Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • MC's Friday night – Help Find a Car Challenge.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m looking for a car for my folks. It needs to be a diesel estate, hopefully in 1.9tdi VAG flavour and between £1500 – £2500. I’ve bought very reliable cars from folks here in the past that have been very good for a lot less. Outright performance isn’t important, durability and reliability are. It’s something for going to garden centres and loading up with plants.

I’m not spooked by high mileages. I have been bidding on this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291065528177?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649 but don’t want to get sucked into a crazy bidding frenzy when its in Exeter and I’m in Scotland.

They’ve had a Passat in the past and liked it, I’ve been able to service it for them too which is a bonus.

A6 estates look better value for money, but I’m not sure why. I’ve not looked at Skodas yet.

I need something in a hurry and don’t know where to look , but Im prepared to travel to find the right car.

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

I’m in Exeter tomorrow if you want me to go have a look at it for you?

matt_outandabout

We had an 00 Passat tdi 120 Sport and that engine was a peach – I just rolled on a wave of torque….

leffeboy

Somehow I imagine you in one of these, don’t know why… 🙂

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2001 Alhambra 1.9 tdi that I’m looking to shift soon. I’m in Aberdeen. Give me an email if you’re interested.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips so far folks. I think the Alhambra might be a bit big for their needs.

I’m in Exeter tomorrow if you want me to go have a look at it for you?

That would be great. I’ll email you the owners number.

Oops, no sign of your email in your profile.

zokes
    Free Member

Don’t you have a Rolls knocking about on site?

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

I’ve sent you an email

Wharfedale
    Free Member

If you can compromise on the estate bit this is very good value. I had one back in 04 built like a tank and very comfortable.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201402011464136/sort/pricedesc/postcode/bd236re/radius/1500/make/SKODA/model/superb/price-to/2500/page/1/usedcars

mcmoonter
    Free Member

If you can compromise on the estate bit this is very good value. I had one back in 04 built like a tank and very comfortable.

That’s a lot of car for the money. Sadly it really has to be an estate. My folks are like Victorian plant collectors.

This is how they use it

giant_scum
    Free Member

Genuine offer you can have my 55 plate Hyundai Santa Fe for £1000!
    The bad bits 180.000 miles on the clock.
    MOT due in 12 days and it has a power steering fluid leak.
    We are trading it in next week and £1000 is what the garage has offered us for it.
    We live in Bathgate BTW.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Genuine offer you can have my 55 plate Hyundai Santa Fe for £1000!

Im keener to go with something from VAG

This looks like a contender.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Passat-1-9TDI-PD-130-bhp-2002MY-SE-/261387497602?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cdbe8b082

giant_scum
    Free Member

No bother Mcm will be getting traded in next week if you change your mind mail me on hossak061070atgmail.com

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

Sent you an email

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sent you an email

Thanks for that Ian. STW reaches the parts you’d never guess.

castanea
    Free Member

I bought one of those Passat, 130ps sport model, 54plate. 85k for 2900 and that was after a month of looking. So probably you will be looking at ones with over 100k on the clock.

That said mine runs a treat, real nice place to be. Changed the filters, oil and timing belt when I got it and it is around 45mpg average on winter tyres. Sits around 2k revs at 70mph and between 2500 and 3k revs pulls very nicely. Fits a cube of logs in the boot too.

-Bad points, quite low to get in and out of if they’re older. Not great ground clearance either for rougher track. I just had to put the alloys in to get sandblasted as the paint has gone and tyres were slowly losing pressure. Also had to strip the drivers door to replace the window regulator as they are prone to rusting on the bottom corner, cheap but time consuming repair.

I’d buy it again, it does what it does well.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘MC's Friday night – Help Find a Car Challenge.’ is closed to new replies.