Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mega Avalanche 2014
  • kamcaylean
    Free Member

Hi there I am looking for some advise on where to stay at the mega avalanche. This is my first trip out there and I cant find any solid information on this online. It seems the options are Allemend, Oz or Alpe d’huez. Which town is best located for accessing the mega. I have seen (on some forums)that Alpe d’huez is quite high up the mountain and if I want to ride the mega avalanche track I have to do it by a certain time in the day or there are no buses back up. All information would be much appreciated.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You can stay in any. Having done it quite a few times, the easiest place to stay is ADH.

The busses from the bottom of the mega track take you back to the lift station in Oz. It’s a bit of a pain, but the main track goes past the lift station anyway, so I can’t imagine you will ride the very bottom section (and thus need to get a bus) more than once anyway, as it’s always smashed to pieces.

You can ride the main track down and just peel off at Oz to get the lift back up.

tomhoward

have to do it by a certain time in the day

iirc (went 2 years ago) you have to be done by 6, which is plenty of time. (the route runs through a couple of lift access villages, inc ADH, so if you are pressed for time just stop at one of those.

WEstayed in villard reculas, meant driving to ADH each day but its a nice drive and only 15/20 mins. night life is limited if thats a concern.

oldschool

ADH is where I’m staying again this year. Oz is a bit in the middle of nowhere from what I saw, but I wait to be corrected. You’ll end up practising the quali mainly I reckon down to ADH, the main race route is good to do once (maybe twice if you really want) however is that long you can’t really practise and learn lines like you can on the quali. The bottom half of the quali is relatively easy switch backs so again doesn’t need to be run dozens of times either.

kamcaylean
    Free Member

Thanks very much guys thats just what I wanted hear. There are apartments available in ADH pierre et vaciance. Do you know of it? I have sent an e-mail regarding storage of bikes but I have not heard anything back. Anyone got any advise on accommodation in Alpe d’huez? Its for 4 people.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yep, it’s the big place in the centre of town, just down from the pool.

It’s ideal, central enough for the shops, bars & food, and only a 10 minute or so bimble up the hill to the lift station.

Lots of people stay there, they are bike friendly too.

kamcaylean
    Free Member

Thank you Hob Nob I will get booked in there. Also another question to anyone who may know, I have been told if have some previous mountain biking race results I can perhaps be moved forward in the Qualifying group giving me a slighty clearer run 😕 Is this true and if i have already entered can I still apply my race results? I have tried to investigate this on the mega website but I am struggling with all the translation.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’m going. I will be staying in my van so I’m not tied to any particular place. I’ve not been before so I can pick a suitable spot when I’ve seen it rather than book something in advance and commit to staying there.

plumber
    Free Member

Also another question to anyone who may know, I have been told if have some previous mountain biking race results I can perhaps be moved forward in the Qualifying group giving me a slighty clearer run

its such a complete lottery, no matter how good you think you are you will no doubt come a cropper and that’s your race over.

Feel free to fantasize about being in the top 2 hundred but realistically it just wont happen – good luck, enjoy your riding, don’t die

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

ADH pierre et vacance

I’m booked in there too.
    Dropped them an email about bike storage and they said there was not any secure storage BUT they allowed you to take bikes up to your room and store them on the balcony (which I took to be code for “lock it in your room, we don’t mind”)

Plum, are you “in”? Travelling with JC?

plumber
    Free Member

Plum, are you “in”? Travelling with JC?

not in this year, interesting experience but I’m just not happy to trash another bike doing it

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have been told if have some previous mountain biking race results I can perhaps be moved forward in the Qualifying group giving me a slighty clearer run Is this true and if i have already entered can I still apply my race results? I have tried to investigate this on the mega website but I am struggling with all the translation.

I’m not convinced there is anything behind this or not. I’ve done it a few times, raced DH for years, nationals, had a few podiums, won a few races etc, yet the first year I was on the 4th row on my qualifier I just snuck into the top 20 overall so qualified for the main race.

Next year, similar results, early entry again, but was on the 5th row! Qualfied just outside the top 10, and actually finished the main race that year.

Last year, virtually no races at all, apart from a few enduro’s – front row for my qualifier, lucky number 13! Qualified 11th from memory after some chopper managed to put his foot in my rear wheel on the start line.

Its always rows of 25, and i’d always read the top 5 numbers for each heat were properly seeded, the next 15 were ‘sort of’ seeded, and then it was just a free for all.

If you can ride and you’re fit, you should qualify for the main race anyway – one of my riding mates was last row in his heat & he still broke into the top 30. You just have to go a bit mental for the 20-25 minutes 🙂

kamcaylean
    Free Member

Perfect. Thanks very much folks think I now have all the information I was looking for. 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mega Avalanche 2014’ is closed to new replies.