Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Medic!
  • headfirst
    Free Member

Broke my wrist on Sat afternoon, have got a temporary pot on, which is pot along the top and then wrapped in gauze type material. I went to work today and my fingers seemed to have swollen up somewhat. Noone took or told me to take my ring off at the hospital and I can’t get it off now, even though its not really restrictive at the moment. I’m more concerned about my middle finger which seems a little pale and has a definite blue tinge over the middle knuckle, could be bruising? I’m also getting some tingling in my fingers. Need I be worried? What can I do to reduce swelling on top of elevation and carrying on with ibuprofen amd para’s at 4 hr intervals.

headfirst
    Free Member

Ps. I’m texting this with my good hand before you tell me off

Moonhead
    Free Member

Pop to your GP in the AM if you are worried!

northshoreniall

Go back to A&E – did they give you advice sheet what to look out for? Altered sensation and change of colour would suggest something is too tight. Elevation in the interim will help with swelling.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Don’t go to A&E ring fracture clinic, or better still the plaster room, they should have given you the numbers. Elevate it as much as possible.

northshoreniall

Fracture clinic open at 18:50? hence my A&E advice, or perhaps as after thought minor injuries unit?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The reason you have a backslab not a complete plaster is to allow room for the swelling. Can you move the ring OK even if not get it off? is the ring finger still nice and pink? The other finger could well be bruising.

Get real advice tho if worried – NHS 24 phone line thingy perhaps

headfirst
    Free Member

Now back in a+e, as plaster room was closed. As per advice sheet

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What can I do to reduce swelling on top of elevation and carrying on with ibuprofen amd para’s at 4 hr intervals

R
    Ice
    Compression
    E

Strap it tight as possible and then ice. After 20 mins undo the strapping then do it up tighter 🙂

northshoreniall

Strapping wouldn’t be much use over a back slab unfortunately – and probably sore on a fracture, also makes iceing difficult hence elevation as advice on top of brufen

headfirst
    Free Member

Update: just had my ring cut off. General bemusement as to why it was not taken off on Saturday. Apparently its a nasty break so nurse practicioner has gone to get consultant’s opinion

northshoreniall

Bummer, fingers looking better? Hope all settles down for you.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

TSY – NO, NO, NO, NO and erm NO. That’d be a good way to get Headfirst to lose his arm.

And it’s not RICE any more it’s PRICE – Protect – that’s the job of the backslab.

northshoreniall

Dont be silly it’s firmly attached by plaster now, hows he going to lose it? if hes that careless maybe he doesn’t deserve it 😀
    – and awfully nice way to let somebody know why they are using wrong guidance instead of SHOUTING at them.

headfirst
    Free Member

Back home now, thanks for posts. Day off to fully rest and elevate arm. Cheers.

northshoreniall

Good work

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Medic!’ is closed to new replies.