Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Maxxis tyres, Exo vs Double Down
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Most of my riding is in the Peak where I’ve split/cut a lot of apex protect conti trail kings.

Currently running the e13 tyres which are great. Reinforced but only 900 ish grams. I’ve holded one of those but it’s pretty much end of life for it anyway due to the soft compound. (hence why I’m looking at different tyres).

Currently looking at Maxxis but struggling to choose between double down and exo.

Anyone able to offer useful feedback on either?

honourablegeorge

Double Down will take you to the same weight ballpark as e13… 1kg or so. I used them in Finale a while back and they were rock solid, really good.. DHF 2.5 front, Aggrrssor 2.3 rear. Eco is probably too light for you by the sounds, though it’s stronger than Schwalbe Snameskin for me

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

(29″ caveat). The EXO’s are lighter than other heavy duty casing IME.

Schwalbe SG, Specialized Grid all come in at ~1kg. I’ve got some 2.3 Minion EXO’s that are 800g.

I tend to run a DD on the back & normal EXO on the front. They are noticably thinner sidewalled than other (including DD’s).

chakaping
    Free Member

What he said, exo will be ok on the front, something thicker required on the rear though.

stevied
    Free Member

Have a Tomahawk DD on the back and it’s been great on the rocky stuff around Malvern. Definitely has the edge over EXO..

nickc

I’m in Calderdale and on exo casings they’re fine, (and were fine in the Alps last year)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Pretty much confirms my thinking as I’ve not holed a front tyre yet. Double down rear, Exo front it is then.

jonnym92

I’ve teared EXO casing for fun on the rear. Not worth it for me.
    I got a double down DHR for the rear and managed to put a slice in it with some Lake District slate, though I think it would have cut any tyre. It has plugged ok though so will be going back on.
    If this doesn’t last I will be straying from Maxxis.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What jonny says.

I’ve given up with sub 1kg tyres on rear, and EXO is on the banned list, along with schwalbe.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s a sample size of one, so don’t know if I just got lucky, but the e13 reinforcement has been surprisingly good.

lowey

I fitted an EXO Minnion last week. It lasted about halfway down Parkhead Road.

Straight in the bin and replaced with HR2 DH casing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis tyres, Exo vs Double Down’ is closed to new replies.