Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Measure twice cut once…………………………………GRAAAARRRRRRR FFS!
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wheelbuilding

The internet couldn’t agree on the EDR for Stans Alphas, was is 591mm or 593mm?

So I went out and bought a pair of 250mm spokes, wired them together accross the rim and measured the gap between them and added 500mm. The ERD is 591mm.

Order some spokes (by now the faffing has taken almost a month)

Order some spoke nipple washers, wait a month……

Follow up on the order “ohh sory, they’re not actualy in stock, we’ll order some in”

Wait a few weeks,

And a few weeks,

Cancel order and re-order through LBS.

Wait a few weeks, ohh, the distributor got their stock wrong, they’ll be a couple of weeks.

Wait,

Wait,

Cancel order.

Order online from the states.

Washers arrive (its been at least 4 months now)

Sit down on sofa, pour a beer, something cathartic on the stereo, thead spokes through hub flange, hmmm they look a bit short…………..

Go to DT calculator, hmm they should be 5mm longer, ohhh FFS after all this I’ve typod 581 rather than 591 and have enough spokes to build front and rear wheels at that!

AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGgggg

Karma doesn’t want me to build some nice light wheels 🙁

andyl
    Free Member

Look on the bright side. It could be worse and be a steerer cut wrong!

nicko74

erm… it would appear the ERD is 592…

I feel your pain though. Any chance you could take/ send the spokes back (distance selling?)? Or sell them on the classifieds?

boxfish
    Free Member

How frustrating!

You could make up your own super-niche wheel size and get rims to fit…it’ll be all the rage in 2014

robsoctane
    Free Member

I feel for you mate 😯

emanuel
    Free Member

there’s a shop here you’d like.They had me wait 10 months!
    I was told it would take a while,about 3 wks.I got them to give me one of theirs,even though I paid new for SH and they didn’t even give me a discount.bastards.it was a bicycle saddle stool thing.

you going to use rim washers as well?just got some for my alpha build.
    The rear hub was ordered &paid for 3months ago and it still hasn’t arrived.

one cross less?though it always seems there’s a 11mm diff between crossings.on 700c.
    weird crossing pattern?

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Snowflake spoke pattern?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was already planning on going radial, so can’t go for any other pattern 🙁

Probably not worth sending back, there are a couple of rim options at around 581 mm (velocity deem V’s and DT RR 585, neither’s exactly light though!) so it’s tempting to keep them and buy a second set of hubs and rims, although rationally spending another £70 on hubs and £100+ on rims seems really pointless to use up £20 of spokes!

ianpinder
    Free Member

It karma for boasting in the carbon wheel thread.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

GARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR FFS

After re-ordering spokes for the road wheels and spokes for the hardtails new wheels I was feeling all productive.

It didn’t twigg untill I started building that the the measurement on the internet labled ERG wasn’t the ERD, someone had just copied the bead diameter. so I’ve got another 80 spokes the wrong size!

On the plus side, I’ve now got enough unwanted spokes to make them worthwhile returning.

bedmaker

😆
    Hope hoops??

cynic-al
    Free Member

TINAS’ spoke warehouse emporium?

bencooper
    Free Member

How on earth does it take 4 months to get some spokes? Even things like Revolutions are available in a few days.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hope hoops??

I actually quite enjoy wheel building when it’s going well

How on earth does it take 4 months to get some spokes? Even things like Revolutions are available in a few days.

Yep, I was waiting on nipple washers, which no one seems to import into the UK, ended up ordering off ebay-usa

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The offending review with inaccurate ERD

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Reviews.aspx?ModelID=16494

bencooper
    Free Member

Ah – I thought the Sapim ones were brought in?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ah – I thought the Sapim ones were brought in?

By Chicken

The expression pissup in a brewery springs to mind

bencooper
    Free Member

Ah, fair enough 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

thepurist

Did I miss the bit where you did the cutting?

<complains to mods about inaccurate thread titles… surely it should be “measure once buy twicethrice”. Harrumph>

turboferret

TINAS,

Sorry to laugh at your misfortune but this is hilarious 😆

If I makes you feel any better, I made a stupid mistake and ordered a complete set of incorrect spokes for my first Stans Alpha build. In the box which was asking for hub spoke hole diameter I put in the number of spokes instead. Unsurprisingly this gave me rather short spokes 😳

I now have a bunch of DT Competitions which are of no use, but fortunately they were quite cheap from Rose bikes.

The LBS who stocked Sapim were amused and stocked the right length replacements 🙂

Cheers, Rich

Muke
    Free Member

All is not lost….Spoke Bracelets 😀

Dibbs
    Free Member

£12.50 for a spoke!!!!!

Stoner
    Free Member

I’m after 64x 295mm spokes if they’re going for a song 🙂

turboferret
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dtswiss-vs-wheelpro-spoke-calcs-big-diffs

😳

turboferret

Stoner,

Glad I’m not the first person to make that mistake 😆

Cheers, Rich

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Measure twice cut once…………………………………GRAAAARRRRRRR FFS!’ is closed to new replies.