Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mega Avalanche – uplift logistics?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I'm out near Bourg D'Oisans the week before the race so was thinking about riding the course. I've been told you either need to ride a fair old climb (to Allemonde?) at the start or at the end if you want to ride 100% of the route (depending on where we drop off the car), on account of there not being any lifts from the valley floor. Is that correct? I'd also heard that there may be a bus uplift to the first lift station, which would be nice.

We're staying at Venosc if that makes any difference, so will also be riding Les Deuz Alpes straight from the campsite.

cheers

kimbers

we always camp in allemont and at least during the race week they run a coach up to oz en oisans

and from there you can ride lifts all the way to the top

it is an amazing descent all the way down

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Sounds good, is Allermont on the floor of the valley, guess Oz is 800m+ above?

dasnut
    Free Member

the bus between Allemont and Oz station (where the first lift is) goes all season, a few times a day, not just on mega week.

As you are staying in the campsite in Venosc, great ride home at the end of the day….

(cheeky edit)

dasnut
    Free Member

oz station 1350m
    allemont 720m

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

That's probably more climbing (and road work from Venosc) than I like to do before (or after) a 35k descent

Dasnut – any sarcasm there, or is it really a good ride back to Venosc?

cheers

If you wanted to ride the whole descent (from 3330m) you'd better check that they'll let you on the final cablecar with bikes. It looked like they normally restrict access to foot passengers only apart from during the actual Mega week.

Im not sure what the snow levels are like this year, but I wouldnt fancy your chances of being able to hike-a-bike up the steep section of the glacier, unless theres another more gradual climb?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

No plans to hike a bike, though we are going prepared to climb the Breithorn, Weismeiss etc so will have axes and crampons 😉

good tip though, I'll watch out for that.

ddmonkey

Ah the Mega, just reading this is bringing back memories of a great week. Gutted to be missing it this year but I'll be back in 2011 no doubt. It would be a long old rock road slog to the top if you can't go on the final lift up, don't fancy that!

dasnut
    Free Member

me sarcasm?
    no it really is a great descent

yes there is lots of snow here still….

pretty sure you can do the whole mega route all season as well. Access to the 2alpes glacier is limited, mainly due to the fact there are skiers and snowboarders you might hit 🙂 but not so Pic Blanc

the way people go on here its like France is shut for the summer apart from Passportes and Mega week…..

dasnut
    Free Member

oh and as for saying "hike a bike" and glacier in the same sentance, get a grip.
    This is a proper mountain you are talking about, not the local woods.
    Kendal Mint cake won't save you now

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mega Avalanche – uplift logistics?’ is closed to new replies.