Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • mega 290 or smuggler?
  • sefton
    Free Member

looking for a FS bike for big days in the Lakes and trail centres.

coming from xc hardtails. Never been on anything less than 70degree HA or more than 120mm of travel.

current mtb Caad f29

the smuggler sounds perfect but the Nukeproof are great value at the mo. but worried about 160mm…just sounds too much?

thoughts?

transition1
    Free Member

I have just built up an XL Smuggler. Have only had 1 ride on it but loved it. My other bike is 160mm travel enduro bike so didn’t want too much of an overlap. The frame replaced a Big Wig & all parts onto the Smuggler. It is a bling build.
    I think it will be my main go to bike most of the time.

Northwind

ChrisL of this parish made exactly that decision and got the Mega, maybe he’ll see this.

It’s a big ol bike (he’s on the XL which is a big big ol bike, I testrode the medium which IIRC is still bigger than my large Remedy) but it’s not one of those big bikes that feels rubbish on easy stuff. I never rode the Smuggler myself. Some of the service parts were very shortlived, it needed some frame bearigns after no time at all- cheap parts, which is a shame. But I’d happily have one for trailcentring and #enduroing and even for a bit of xcing.

dday

I love my smuggler, and have not ridden the Mega. I will say that you need to fettle the suspension to get the best out of it – and its not a ‘beginner’ bike – it likes to be thrashed! Fwiw- This is my second Transition – never had an issue with frames or bearings.

bungalistic
    Free Member

I’ve ridden both, I used to own a Smuggler and regret selling it. It’s a very capable bike, sometimes in the big stuff you can feel the limit of the 115mm out back but that’s not too often. It was really quite playful too, a fun bike to make the most of small trail features. At 5’8″ I owned a medium but would have liked to try a large out as I prefer a longer reach, if a large frame came up 2nd hand i’d buy it.

The mega is a much bigger bike it needs a bit more muscle to get it moving around but it is quick and felt very smooth, possibly too much for some riding but I admit I liked it. Similar to smuggler you can size up if needed.

ehrob

I’ve ridden neither, but I have recently been through the shorter vs longer travel bike decision.

The Smuggler has a great reputation. The Mega 290 is also highly regarded. It is a lot of bike. It might be ok riding tamer stuff, but you’ll be needing to ride it very quickly down some serious terrain to get the most out of it.

The best way to look at this is do you want the best bike for 90% of your riding, or for the other 10% where you might want a bit more travel? For Lakes and trail centres I’d say Smuggler every time.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

A 160mm 29″ is a massive bike – considering your use requirements, it’s somewhat overkill by the sounds of things.

Something shorter travel with an emphasis on fun is probably the ideal – the Smuggler was right up on my list of bikes to buy, the only niggle I had really was the weight of the thing.

I ended up with something similar, but a lot lighter.

I plan to use it for general riding, DH racing, enduro racing, long trip to Whistler & the Alps etc. So far, so good. It’s a big improvement over my Patrol for general riding in the south of England 🙂

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I have a 120mm 29er and a 160mm 650b.

I find the 29er faster and more fun on the majority of trails, including technical/ steep trails. If I had to lose one it would be the bigger bike.

Hob nob, what did you get? I’m looking at 29er frames at the moment.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

New Trek Fuel EX.

The numbers on the Trek site are a bit conservative IMO, with a 140mm fork, in the low setting it’s considerably slacker than they claim. In fact, in the high setting it’s slacker than they claim it should be in the low.

Northwind

What makes it kind of tricky is that even if you build a 120mm travel hard use 29er, most likely you end up with the same or similiar components on it- you can’t really save weight on wheels or tyres and you’ll probably end up with something like a Pike on it. So there’s not really much weight saving in most cases (I reckon the mega frame may well be lighter), the only things you’re really gaining is (sometimes) pedalling manners, and the rest is about what you’re choosing to lose. It’s pretty interesting. And if you get it wrong, you get something like my ****ing awful Camber.

Probably if you’re not sure what’s right between a Smuggler and a Mega the answer is something else entirely, a stumpy or maybe the new fuel ex or something like that? Or the old Remedy for that matter, I’m biased but it kicks ass.

Lester
    Free Member

or a codeine 29er, great value, and underestimated imho

sefton
    Free Member

cheers guys – yep 160 is too much for a lycra clad xc mincer. I’ll rule that out

I think the smuggler would be great

also the yt jeffsy sounds good.

do like the specilized epic fs – but this looks like a xc fs bike and I wanted something a little more playful than the caad f29

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

What makes it kind of tricky is that even if you build a 120mm travel hard use 29er, most likely you end up with the same or similiar components on it- you can’t really save weight on wheels or tyres and you’ll probably end up with something like a Pike on it. So there’s not really much weight saving in most cases (I reckon the mega frame may well be lighter), the only things you’re really gaining is (sometimes) pedalling manners, and the rest is about what you’re choosing to lose

To a degree, that was my issue with the Smuggler, in the bigger sizes it’s a massive lump of a frame. I know weight is only part of the picture, but still.

The Fuel in a spec I would have no issue in racing DH or enduro with (and plan to) is well under 26lbs. If I put some skinny XC tyres on it, it would be close to being sub 25lbs.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

The fuel is what I’ve been looking at. I have a 2014 whyte t129 at the moment, but I’d like something g longer and lighter, but with more modern geometry. The new t129 looks great geome try wise, but it’s a heavy bike according to their website.

bigjim

I have a smuggler and really rate it, if I was buying now I’d want a test ride on the Orbea carbon equivalent which may or may not be the Occam TR

SirHC

New Trek Fuel EX.

The numbers on the Trek site are a bit conservative IMO, with a 140mm fork, in the low setting it’s considerably slacker than they claim. In fact, in the high setting it’s slacker than they claim it should be in the low.

How do you find the seat position for climbing compared to the Reign/Patrol? Actual vs Effective seat tube angles can end up sticking the saddle over the back axle for taller riders (unless Trek are moving the seat tube forward on larger frames)

bungalistic
    Free Member

My old medium smuggler weighed in at 30lbs so not something i’d class at heavy, in fact it’s lighter than the bike I currently own. The only time i’d wish it had been lighter was the hike a bike days.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

How do you find the seat position for climbing compared to the Reign/Patrol? Actual vs Effective seat tube angles can end up sticking the saddle over the back axle for taller riders (unless Trek are moving the seat tube forward on larger frames)

The seat angle was probably my biggest issue with the Reign.

The Fuel & Patrol feel pretty much the same in that respect.

SirHC

The seat angle was probably my biggest issue with the Reign.

The Fuel & Patrol feel pretty much the same in that respect.

The actual number is 69degrees, giant quoting 73 (which I guess is effective), I find it is ok on a fireroad, but anything steep you are too far back (I have the seat pushed as far forward as possible).

Working out whether its possible to condense the Reign and Trance into one bike (would be nice). Waiting for a few shops to get back to me on a demo, as currently its proving to be impossible to get one!

roverpig

My old medium smuggler weighed in at 30lbs so not something i’d class at heavy, in fact it’s lighter than the bike I currently own. The only time i’d wish it had been lighter was the hike a bike days.

Yes, it’s a little unfair to imply that the Smuggler is a tank. When I built mine up I’m pretty sure it weighed a little less than the 26″ Five it was supposed to replace. Mind you, both of those have spent most of the summer hanging in the shed while I choose to ride a 35 lb steel fatbike around, which shows how little I care about weight I guess!

The Smuggler is an awesome trail bike, which just loves to bomb down open rocky routes at warp speed. Stiff, precise, stable but still fun to play around on. I’ve not ridden the Mega though.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The shop I ride for has a 9.8 demo which I was borrowing until mine showed up, but unless you are on the south coast it might not be much use.

I’m going to give it a go as my one bike this year, will see if it’s still in one piece after a seasons racing & a month in Whistler 🙂

SirHC

The shop I ride for has a 9.8 demo which I was borrowing until mine showed up, but unless you are on the south coast it might not be much use.

If a shop can get me a demo and I like the bike, then I’ll buy the frame from them!

I’m going to give it a go as my one bike this year, will see if it’s still in one piece after a seasons racing & a month in Whistler

For my local riding spots, the fuel would be perfect for (FOD, Bucknell, Bringewood, Eastridge, Wrekin). But for Mega/Italy(Molini), I’d want some downtube armour!

davosaurusrex

Hob Nob – what size is it and whereabouts on the south coast? I fancy a go on one of them, could be my next bike

Hicksy
    Free Member

I know that Head for the Hills in Dorking have a Fuel Ex 29er demo bike, as a mate tried it – he really liked it too. Looks like the ideal trail bike to me. I’m not sure what size it was, but would of been either a M or L I’d have thought.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Hob Nob any pics of yours?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘mega 290 or smuggler?’ is closed to new replies.