Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Maxxis shorty 2.5 wt tyre wobble and pressures
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Anyone else got a wobble on the their shorty 2.5??

It was fine on a same internal 30mm width but now its acquired a wobble side to side on rotation (more notcieable at speed)

Its seated fully (tried a few times etc) and ive put on another tyre to check and its fine and straight so its not the rim

Pretty annoying as there is no stock of shortys 2.5 anywhere!

Also what sort of pressure are folk running up front on it? Feels so so volumous by feel on anything over 23 psi….almost feels as hard as the rear tyre at 29psi….i have to have it down to about 16 psi before it feels squishy and actually grips

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Anyone

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

No wobble or indeed wibble

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Nope, mines spotty dog.
    No issues here.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Its weird mine only happened after i put it on a new rim (although identical inner width etc) so im a bit stumped

It went on was a but tricky get the final bit on but on the same sort of leverage id used on previous times of swapping it

Annoying as theres no stock out to replace it, so might go back to a 3c WT dhr2 up front instead

jamesoz

I’ve put a wobble into a 2.3 shorty trying to lever it onto a stans flow fitted with pro core. I think I damaged the bead as it was such a tight fit.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Hmmm maybe it was from tryin to get the last bit on then, but ive done the same on the rear tyre and thats running straight

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Defo not a ding in the rim?.

fathomer

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

I bloody hope not, lol!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Nope its new carbon hoop bud 🙂

Must have been the last lever trying to get it on as it was a tight bugger lol

Its pretty knackered and a year old but its really off putting on rotation as kinks out every rotation

kormoran
    Free Member

I take it you’re running it tubeless?

i have had wobble problems in the past with tubes. Specifically tubes that are not really big enough for the tyre, or borderline big enough

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Yeh tubeless indeed, ive taken the tyre off 3 times tried rotating its position just to make sure and still the same

Also put an older spare tyre just to double check it wasnt the rim and that even older tyre was fine so its defo a deformed tyre

Not really sure how else id have got the final but on without a lever it was that tight

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

fathomer – Member 

I bloody hope not, lol

Haha yep me too

singlespeedstu

I’ve had a few Maxxis tyres develop a wobble.
    Don’t think it’s the bead that gets damaged, think it’s more a case of the carcass threads start to break down and let the tyre deform.
    First time it happened was after a heavy impact to a front turning at the bottom of some steps.

Onzadog
    Free Member

One thing I’d check if it was mine, there’s usually a moulding line a few mm above the bead. Spin the wheel and see if this is following the rim edge and running true. If it is, th whole carcass has “slipped”, if not, deflate, brake the bead away from the rim, rub a wet bar of soap along it (or use proper tyre soap) and reinflate.

LAT

Does it wobble if you put it back on the original rim?

edward2000
    Free Member

I blame your username

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

edward2000 – Member 
    I blame your username

very good 😆

LAT – haven’t got around to that, but ive put another tyre on this rim and no wobble

SSSTU – possibly, it is quite worn, but still just 2 days before I swapped it over it was fine on the other rim

ONZADOG – yep double checked that, the line runs completely in line all the way around on the rim, theres no hint of it sinking further down at one point of the tyre, ive reinflated, rejigged its position on the rim etc

the wobble is actually causing the disc rotor to move slightly too (assume the rotating weight is flexing side to side so its catching on every rotation….and yep when I put a different tyre on the disc doesn’t catch at all, so its all in the tyre..typically no bloody shorty stock anywhere in the UK

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve only ever had tyrewall deformation like that on 2 tyres, a spesh purg and a shorty. Purg was a rear tyre, binned it as it feels hellish on the rear, wobbling all over the shop. Shorty was a 2.3 29 front, stuck with it for quite a while, it actually seemed to improve a bit with riding.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeh, be honest nobeerinthefridge – I switched off from it yesterday, although the OCD in me doesn’t like it, I don’t have too many options with them not being available….

what are you running now up front on your brondog?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mary Supergravity mate, can’t see past them tbh.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I used Schwalbe many years ago, they basically fell apart after about 3 weeks the side knobs, have they improved the life span on them now?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oh aye, for sure, though tbf as I’m a big unit and like rocky riding, I never use them on the rear. The SG is pretty soft, and I’ll get around 10 months form one before it loses it’s square edge, and usefulness in mud.

Running a Slaughter grid on the rear, been pretty good the 4 months it’s been on there, and tough too.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I do get a wobble, almost a “Self Steer” sometimes on my Chronicles on my Krampus..

It does it every now and again, and always catches me out.

This is on Dually rims..

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Oh aye, for sure, though tbf as I’m a big unit and like rocky riding, I never use them on the rear. The SG is pretty soft, and I’ll get around 10 months form one before it loses it’s square edge, and usefulness in mud.
    Running a Slaughter grid on the rear, been pretty good the 4 months it’s been on there, and tough too.

ive ran the slaughter grid before, a great summer/spring tyre here, but in the woods by us its no use once I get to october’ish….will have a look into the Schwalbe then, I possibly might have sourced a tyre 🙂 fingers crossed it pulls off cheers dude!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have a couple of supergravity versions, brand new, I’d let one go for 30 quid if ye need one, gimme a shout.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thanks – ill give ya a shout if it falls through 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d have thought the Mary would be spot-on for your neck of the woods. Snakeskin carcass version perfect for the front.

They don’t have an obvious rear option though, which might aggravate your OCD?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

weirdly Ive not seen/nor heard of many folk mention the Mary before, yet alone seen them out and about, think everyone round here just uses the shorty for the forest etc, id stick a dhr 2 on (WT 2.4 3c) but tbh it just doesn’t cut in the mud the same as the shorty once you go off piste….but if this shorty option fails I’m just going to get one instead and lower the pressure by a couple of psi (should work better than my dhr2 2.3 3c I was running before)

and yep, it would do my OCD in 😆

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis shorty 2.5 wt tyre wobble and pressures’ is closed to new replies.