Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Maxxis tyres compounds etc for alps trip
  • nickdavies

Struggling a bit on maxxis tyre compounds for alpine trip.
    Currently have minion dhf front 2.5 and ardent 2.4 rear, both Exo single ply and front is super tacky. Seems about right for most uk stuff, no punctures since going tubeless.

Looking at going dual ply for alps and completely confused by it all. Normally wire bead is naff but I can’t find the tyres I want in folding, just wire? Was thinking minion dhf front 2.5 dual ply 42a and either sticking to ardent rear or going for the 2.35 dual ply 60a minion dhf.

Are wire bead maxxis ok? Have stuck with panaracer fire cx and conti RQ’s for a long time both of which you have to get the posh folding versions or you die… Can’t find dual ply folding tyres though.

Cheers

Northwind

Dualply is almost always (actually always?) wire bead. There’s some folding heavyweights like Schwalbe Supergravity but I can’t remember ever seeing a true dualply foldy.

Don’t worry about quality with wire dh tyres- maxxis actually do quite a lot of quality wire bead tyres, not just their dualplies. But the dualplies certainly don’t have an OEM equivalent, they’re all good quality.

Whereabouts are you going? With uplifts, sticky tyres are less of a downside but it can still be a pain sometimes, they suck speed on the descents.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Wire head Dual Ply are perfect for France. Easy to set up tubeless and much more reliable than single ply tyres. It’s a long walk down from halfway up a mountain

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Dual ply is great for toughness with a standard inner tube.

For a solid week of riding I’d just go with 60a or it will be trashed by the end of the week.

nickdavies

Thanks chaps, tyres ordered. Now all I have to do is work out exactly which of the random selection of brake adapters avid seems to make will get the big disc on the back…

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

My go to is 2.35 60a dual ply for the peak, and up it to a 2.5 for the alps, run a 2.5 super tacky up front everywhere.

stevegittins
    Free Member

Just been talking with the guys at Trail addiction about tyres as we are heading over in a couple of weeks.

They say go with 60a as the softer compounds get trashed too quickly (some people find they dont last a week) and the grip difference wont be an issue They also recomend Minion or High roller. I will be running High roller 2’s F+R. I think the Ardent wont be grippy enough and I also dont think its available dual ply.

Steve.

BTW, All Maxxis Dual ply are wire bead.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Supertacky is great on the front (a tyre just about lasts me the whole chairlift season), but will last 5 minutes on the back.

Currently running 60a single-ply HR2’s both ends though as they were standard on my new bike. Working fine, but I think I might need to go for something a little beefier on the back or I’m going to put too many rocks through the tread to keep running it tubeless.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Update – just started running some Michelin Wild Rock’R 2 tyres as an experiment. Pretty happy so far. About 300g per tyre lighter than a 2.5″ UST dual-ply Maxxis, but have a similar bomb-proof feel.

There are “tacky” and “hard” compound versions available (MagiX and GumX). Running tacky front and hard back. Grip seems good so far.

backtothetop
    Free Member

The most common tyres i noticed at this years megavalanche were minions. my mate had wire beaded minions on ex500’s with a stans tubeless kits and he had no problems at all.

I had ust crossmax sx’s, ust mavic crossmax charge tyres and stans fluid.
    ripped both tyres of the rims and ended up putting tubes in, fantastic grip on wet rock-dry/slightly wet hardpack but no good running low pressures in that terrain

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis tyres compounds etc for alps trip’ is closed to new replies.