Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mechanical advice please.
  • jbig
    Free Member

Got the bike out yesterday and encountered problems.
    When I wheeled it out of the shed the cassette and cranks were turning as a fixie would and when I turned the cranks bacwards the cassette didn't move and the chain snarled up around the chainrings.
    From my limited knowledge, I'm assuming this is a problem with the freehub body.
    Am I right? And if so, does it sound like something that can be fixed or replaced, bearing in mind that the hub hasn't been touched in about 10 years (not the most diligent when it comes to servicing!)

Any slightly more educated views gratefully recieved.

Onzadog
    Free Member

sounds like a dead freehub. What hub is it? It should be replaceable/repairable but that really depends on the kit.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Possibly the cassette lockring has come loose.

jbig
    Free Member

Its a 1998 LX hub. Its not a great suprise that its starting to give up the ghost really.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I wouldn't hold out too much hope of getting a spare for that but you might be able to strip the hub down, remove the freehub and flush it would with WD40 and relube it with a heavy chain oil. Might get a little more life out of it. Failing that, a new wheel might be cheaper than getting a new hub built into your exisitng rim

jbig
    Free Member

I think it may well be time for a new wheel. Just wish I could afford the drivetrain, disc braze-ons and brakes to go with it. Maybe some bars too!
    Anyone fancy telling my other half that these things are essential!

lookmanohands
    Free Member

you should be able to get a new freehub body (try chainreaction) for about £10-£15 and thatll keep you going for a while. (if your anywhere near the cotswolds i could fit it for you!)

jbig
    Free Member

Chainreaction looks like a good bet for a freehub.
    Would all of the shimano 8spd models be compatible?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1161

(Thanks for the offer of fitting it LMNH, but I regret to say it would be a bit too far.)

turboferret

Has it been sat around unused for a while?

I had a spare set of cheap wheels for my Patriot for when I occasionally embarrassed myself at DHing. The back would pretend it was a fixie pretty much every outing for a minute or so, couple of bashes with something and it got going again – was probably poorly sealed and the internals were a bit stuck.

Might not be the absolute end of your hub, but would suggests it's getting that way. Might have a few rides left in it though.

Cheers, Rich

Sam

A new freehub body and it should be as good as new. Look for the actual model number of the hub – should be FH-M550 or something. Then you need that freehub body. There is some intercompatibility – this is where your LBS comes in handy.

jbig
    Free Member

Its not used weekly these days, but I would say it comes out at least once a month. I can get it to freewhheel for some of the time, but I don't really want to risk being stuck out in the woods with a mullered drivetrain.
    Some money is clearly going to have to be spent somewhere, just debating how much I can justify.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mechanical advice please.’ is closed to new replies.