Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Medical types – tingly feeling down one side of face for the last 12 hours-ish
  • IHN

Starting last night, and continuing today, I have a tingly feeling down the right hand side of my face, starting at the corner of my eye and down my cheek to my jaw.

Google’s no help (in that I could have anything from eye-strain to a brain haemorrhage), and apparently NHS Direct is no more. So, is this a ‘see how you are tomorrow’ thing or a ‘call the cat-AIDS hotline asap’ thing?

allfankledup

I’d go with the hotline approach myself…

Drac

NHS Direct is 111

Sounds like Bell’s Palsy needs checked out though but given you’ve missed the last window for anything more serious look for your nearest Walk in Centre.

tjagain

GP – urgent appt IMO

could be any one of a number of things. Bells palsy / trigeminal neuralgia come to mind but I am very far from sure

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/Pages/NHS-111.aspx

thegreatape
    Free Member

I got that sort of symptom when I had shingles. Which was grim. But I’m not a medical person and they ^ are.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Sounds like Bell’s Palsy

Damn my poor reading skills….

IHN

given you’ve missed the last window for anything more serious

How do you mean?

Anyhoo, guess I better ring the GPs

vickypea
    Free Member

It could be a migraine but see what the DT says

Drac

How do you mean?

Cat Aids.

IHN

Sorted, GPs at 8:45 in the morning

I was feeling a bit run down last week, pleeeeease don’t be shingles 🙁

IHN

Cat Aids.

And 12 hours was the treatment window? Darn.

Well, it’s been a pleasure folks, you can fight over my bike. People will still fight over a 3*9, 26″ hardtail, right?

Drac

Shingles is a good call maybe not for you though

kcal

yup, Bell’s Palsy would be my non medical instinctive reaction, Anne-Marie had this around time of one of pregnancies — you’re not pregnant are you ? 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

After they bury you it will come back into fashion as the next new standard 🙂

IHN

you’re not pregnant are you ?

Belly would suggest yes, penis would suggest no

franksinatra

I always think the Cat Aids reply on threads like this is really insensitive and unhelpful. To suggest cat aids is just flippant when you don’t know what it could be. They poor guy could have any number of serious conditions including monkey aids, badger aids or baby robin aids.

IHN

Badger AIDs! No said anything about Badger AIDs! Now I’m really worried.

Cheers for twisting the knife, franksinatra, kick a man while he’s down, eh?

franksinatra

You don’t want to know about badger aids. Besides, these things are rarely black and white.

argoose
    Free Member

Get a second opinion if they say Bell’s Palsy, they misdiagnosed Mum for six months, it was a lot lot worse.

Northwind

<checks that there’s been enough helpful answers>

I checked in with the definitive expert on not being able to feel your face and she told me don’t worry about it, she told me don’t worry no more

Drac

They diagnosed my mother in law with Bell’s Palsy they were right.

martinhutch

Got any strains or tight muscles in your neck or shoulder? Could be impinging a nerve there.

Worth getting it checked out if it persists, obviously.

footflaps

Cat Aids.

And 12 hours was the treatment window? Darn.[/quote]

There is no treatment window, Cat Aids is terminal. Death occurs within 24 hours of being diagnosed on an internet forum.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Bells palsy can cause this – but is usually more motor than sensory.

There are so many causes that this is the wrong forum, but as a GP I’d want someone to see this today if you mean you have anything more than a slight tingly feeling. A small stroke or a TIA are the top things I’d want to be ruling out. Or at least ring 111.

I try not to post medical advice here any more – it is a medicolegal minefield and usually someone pops up and says it is Lyme disease or something and don’t trust Drs… but in this case I’d make an exception. if it is still there and is more that just a tiny tingle, see someone today.

wwaswas

It’s Lyme disease, don’t trust what the Dr tells you.

IHN

Thanks Stoatsbrother. It is ‘only’ a slight tingle, no numbness or anything, no blurred vision. I have a GP’s appointment at 8:45 in the morning but the surgery is pretty much on my way home, so I will pop in and see if I can see someone today.

IHN

Saw the doc. Tested nerves and stuff, can’t find anything, I’m to go back if it’s not better in a few days.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Could be sinus blockage or ear infection, but keep an eye on it, not the blinky half closed one, but it might just be something trivial

tjagain

Stoatsbrother

I think most of us can distinguish good advice from bad and who to trust and if you word your advice carefully its no issue IMO of course.

Personally I welcome your thoughts on medical stuff but allways remember the maxim – medical advice on the internet is worth what you pay for it.

Drac

Saw the doc. Tested nerves and stuff, can’t find anything, I’m to go back if it’s not better in a few days.

Definitely Lyme’s disease.

Stoner
    Free Member

Medical advice on the NHS is worth what you paid for it.

No… Wait… That doesn’t work.

Let’s try again: “Pithy aphorisms are worth what you paid for them”

Yep, that works better.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator 
    NHS Direct is 111

Different things. 111 is an incompetent service of untrained monkeys reading from scripts. NHS Direct was staffed by trained nurses and doctors.

The latter I found very useful when I had to use it and went out of their way to sort out an out of hours appointment with a local late night service that I didn’t know even existed (probably doesn’t any more).

thejesmonddingo

I didn’t know you had a lisp Stoner !

Stoner
    Free Member

pith oth

thejesmonddingo

Yeth,thertainly.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ooh, hark at Toner the tough guy 🙂

mattsccm
    Free Member

I get this regularly, Well maybe a few times a year and have for decades. Doc never finds anything . I do notice it comes on when I am tired though.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

😀

Cheers for the laugh stoner.

You disgusting ableist. 😈 😛

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Medical types – tingly feeling down one side of face for the last 12 hours-ish’ is closed to new replies.