• This topic has 13 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • *maybe OT* Orthotics advice/podiatrists in Bristol
  • MrKmkII
    Free Member

Hello great hive mind!

Can anyone recommend a Bristolian podiatrist?

Bit of context: 4 odd years ago saw a physio in Edinburgh at the uni for IT band strain/pain, who also saw my super flat feet, and so I also ended up seeing a podiatrist who got me some prescription orthotics from Everflex. The foam top layer desperately needs replaced now, so being as I now live in Bristol, saw someone close by. He seemed to think I needed a lift on my right foot due to a slightly short leg (never before picked up on), so stuck a 4mm riser on the custom orthotic. So I still have the old orthotics with tatty foam layer, but with a riser on one heel. Wasn’t convinced by his diagnosis (looking at this part of you, you need a riser; but looking here, you definitely don’t need one). Also, I have been getting sore knees since, and tonight I’ve pulled my lower back! Saw the podiatrist 11 days ago.

So should I just struggle a bit longer? Who’s good in Bristol for this? Anyone got any other advice? At very least I will need to send these orthotics to Everflex for a refurb…

Cheers, as always.

steezysix
    Free Member

Not a podiatrist but do work with orthotics as part of my job – I would say that as you’ve lived X number of years without noticing your leg length difference (most people have one of vary degrees) that suddenly putting a lift in will feel weird. You can either persist and get used to it, or I would be tempted to get rid, as it wasn’t an issue for you before…

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Thanks, suspect you’re right. Should have mentioned (and this could be significant), I bought some new trainers about a month ago, which are very ill-fitting – still getting heel and toe blisters. I was also getting cramp every morning in my calf muscles, more so in my left leg, and this is why I decided to go see a podiatrist. Apparently cramp in my left leg could be a sign of a short right leg?? Tried to get footwear advice but he didn’t say much…

steezysix
    Free Member

Could also depend on the type of shoe you got – if you’re using orthotics, ideally you should be in a neutral shoe – a support or motion control shoe will give too much correction. If it’s only since you got those shoes that you’re having problems, I would start there. Sounds like they’re too big if you’re getting blisters – try going somewhere like Easy Runner off St. Michaels hill, and make sure you take your orthotics if trying on new shoes!

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Good words there – thanks. I do always take my orthotics when I buy new shoes, but also go for the highly supportive shoes, and sounds like I’m probably over-correcting as you say. Can I get a pair of shoes for £50 odd at Easy Runner? I don’t run or do the gym, just walk lots both in the city and through the country.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Anyone else got owt to say? 🙂

dpfr

I have had orthotics for over 15 years to correct a leg legth deficit which was causing a series of injuries (keen if useless fell runner back then). They caused considerable knee and hip pain for a couple of weeks after I got them but I stuck with it and they have completely changed the way I walk and help a lot with my lower back. I swear by them. When I first ran with them in I got spectacular blisters too. They are great but I think you have to have confidence in the podiatrist, which it sounds like you don’t have. Second opinion? Personal recommendation is the way to go if there’s anyone you can ask

rocco

I’m a pod but in South Wales. Try taking the heel lift off and see if the pain disappears. If you can then add it back on after a couple of days once the pain has gone and see if they are any better. If the pain returns then take the lift off for good. If you have had no problems over the past ?? Years then it may have been too much adding the heel raise.

With regards to another pair of orthotics I’d say the easiest way would be to make a self referral to the Bristol Podiatry team, I think they have forms on the Bristol community health website for this. Do you know what the original prescription was?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Thanks, all. I think I need to get some proper-fitting trainers first, as the ones I have been struggling with now are just so uncomfortable, and I’ll take it from there.

Really keen to see someone different though, so any Bristol podiatrist recommendations would still be welcomed!!

DanW
    Free Member

There are a few that usually get highly recommended in Cardiff (and their work includes sorting the rugby players/ making custom rugby boots/ etc) which isn’t too much of a trip for you.

I went down the pod route for knee pain (originally ITB area) and found some small gains but had much more success with pursuing the physio route (which it sounds like you have already started). Finally getting to the bottom of how my body works (or doesn’t!) from a more holistic point of view now means I am not sensitive to different insoles.

I realise we are all different and you may get some relief from orthotics but I would be tempted to get to the root of the problems which may or may not involve the feet…

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Thanks DanW. Interestingly, I saw a physio for my IT band who realised there were other issues, so in a sense, perhaps not holistic, but broader-looking (not had ITB issues for a few years, unless I run my seat too high).

Went to the running shop today who very kindly gave me a free gait analysis, and they can see that my right (possibly shorter) leg is not looking too sharp – toes pointing outwards, and my ankle/hamstring/calf is at a funny angle, which suggests a short leg. Got some new shoes which are a huge step in the right direction, and also got a card for a local sports pod they recommend..

DanW
    Free Member

I don’t know what the pod’s point of view might be but I would be very wary of being told you have a “leg length discrepancy”. Even if you had a full leg x-ray it would be hard to accurately measure a few mm length difference. Most of the time there is a functional length difference which can be corrected by the holistic/ physio approach.

It can be nice to see how you run on video with these free gait analysis type things in running shops but it is pretty hard to say why you run like you run. To say it is all down to a single thing, be it a functional leg length discrepancy or anything else for that matter, is most likely just not correct. I know on myself for example that a lot of work on stuff around the hip (lots of muscles, movements and stretching I hadn’t previously considered) worked wonders but we are all different!

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Hi DanW, thanks for that. They didn’t say it was definitely the case, more that certain things suggest it might be an issue. If they were to do a more thorough gait analysis they might have said more, but they would have had to charge me for it.

Appreciate what you’re saying about physios though (especially as my lower back has been really bad since I started this thread). My concern is that I have seen 3 different physios in the past 5 years. The first one noticed foot issues, but since then they just seem to focus on the point of pain. I always point out that I have prescription orthotics, have suffered from ITB strain, and have had other back issues, but they never seem to consider these things much. I have asked folk on here for recommendations, and the last one I saw in Edinburgh was atrocious – she was unable to answer simple questions like “why does it hurt” or “how are these stretches going to help”. Not exactly confidence inspiring!

I work in Bath so thinking perhaps a recommendation for there might be better. Be it a physio or podiatrist. Anyone?

DanW
    Free Member

I know you are relating this to walking but maybe the guys in BikeScience Bristol may be able to help? Do you still ride a bit too? I think they do physio appointments through the shop/ bike fitters and although I haven’t had one myself the fit I had with Scott Cornish (physio) made a lot of sense to me as a cynical biomechanist 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘*maybe OT* Orthotics advice/podiatrists in Bristol’ is closed to new replies.