Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Maybe they should turn the speed cameras back on!
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member
    SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Maybe they shouldn't.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Why do you speed when driving?

psychle
    Free Member

maybe the more important question/statistic is whether accidents have gone up or not??

kimbers

ill stop running red lights on my bike when car drivers obey the speed limit

uplink
    Free Member

Maybe they're waiting for you to stop running red lights?

Adders69
    Free Member

Regardless of the fact that the news item says 'council' isn't this story best described as …

"… the private company responsible for operating speed camera's, who've recently had their contract terminated by Oxfordshire council, believe that car drivers are now more likely to speed – so please re-employ us!"

… although I am guessing at the contractual arrangement in place 😀

dmiller
    Free Member

Indeed – thats a superb line to start a pub fight… also:
    – When taxi drivers stop hitting me and driving off.
    – When people check thier wing mirrors.
    – When people stop using thier phone when driving.
    – When cars stop going through red lights.
    – When people follow the damn speed limit. I dont really care about people doing 70 in a 50 if its a dual carrigeway etc but ffs in a housing estate just do 30 or less ok? Tossers.
    – When BMW drivers are made to wear t-shirts saying: "I have a small penis and thats why I act like a ****". Even the girls.
    – When people stop buying cars the colour of bad diarrhea! Is "curry shits yellow" a special ford colour?

🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The Oxfordshire village of Curbridge, concerned with people speeding, put up its very own replica speed camera as a deterrant…. on near enough the same day the County Council announced it was scrapping them… brilliant!

RealMan
    Free Member

When people stop buying cars the colour of bad diarrhea! Is "curry shits yellow" a special ford colour?

You mean like this?

Or this?

anagallis_arvensis

what I fail to understand is why oxford council told everyone they were turning them off

uplink
    Free Member

what I fail to understand is why oxford council told everyone they were turning them off

because they're safety cameras not speed cameras so they need to tell everyone it's not safe any more? 🙂

dmiller
    Free Member

Real man – kinda like the first one but more wet and brownish. Sorry!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

They kept it on as an experiment to see if people would speed and they did but they didn't issue tickets.

Even though hundreds did speed you could argue statistically that it had no bearing compared to the majority. Depending what test you use.

The thing is people speed for no matter what selfish reason and put others at risk.

Should we just raise speed limits and say **** it?

Cycling on normal roads and if a car hits you at 40 is going to do more damage at 30mph which might kill you anyway.

I won't speed on normal roads and have trickled into 80mph on the motorway but I'm still overtaken and probably the slowest driver on the motorway even if I could floor it to 138mph no probs.

andytherocketeer

Secretly leaving 2 cameras on to monitor only tells you that people aren't slowing down just to pass them and speed up again 100 meters down the road.
    If they'd covertly frigged the cameras to be monitoring speeds along the entire section of road, both before and after the announcement, then the story and statistics might actually have some significance.

r6ymy
    Free Member

Curbridge is about 2 miles from where I'm sitting.
    It would be good if they put big notices up saying the speed cameras are not in use, maybe that would stop the d!ckheads who stand on the brakes in terror when they notice one (usually about level with the camera), irrespective of what speed they are doing. It's amazing how many people (a) don't know the speed limit of the road they're on, (b) Have no idea of their current speed in relation to the speed limit, (c) can't see a fluorescent yellow box on a pole until they are a few feet from it.

andytherocketeer

Even worse are those that do an emergency brake before a speedlimit sign, when they were already below that speed limit. Followed one person over pass in Austria the other day, who insisted on going 1 speedlimit speed lower than the signs. 50 in an 80kph zone, 80 in a 100kph zone, and brake testing the queue of traffic behind at every sign.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Curbridge is about 2 miles from where I'm sitting.

Well then you have the honour of sitting no further than 4 miles from my front door.

molgrips
    Free Member

(a) don't know the speed limit of the road they're on, (b) Have no idea of their current speed in relation to the speed limit, (c) can't see a fluorescent yellow box on a pole until they are a few feet from it.

Think about it. Most people are driving along in la la land, not paying attention to or thinking about what they or their car is doing. So not really surprising at all that people miss signs and don't know how fast they are going.

You over-estimate people.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So people no longer slow down when approaching speed cameras in Oxford because they have been switched off?

Well I'm glad that made the news.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Why do you speed when driving?

you've clearly never been driven by spokescycles… 😉

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I'm not that bad, but i'll happily cruise up the a9 at 80. I'd call myself a casual speeder and i'm fine with that. I have my own judgement.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Spokes – beware the single carrigway bits of the A9 – get caught at 80 on them and it won't be a fixed penalty ticket. Cops are very tough on speeding on the A9

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Maybe they should turn the speed cameras back on!’ is closed to new replies.