Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Medium or Long cage Mech for Oneup 42T?
  • MrNero50
    Free Member

So I’m thinking of going with one of these, as I cannot justify the expense of a 11 speed set up and cannot get on with Sram shifters.

What mechs are people running and does it make a differenc, for example a medium or long cage XT?

Would a medium cage be able to cope on a full sus frame with a 32T chainring and possibly a MRP G3 chainguide?

Thanks
    Dave

tmb467
    Free Member

from what I’ve read on here, a short cage will be sufficient and in fact someone was running a Zee FR with no issues (other than needing a longer b-screw – or inserting it from the other side)

Mister-P
    Free Member

The difference on an 11-42 cassette is 31T. The capacity on a Zee is only 25T where as a medium cage SLX or XT has a capacity of 35T. For peace of mind I would go for the medium cage.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I’ve just converted to 34t front and one up 40t plus 16t rear on a medium xt clutch mech, really think I would struggle to get 42t to work, my b tentioner is fully in already, very impressed so far.

blairc70
    Free Member

Shimano XT shadow plus medium cage works fine with 32 up front 42 rear.

tmb467
    Free Member

Zee FR has a bigger capacity than 25T – just not advertised as such

real world experience

tmb467
    Free Member

chrisdiesel – if it doesnt work, try screwing the B-tension screw in from the other side to get the length right

Northwind

Short cage is marginal (it’s too short to work reliably on all bikes even without the OneUp- I have to run an 11-28 on my Orange as the chaingrowth means a Shimano short cage won’t work with 11-32T, it can’t take up the chain slack. nothing to do with the range adjuster before anyone says it!) OneUp don’t recommend any short cage mechs for the 42T.

Medium should be alright on most bikes, worked fine on my hardtail though tbh I do wonder if the longer arm of a long cage might take up the chain better. Would like to try it but don’t have any long clutchy mechs.

Chaingrowth is basically the random factor, some bikes are extremely “stretchy” and if the mech’s already using up all its margin on taking up the extra chain from the 42T, it can’t deal with the chainlength change.

Nonsense
    Free Member

I’m using a medium with the b screw on the other side. Works brilliantly.

tmb467
    Free Member

northwind – all good points, so it depends on your bike, and on whether you’re using all your travel in the lowest ring?

I’ll report back on my own experiences once I’ve fitted my 40T

Northwind

Yeah, good point, should have added that- the other solution to a too-short cage is just to run a tight chain and make sure you don’t hit the longest point of chaingrowth in teh bigger rings (not always at the end of teh travel, I reckon, though wouldn’t want to swear by that)

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Thanks for the idea!!! B screw from the other side!!!

MrNero50
    Free Member

So medium should be ok, but long maybe better.

Thanks guys.

maxtorque

32/42 and medium shadow XTR mech = perfect shifting!

choppersquad
    Free Member

Showing my ignorance, can you use the 42t cog with a 2×10 setup?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Medium or Long cage Mech for Oneup 42T?’ is closed to new replies.