Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • mega avalanche tyre choice
  • scuff321
    Free Member

I’ve gone for maxxis high roller 2 exo protection front and rear there newer and lighter than dual ply and will seat better on my arch rims, any thoughts

tomhoward

My first thought was ‘anything, as long as it’s dual ply’

It’s flat out and rocky up the top.

scuff321
    Free Member

Ye but been speaking to some pro riders and they say exo protection is more than enough, they’d have gone dual ply a couple of years ago, things are changing so quickly these days

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I was more impressed with the softer compound of the (WTB) tyres I used than the fact they were DH tyres.

Good on the loose clay like switchbacks.

Probably helped I was running them at 16psi tubeless also though 😉

scuff321
    Free Member

Plus more change losing dual ply of arch rim than puncture

honourablegeorge

Any standard snow/ice/loose/hardpack/mud/rock tyre will be fine

scuff321
    Free Member

I’m going to run 20_23 psi I know they will feel hard at 3300 meter but will soften lower down

kimbers

i ripped an exo high roller at the top of mega practice last year, dual ply all the way

tomhoward

Ye but been speaking to some pro riders and they say exo protection is more than enough, they’d have gone dual ply a couple of years ago, things are changing so quickly these days

Unless you are going for a win, go with reliability. I’d be putting big thick DH tubes in my dual ply tyres. Ymmv.

kimbers

how did it work out for Nico a few years ago?

tomhoward

OP has spoken to pro’s, even factored the elevation into his tire pressure settings. He knows what he’s doing.

Was it Nico you spoke to?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m going to run 20_23 psi I know they will feel hard at 3300 meter but will soften lower down

With an EXO on the back I’d probably want 40psi in it, to minimise the chance of puncturing.

Those numbers are too low. Unless you plan on mincing, rather than racing.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I raced it with EXO Hr2s tubeless both ends and had no problems with tyres at all . It’s really no different to any other rocky terrain. Providing you’re not one of those people that runs stupidly low pressures in exchange for no support. That was a 2.4 front with 25psi and 2.3 rear with 30psi; I’m 11 and a half stone stone, and it took me to 4th in my quali race, to put that into context. Race run mud was a bit different but tyres weren’t at fault.

scuff321
    Free Member

I weigh 67kg trained my ass off in gym and snowdon plus trail riding, ride light on bike no novice it’s my first time on mega that’s only reason I’m on here looking for advice

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Put some proper pressures in and you’ll be fine then. Your tyres and rims don’t stand a chance with those pressures.

scuff321
    Free Member

Nice on getonyourbike I’ll up pressures I’ll get better feel in practice days I’m get there on 4th to get more time on course

ahsf
    Free Member

I used single ply (non tubeless ) front and back the first time I raced there 2007 and the following 2 years after and had no problems, moved to the French Alps 2 year ago and ripped 2 exo minions ( tubless) in 2 weeks, one was only 2 days old ( both was on the rear)
    Put a 2ply Dh on the back and run it tubless for reassurance as I had the EWS race 10 days after wrecking the 2 exo, ran that tyre at 25psi most of the time with no flats/rim dents for 6 months, so I run a 2ply on the rear all the time and Exo up front.( tubeless)

You will be ok on EXO’s but sometimes you can be unlucky,if your there to practice have spare tyres because if you don’t you will proberly need them.

Good luck.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most people turn up the weekend before but it’s different to a riding holiday where you hit the first and last lift every day. Don’t over practice, make sure you save some gas for the quali and the race, have a day by the pool and take care.

I got the chance to line up behind Absalon in qualifying these guys might be running some lighter gear but watching how he took off he was as if he was riding way above the rocks we were all clattering through, think that helps.

Reliability is the key for a first go as it were, it’s a lot of effort to blow up with a puncture or worse in the first corner.

Steve77
    Free Member

Don’t do what I did last year and run a Nobby Nic on the back and rip a nob partly off 2 minutes into qualifying. The sealant won’t stand a chance and you’ll end up pushing back up to the get the lift down.

It’s worth noting the qualifying is more of a DH trail and the main race more of an enduro one, so you might want to choose tyres accordingly, I also think it’s more important to do well in the qualifying as if you miss out on a mass start race you’ve missed out on the whole point of the Mega, so I’d practice the qualifier the most, particularly the top half picking out all the overtaking spots. If I was doing it again this year and picking one tyre I’d go with tubeless Magic Marys.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘mega avalanche tyre choice’ is closed to new replies.