Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Mayhem Solo 24hr tips?
  • Chainline
    Free Member

Doing my first 24 in but 10 days time.

Any key tips you’d like to share would be welcome.

I’ve been training, though not sure how well it will pay off, we will have to see, I’m certainly way fitter than I was, but due to time constraints I’ve been following a threshold schedule rather than a ride for hours and hours schedule.

I’ll be breaking one rule as it will be a new bike due to delivery delays, but the saddle will be a known quantity.

And I stuffed it at Bikefest, (the 90deg corner by the archway alongside the entrance road, front washed out) so a minor dislocation of my AC joint, but were hoping it will all be good 😕

Nutrition is sorted, but any tips on ‘keeping you sane’ food welcome. A Bikefest soloist did mention jam doughnuts to me at the weekend, that sounds nice 🙂

what do you carry and where is a question I’m asking my self, I usually carry lots to fix everything but I’m thinking, puncture repair, co2, (I’ll be tubeless) multiple tool, quick link, zip tie or two and probably in a shirt pocket rather than a backpack.

Also bottle or camelback? I’m thinking 800ml bottle, grab a new one each lap from the pit bitches 😉

How often do you get off the bike?

Chamois cream?? 😐

I there a covered solo area at Mayhem or set up a shelter next to the camper in the solo camping area, can you get to that when needed, space for the pit crew to sort out bikes if is disgustingly wet?

I’m not looking to win anything, no hope of that, but I want to do more than survive and certainly do the whole thing without going to bed or taking a couple of hours off, mechanicals, major cramps, illness etc permitting!

Cheers guys and if you see a Titus x-carbon (assuming it turns up this week, otherwise its the wifes Soda with pink bits again) and a bloke with a ride journal jersey and lime green shades on looking like he wants to quit, fire some encouragement my way 🙂

What about spares? mud tyres, cables& outers, brake pads, chain? Derailleur? Spare bike I will take…

5thElefant
    Free Member

mud tyres

For sure 🙂

wbss
    Free Member

I’m planning on a midnight curry. Not stopping, and pedaling harder.

hth.

Chainline
    Free Member

Pedal harder, I’ll keep that one in mind.

Militant_biker

Find a rhythm and keep plugging away. It sounds silly, but don’t spend too long in the pits. Once stopped it’s hard to keep going. I struggled when I did one fully solo, no support team. When I’ve had the wife in the pits to sort me out, feed me and send me out, I’ve done a lot better.

Don’t try to hang with the faster riders who are in teams.

Eat regularly and frequently, with a mix of food. I used to take cake, chocolate, dried fruit and nuts, filled rolls and hard boiled eggs. Drink enough.

Don’t drink so much energy drink that your stomach can’t handle food… 🙄

Take good, tested and reliable lights. And good, tested, reliable backup lights. If you can afford them, take spare charged batteries to cover all your night laps, relying on the charging stations can be fraught with disappointment.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Mayhem Solo 24hr tips?’ is closed to new replies.