Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • MCL Damage
  • edward2000
    Free Member

So the doctor says my MCL is damaged and has referred me to a physio for a proper assessment and maybe an MRI scan.

Anyone else damaged their MCL and what was the recovery like?

I was due to go to Whistler in a month. A bit of me has just died inside.

edward2000
    Free Member

anyone?

fadda

Interested as I think I have the same – I need to find a physio.

Must be worth just finding a physio yourself,rather than wait for the NHS, if you possibly can. I’d want to do everything I can to protect that Whistler trip…

edward2000
    Free Member

Funny you say that fadda, as soon as i came out the doctors this morning i was on the phine to a private physio asking for the next available appointment.

fadda

Having been to Whistler last year, I’d certainly recommend doing everything you can!

jamiep
    Free Member

Torn it last year, although not all the way through. Still had a strand hanging on. It just took time to heal, about 6 months.

Physiotherapy involved the Physio isolating it and doing this press/rub thingy with a firm finger – that had the sweat p1ssing off me for some reason. And suggesting strengthening exercises for home – balancing on one leg, controlled lunges

edward2000
    Free Member

fadda – i also went last year, so i know what im missing :'(

jd77
    Free Member

Did mine about 11 years ago playing ice hockey, and it caused me to miss about 10 weeks of the cricket season. Having said that, it was only lateral movement stuff (fielding, running between the wickets etc) that was a problem. I’d look into getting a proper knee brace to help support the knee against lateral forces which should lat you ride

BearBack
    Free Member

If you’re already booked and paid up.. Come anyway. Excellent physios are very accessible here 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

Recovery time is dependent on how serious the sprain is. Do you know when your physio appointment is yet? If it’s ages away then, yes, going private may help you get an answer sooner.

carlosg
    Free Member

Stretched MCL here (but not enough to need surgery) was diagnosed April this year and now have to wear an excellent össur sti knee brace for work as a postie. Before getting the brace I was popping at least 10 ibuprofen and the same paracetamol a day and was well on the way to a painkiller addiction. Was glad for the NHS as the brace retails at £489 rrp . It’s possible to cycle in it and they also produce an mx kit for it that turns it into a knee pad too.

mildred

Did mine in March this year (and ACL & Quadriceps tendon). Had to wait 6 weeks for the MRI scans to come back before even the (private) physio would touch it. During that time he recommended gentle cycling without too much stood up riding. This helps the joint stay mobile, working it in its natural range of motion without too much impact or pressure going through it. It also helps maintain the muscle tone/offsets atrophy pre-operation if the MRI scan suggests this is needed.

Luckily for me the damage wasn’t too bad so surgery wasn’t needed; then the physio set to work… Beeeejeezuussss…!!!!

It actually started feeling better straight away. After about 6 weeks I managed a week in morzine, and although the hard & fast stuff was difficult (painful) – the stuff where you’re stood with knees bent taking your weight through your quads in the typical “attack position”; it was all doable with plenty of mid & post ride stretching.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘MCL Damage’ is closed to new replies.