Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Maxxis WT tyres and thinner rims
  • Scamper
    Free Member

Another standard I knew nothing about. I’m sweating just building my first 27.5 frame andmoving up to 10 speed 😀

Anyhow, I ordered a 2.5 Minion but in WT spec by mistake. Can these be used on thinner rims without any problems, specifically the Hope Tech Enduro’s with a 23mm inner width? All I’ve found so far is they are optimised for 35mm but can be used on other rims.

poah
    Free Member

Got one on my 24.5 mm id rims and I have no issues with it (DhrII). From the interweb people that have tried both prefer the WT version.

Speeder

Not that it helps you but I’m using one on a 30mm inner Flow 3 and it seems fine – 1 ride in 🙂

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Theory would suggest you get a more rounded than intended profile (more lean before the side knobs engage) and possibly more casing roll/fold as less support from the rims than they were designed to get. Would it make any real life difference is another question!

chiefgrooveguru

Shorty 2.5 WT works great on a Flow EX (25.5mm). I now have a DHF 2.5 WT awaiting testing on the same rim.

Northwind

Mine are on what I think are 24mm internal width rims, work a charm. I have some 2.5 non-WT minion DHFs, a 2.4 WT DHR2 and a 2.5 WT shorty, honestly if I didn’t know I wouldn’t know there was any special juju involved.I mean, nobody ever worried about putting a 2.5 on a 721.

It does make a real difference if a tyre’s pinched up but I feel like once you get past a certain point it’s not that important. The difference from narrow to wide is way more than wide to wider. (as long as it’s a decent shaped tyre, anyway- some like hans dampfs really benefit from a wide rim to give them a more suitable shape)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis WT tyres and thinner rims’ is closed to new replies.