Really?

Given that “a number” of state intelligence / security agencys have undoubtedly been involved, I suggest that at best, this case could be described as “murky”

Interesting piece on R4 this am about Megrahi.

Informed analysis seems to point away from Libya – ie possibility of NO LIBYAN INVOLVEMENT

Suspician seems to fall on Iran, who are believed to have contracted the operation to a Palestian group based in Damascus. Iran were seeking revenge for the US shootdown of an Iranian airliner earlier the same year…

German police / security in Franfurt rolled up a cell from the Palestian group (the Pan Am flight started in Frankfurt) before the bombing. They captured a number of cell members (not all) and recovered a number of bombs (not all) destined for an airliner operation – bombs in a Toshiba cassette recorder, the same as the one that brought down Pan Am 103. The Germans, and others believe that the remaining Palestian cell members and unrecovered bomb brought down the aircraft….

Like I said – far from clear – MURKY at the very best…

GrahamS

It will be interesting to see if any more details emerge after his death.

“It’s a very sad event,” he told Sky News.

“I met him last time face-to-face in Tripoli in December last year, when he was very sick and in a lot of pain.

“But he still wanted to talk to me about how information which he and his defence team have accumulated could be passed to me after his death.”

Jim Swire

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

At least before he died we learned what he already knew: that the whole story that a Libyan bomb using a long running timer had started its journey from Malta was not a fable, but a myth*. The famed timer fragment ‘PT35b’ could never have been part of one of the Libyan timers allegedly used. There is now no valid evidence left from the court that either Malta, her flag carrier airline, or Baset’s own country were involved. Baset has a valid alibi: he was in Malta that day! He died knowing that in the end the truth will emerge.

http://www.lockerbietruth.com/

chugg08

stitched up.

There’s an interesting piece of information / theory about the transport of “needles” on the flight. It seems to get very murky very quickly.

chugg08

Sorry, meant to add this link

http://www.firmmagazine.com/features/324/Attack_or_a_trick%3F.html

From a couple of years back in The Firm law journal.

richmtb

I’m not personally convinced of Megrahi’s guilt (though that’s not the same as saying he is innocent). It’s at best an unsafe conviction at worst a cover up.

As for his release, it was the right thing to do and done for the right reasons, that he took longer to succumb to a terminal disease than was expected is not the fault of the people who took the decision to release him.

duckman

Poly sums it up very well.

If it had happened five years later, it would have been an Iraqi being convicted.
    Last year, an Iranian.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Al-megrahi dies’ is closed to new replies.