Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Megavalanche – A couple of questions
  • cultsdave
    Free Member

Tyres? Was thinking of 2 Super Gravity Trailstar Hans Dampfs, also got a Rock Razor.

Medical – It states that you should get a medical certificate or something similar, have folk bothered with this? Do you just go to your GP and they will write a letter saying that you probably won’t die?

Travel insurance? Do you have to get special race insurance? And do you get some that will cover your bike too?

Cheers

honourablegeorge

Dunno if you still can, but when I did it you could take out their insurance at registration, which covered the doctor and insurance aspects for you.

I’d have said dual ply for the tyres – but that depends how tough super gravity ones actually are, they might be fine.

Can’t imagine the rock razor would offer much grip onthe glacier – then again, not many tyres will.

rugbydick

Dave,
    The Hans Dampfs will be fine. I rode last year on dual ply Minion DHFs.
    There’s more chance of pinch flats, etc riding Bennachie than the Mega course (just to give you an idea of what the course is actually like after the glacier and before the flowy single track); so the Super Gravity carcass will be fine.

I’ve still got dual ply Minions and a High Roller 2 if you want them?

Doug Marshall tried a Larsen (a super tacky one…) on the back last year but binned it (the tyre) fairly quickly.

Medical – can’t remember who you work for, but I got the BP company doctor to write me a letter (can email you the format if you like); your GP may make a small charge for writting you one.

Insurance – compulsary. You need something that will cover extreme sports and racing (and the cost of a chopper to get you off the mountain). I used Dog Tag, which is cool as you actually get a dog tag to wear…
    Not sure on bike insurance. Take your new bike and it’ll be covered by warranty if you break it (as long as it’s not a crash…); I got a new front triangle for the Carbine after the front mech hanger snapped off.

Drop me a FB message if you want more info.

Rich B

jeff

Have done both – got Dr’s note (cost me £16) once and had BC membership / race licence thing the other times. Used dogtag for insurance. They have explicitly said they cover the mega in the past (on here IIRC)

caveat – this was all a few years back.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Cheers folks,

Rich, my bike is running the new/better 650b wheels 😉 size so your tyres won’t fit.
    Cheers though

rugbydick

Think they’re folding beads, so they’ll stretch a bit 😆

Is the new bike Enduro enough for the Mega?

cultsdave
    Free Member

It says it has an Enduro Tuned Shock, not going to get much more rad than that!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Its very common for French sporting events to require a doctors letter, this is to comply with the organizers liability insurance requirements. Just get one and avoid the stress of being refused entry.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

A British Cycling Race license is also acceptable in place of a doctor’s note.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

I got a doctor’s note for last years, cost me nowt. My mate copied the general wording and created his own then got our campsite owners in Allemont to print it out for him about 10mins before we went to register.

superfli
    Free Member

I didnt want to pay £15 or so for a doctors note, so bought a Bronze BC membership which includes provisional race license, money better spent.

I looked at DogTag and Snowcard plus some other insurances and have gone with snowcard. DogTag were 1/2 the price (£45), but the excess was £300 or something like that. Considering I have spoken to a fair few people who have been taken off the mountain, I thought I’d go with something lower excess. Snowcard is £50 excess. Policy was £83, but included £1500 for my bike (you can hike it up if you pay more – mine isnt worth that anyway :P).

That should cover me, I hope so anyway!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Megavalanche – A couple of questions’ is closed to new replies.