Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • maxxraxx Discovery Bike Rack
  • geoffj
    paul4stones

I’m using a 4 bike one on a Passat estate. Seems to work very well and took our bikes to France and back in the summer. It’s a bit more fiddly than having them on the roof but better mpg. Access to the boot does work but requires some strength to lift the bikes back up when you’ve tilted them down. Careful loading with bits of padding between bikes was fine. Bikes are protected from the weather but get covered in diesel gunge. The bolt that stops it tilting is showing some wear already and must be under some force when fully loaded so I’ll be keeping an eye on that. Probably not as stable as a rack which supports the wheels but a fraction of the price.

Marko

I have one.
    It’s OK, but heavy. If you have 4 full suspension bikes on with sloping tubes and the odd bottle cage it can be an elaborate song and dance just to load it. You will need a mile or so of pipe lagging and expect to have to turn all the bars round.
    I only use it for long trips abroad, if I needed it all the time I would have spent the money on a wheel support Thule one (not a Pendle one though).
    Hth
    Marko

geoffj

Mmmm – another option is the Tradekar Saffier, which is a wheel support model.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4.php?20726

At £175, its less than a 1/3 more than the MaxxRaxx. It just takes up more room to store.

Clink

Got one for sale if you’re interested – minus the foot part which bolts to the car (sold car with still bolted on! 😳 )

Very sturdy and would stil be using but have van now.

geoffj

Clink, I’m interested, can you mail price and any more relevant details?
    stw.geoffj@mac.com

ta

Clink

will do tonight – but just noticed you’re in Scotland? I’m Somerset 😯

geoffj

will do tonight – but just noticed you’re in Scotland? I’m Somerset

I know a very good courier company though 😉

Clink

mailed you but it bounced back? my mails in profile.

geoffj

Mailed you – sorry, wrong email addy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘maxxraxx Discovery Bike Rack’ is closed to new replies.