• This topic has 29 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Maxxis Swampthings 2.35- will these be ok for Morzine/Les Gets?
  • hora
    Free Member

For people who’ve been out there- I only have these 2×2.35’s or my trusty Ardents and really don’t want to be shelling out on bigger tyres when there only getting used for such a short period of time.

Swampthings are very grippy/great al-rounders in winter. Will I be ok with these?

BoardinBob

I went out with 2.35 Nevegals and 2.35 Swampys, both single ply

I bought 2.5 dual plys at the end of the 1st day.

hora
    Free Member

What/why? Were you pinch-flatting alot?

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

2.35’s should be fine! i would use ardents if i were you!

ridingscared
    Free Member

If you plan on riding the DH trails I’d recommend 2.5 dual ply minions or similar. I know it all depends on riding style but the last think you want to be doing is buying tyres out there. Get some part worns off this forum or SDH.

hora
    Free Member

i would use ardents if i were you!

Err no. 😕

steveh

Swamp things are about the best all round tyre ever IMHO and if it rains you’ll be glad you’re not on high rollers or similar unless you like alot of sliding. Dual ply is preferable to reduce punctures though.

Don’t forget that if you buy tyres here in dual ply they’re £80 a pair for maxxis now out there they’ll be pretty much that much in euros each.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of Maxxis Minions 2.35 Dual Ply in great condition (Used for two weeks in USA) that you can have the pair for £35? 😉

The rear is slightly more worn than the front (the front is near perfect).

Popocatapetl

I was there last week and used 2.35 UST high rollers so you will be fine Mark. If your flying, give me a bell and i’ll lend you a bike bag 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Picked up a bike bag last night – ta though 🙂

I’ll stick to Swampthings. Just know and love them. I guess I could always get a 42a double ply for the front from CRC for 30quid.

toys19
    Free Member

tyres are a personal thing, but bigger tyres, if you are going down only, will add to your joy. Smaller tyres will not detract from your joy unless you’ve done it on bigger ones, even then you might not notice.

I found swampthings only really fun in mud, and the mud in morzine is easily dealt with by a set of high rollers.

Given how much wedge you are going to leak, 60 for some ” once a year” tyres is ok, you can always use them next year. Anyway I wore out my rear high roller in a week..

BoardinBob

What/why? Were you pinch-flatting alot?

No flats at all but the 2.35s felt far too flimsy. Bigger rubber for more grip and support. Definitely noticed a big improvement over the really rough sections once I had the big tyres on. The bike felt far more stable. If you’re not planning on riding the downhill stuff and only doing XC or the PDS then I wouldn’t bother, although in saying that the PDS stuff we did was a lot rockier than the DH trails.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Single ply ok if run tubeless…?

chakaping
    Free Member

hey leon – I’d be interested in those tyres if hora is passing.

will email you

Northwind

BoardinBob – Member

No flats at all but the 2.35s felt far too flimsy. Bigger rubber for more grip and support. Definitely noticed a big improvement over the really rough sections once I had the big tyres on. The bike felt far more stable.

What 2.5s did you end up using?

hora
    Free Member

I’ll go double-ply and sticky but keep the 2.35 as the 2.35 Swampthing is a big volume anyway. This way I can at least reuse the tyre I bought here in the UK.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Are you riding uphill at all? If not fork out for some 2.5 Minions or similar.

Swampies will be OK after it’s rained, but most riders will take out spikes for the wet and regular rollers for when it dries out.

BoardinBob

If you plan on riding the DH trails I’d recommend 2.5 dual ply minions or similar. I know it all depends on riding style but the last think you want to be doing is buying tyres out there. Get some part worns off this forum or SDH.

This “tyres are mega expensive in the alps” thing is a myth. I paid €44 for a Dual Ply Minion and the same for a dual ply High Roller at DSV in Morzine.

The Minion is £39 at Next Day Tyres so that works out to be 50p cheaper than I paid in Morzine. Same with the High Roller.

BoardinBob

What 2.5s did you end up using?

Minion Front, High Roller Back

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Go dual ply and use thick tubes or you’ll be puncturing a lot, (assuming you’re only riding DH and not mincing like a big fairy) 🙂

I used to take swampies and minions/high rollers but this yeah just used a set of conti barons, they were great – super grippy in the wet and the dry.

hora
    Free Member

Oh I will be dragging my rear wheel EVERYWHERE and mincing alright.

Stocked up on brake pads 8)

dualply 42a Swampy ordered 🙂

BoardinBob

Take a bleed kit too. You will boil your brakes.

hora
    Free Member

Bollocks. The tyre I ordered from CRC didnt show 🙁

legend
    Free Member

Dual ply is a definite.
    2.35 is fine
    Swampthings though?!? If its proper wet you’ll want a proper spike (or just keep on normal tyres and have a laugh), and if it’s dry you’ll want a High Roller, Minion, etc. Swampthings are just a middle of the road waste of time imo.

As Boardinbob says, all sorts of Maxxis dual ply tyres are available for less than 45€ over there just now

craig1975
    Free Member

2.5 minion or high roller, minion up front, worked better in the slop the my 2.35 swampys, a chain device is a must…. trust me on this, my chain was of after 2m on every run, i would have been better of leavin it home, take a down hill bike

alfabus
    Free Member

I go for:

Front: single-ply super tacky (42a) high roller 2.35.
    Rear: dual-ply 60a minion dhf (that’s a front, not a rear) 2.35.

Would probably use 2.5’s if my frame had more clearance.

Dave

alfabus
    Free Member

grr… double post

juiced
    Free Member

i’d go for high rollers. Although i’ve never been to morzine. go for what the clearance is like.

bella
    Free Member

Not really sure what all the fuss is about. Dual ply worth having (at least on the back) but other than that as long as you don`t try to run skinny XC tyres you will be fine.

Terrain so variable out there. Gully Run in the wet Vs Swiss National in the dry would need totally different rubber were we all aiming for the top step of a world cup podium. Doubt that will be the case.

Whatever you choose you will probably have a self made semi-slick on the back by the end of the week so don`t worry too much. Some of my best ever days riding have been sliding about in the mud around Morzine. Have a good week.

fbk
    Free Member

I do like these “take the latest and biggest things you can to the alps or you’ll die, or maybe just not enjoy yourself” threads.

I’m going to sound old here but, the first time I went to Morzine I was on a 140mm travel Patriot with Tioga DH 2.1 tyres and rims brakes. I think the bars may even have been less than a metre wide.

No matter what you take it’ll be a blast and, unless you’re travelling with very fast, very impatient DH’ers, subtleties of equipment really won’t make that much difference.

And FWIW, 2.35 swamp things are great tyres and, whilst you won’t win any uphill races, you’ll be fine on them everywhere else. Given the unpredictable weather and range of terrain there, I can think of a lot less suitable choices.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Swampthings 2.35- will these be ok for Morzine/Les Gets?’ is closed to new replies.