Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Medal Revealed
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just remember the rest of the UK is paying for it and getting no benefit. Don’t expect us to be happy

You never are.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m renting out my Appt in Canary Wharf for 6 weeks over that period the Oly’s are on..

I’m happy thank you, very happy.

Kerrrching..

mcboo
    Free Member

TJ were you a massive sour-puss when you lived in England or did you just pick up the defining characteristic of my homeland since you moved there? How exactly is SCOTLAND OF ALL PLACES funding the London Olympics. Lord give me strength.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Interesting thread drift. No surprise really.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion
    But seriously – all this negativity is shite – we are hosting THE OLYMPICS for Jeebus’s sake!

Why should we be proud of hosting this overblown vanity project?

Damaging grassroots sport nationwide.
    Huge costs to the country for little benefit.

If we had taken the opportunity to halt the grave train and take the olympics back to its root then maybe – but we didn’t.

As a result we are spending money we don’t have on an elitist junket that is doing significant damage.

I’d rather the money was spent on hospitals and schools than you very much.

thomthumb
    Free Member

How would you know? You don’t understand the code.

LOL

is it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mcboo – Member

How exactly is SCOTLAND OF ALL PLACES funding the London Olympics. Lord give me strength.

25% cut in Scotlands lottery grant for grassroots sports. thats causing damage.
    Plus other effects

edit

massive cuts in funding to grassroots sports and the loss of some grassroots sports venues.

Kunstler

There’s an incongruity between the designs on the two sides.

Google just told me:

‘The front … always depicts the same imagery – the Greek goddess of sport, Nike, stepping out of the Parthenon.’

The figure, that seems as if it was intended to be in a dynamic movement actually looks flat – the foreshortening and the robe makes it look a bit under-developed. There’s also something not right with the space in the design. Maybe it doesn’t help seeing the two sides next to each other.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Why should we be proud of hosting this overblown vanity project?

Because (as I have already said) it is probably the biggest sporting event in the world and we are hosting it. To me it is as simple as that.

Let’s hope we get the Football World Cup eventually too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Gotta agree with Kunstler on the design though – the face does look a bit static and at odds with the reverse doesn’t it? But I doubt that a single competitor will complain as they receive one in an awards ceremony though…

Lifer
    Free Member

We complain how the UK is second rate and we should do more stuff.

Do we?

Junkyard
    Free Member

we are hosting THE OLYMPICS for Jeebus’s sake! It is something the nation should be proud of yet all we get is nit-picking about detail. So what if some elements don’t meet with individual approval, it is arguably the biggest sporting event in the world and we are hosting it FFS. Let’s be proud of what we are doing.

yes lets be proud when what we are we are doing is something that is shite- not the whole games just the medals

hp_source

what ever happened to those mascots ? didn’t see them knocking around at the 1 year to go celebration

They’ve been turned into Sweets! I guess in an attempt to get kids to like them through the power of sugar and marketing!

sharki
    Free Member

How lovely.

An image of a US marine with moobs, wearing a blanket fleeing from a giant bird, whilst holding a quiver.

Someones taking the pee big time..

Humour alive and well in the UK

tyredbiker
    Free Member

WTF is this?!

£19million…

mcboo
    Free Member

£19million…

£3.1mm

But never mind, what would you say it is?

Dont tell me “Rubbish” right?

moan

moan

moan

<repeat>

Coyote
    Free Member

We are hosting one of the biggest sporting events in the world, true enough. Hopefully it will be a success and we will win lots of medals and everybody will be happy.

However, at a time of austerity should we be spunking so much cash down the drain. I stand to be corrected, but has a games ever made a profit or will be be left with a lot of impressive facilities that we can’t afford to run? I see that the Olympic stadium will go to a football club. Let’s hope that the BOC cover their costs on it, although I doubt they will.

The main beneficiaries will obviously be the south-eastern corner of the country yet we are all paying towards it. What benefits will be felt north of Watford? Very few I’ll wager. Some people will be asking “What’s in it for us?”, it’s only natural.

Oh and don’t get me started on that ridiculous design for the Olympic symbol. 100’s of years of rich cultural heritage and the best we can do is a bad copy of a cartoon character performing oral sex? Purleeze!

Coyote
    Free Member

£3.1mm

Oh, that’s OK then. A mere bagatelle.

molgrips
    Free Member

However, at a time of austerity should we be spunking so much cash down the drain

When all this was planned and even started it wasn’t a time of austerity, was it? And is it not all just Keynsian stimulus? (correct me if I am wrong here)

GlitterGary
    Free Member

‘Man Devil’ the mascot looks nice.

Lifer
    Free Member

My understanding of Keynes is that a stimulus is used to encourage people to spend and businesses to invest. Don’t see how the Olympics does that – except for a few companies involved – but as above ready to be corrected.

EDIT – not even that, actually.

When all this was planned and even started it wasn’t a time of austerity, was it?

Keynesian economics is based on saving during the good times and spending during the bad, so if your quote is true then it’s not Keynesian…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    However, at a time of austerity should we be spunking so much cash down the drain
    When all this was planned and even started it wasn’t a time of austerity, was it?

Agrees with this – what were we to do? Say ‘tell you what, let’s not bother’. Anyway, from the outset the committee said the cost of it was going to be nowhere near the Chinese spend and that we would be providing more of a legacy.

Is it costing a shed-load of dosh? Well yes it is. Of course.

Will it provide value for money? At the moment it is hard to say, but from what I have read on the subject, they have tried to create spaces that will have future viability.

Am I proud and excited to think this is happening in my country in my lifetime? Yep.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Medal Revealed’ is closed to new replies.