Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Mechanics – a clutch pedal problem.
  • Chase
    Free Member

The spring that assists the return of the clutch pedal (on the upper end of the pedal arm) on our 5 year old C-Max has snapped. The clutch pedal still returns due to the springs in the clutch itself but the pedal now rests on the plunger rather than been totally off it. Is it likely to cause any long term damage by not replacing the spring? I managed to get a replacement spring from Ford but access is nigh on impossible without removing the whole pedal which still isn't easy.

Any advice appreciated.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It means you'll have some level of pre-load on the release bearing at all times, which isn't ideal and will shorten it's life. But a lot of people rest their foot on the pedal anyway. The free play held by the spring is only really there to ensure the bearing isn't under any load during cruise etc. Not ideal, but your call on how much you care. What made you notice it?

Chase
    Free Member

What made you notice it?

A noise as the pedal was pressed and the appearance of the remaining part of the spring in the footwell.

sundaywobbler

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but would have thought that the C-max will have an hydraulicly actuated clutch? How much free play/travel in the clutch pedal have you lost? I very much doubt that the weight of the pedal will actuate the clutch master cylinder and if you pull the pedal away from the master cylinder plunger does it extend out any further? If not then the release bearing will not come back any further and you will do no long term damage.

If it was me it would depend on how much it pi$$ed me off. A lot would mean I'd change the spring, if not I'd leave it alone. I strongly doubt that Ford would rely on a pedal spring to ensure the clutch is fully released. you may find the spring is fitted to give the clutch pedal more 'feel' but that is pure speculation.

mickasaki
    Free Member

Which spring broke? the return spring or the assist spring?

Chase
    Free Member

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but would have thought that the C-max will have an hydraulicly actuated clutch? How much free play/travel in the clutch pedal have you lost? I very much doubt that the weight of the pedal will actuate the clutch master cylinder and if you pull the pedal away from the master cylinder plunger does it extend out any further? If not then the release bearing will not come back any further and you will do no long term damage.

I'm thinking you are right. The remaining free play taken up by the spring takes it less than half an inch off the plunger. It just sits happily on it and as it is a plastic pedal arm there is very little weight. I think coffeking is right that it would maybe only become an issue if you rest your foot on the pedal a lot as it now rests on the plunger rather the force provided by the spring.

Which spring broke? the return spring or the assist spring?

To be honest I don't know. It didn't have a name, just a code. It's very similar to these….

One end sits in a recess on the upper end of the pedal. The other end of the spring attaches to the pedal backplate somewhere.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mechanics – a clutch pedal problem.’ is closed to new replies.