Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Meddings Pillar Drill – What's It Worth?
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

An old Meddings LF1 Pillar drill has become available near me. I’m thinking of making an offer but I’m not sure what its worth.

I’m not sure how old it is, but I’d guess pretty old. It’s got the cast iron casing and no sign of a drill guard ever being fitted. It’s 240 volt and in good working order.

Any idea what a sensible offer would be?

porter_jamie

50 quid? Got any pics?

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Looks similar to this one: Meddings drill

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Anyone else?

JohnB
    Free Member

They go for about £200 on EBay. Meddings have a rep for being solid and worth having.

j40aja
    Free Member

Solid old drills, I service the latest models in the Edinburgh Secondary schools.
    You should be alright if it doesn’t have a high low range gearbox in the head.
    The fact it doesn’t comply with current H/S will keep it’s value down with no emergency stop or guard interlock microswitches.
    I’d be offering about £150 but would depend if they’ll deliver or not.
    The drive belts should last donkeys years if the machine hasn’t been abused and the correct belt tension is used.

fasthaggis

OP

I just got this one for free (very heavy) and a wee vice.
    It was getting chucked out. 😯
    Small chuck ,but the high speeds may be good for a bit wood stuff if I can bodge up a cutter.No idea what it’s worth ,but being 240V may push the price up.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Paid 200 iirc for mines from mcmoonter who had a spare

To get anything close on todays market in a shop was in the region of 8-1200

So heavy though i have to use engine hoist to move it

Be an incredibly useful bit of kit in the time ive ha it. Would only think about changin it for a mill- but even used there in region of about 800 quid for something useful.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Meddings Pillar Drill – What's It Worth?’ is closed to new replies.