Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Maxxis Ikon TR vs NON TR fitting?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Is there a difference between the 2 in terms of diameter / shape that makes the TR version easier to fit?

Reason I ask is that CRC told me that the non TR can be run tubelesss … I spent 2 hours on Saturday with a track pump trying to get the tyre to mount, but to no avail. I then put a tube in overnight as I had heard that will help shape the tyre, but once again, I could not get the tyre to inflate.

I put the old TR version back in that had been sitting outside and I had it inflated and sealed with 5 minutes using the same track pump.

Off on a trip and I ideally wanted to replace the tyre, but unless I can get it to seat easily tonight I will have to concede defeat. Any last minute fail safe options that will work?

Thanks

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

Non TR (Tubeless Ready) Maxxis tyres can not and should not be ran tubeless. Who knows why Chain Reaction have you told you otherwise!

The rubber compound and beading are all very different on the TR tyres, the non TR tyres will struggle to inflate, will loose air over time, the rubber could deform when used with sealant and there is nothing to say the beading will hold the rim securely.

Sorry bud!

richmtb

Non TR (Tubeless Ready) Maxxis tyres can not and should not be ran tubeless. Who knows why Chain Reaction have you told you otherwise!

Well. I’ve been running a non TR High Roller II front and an non TR Ardent rear for a year and not died yet.

Non TR tyres have a slacker bead and more porous sidewalls. The sealant will take longer to plug all the pores in the tyre and they will be tricky to initially inflate due to the slacker bead. A few wraps of electrical tape can bulk out the rim bed and make the bead a bit tighter.

Non TR tyres will work its just much more of a faff. I used CO2 to get mine on – I think a Coke bottle inflator or an airshot would work too.

BillOddie

Whilst firey death is always a possibility, I’ve run non-TR Ardents, Smorgasbord (made by Maxxis), Chunky Monkey (ditto), Chronicles and Minions and they have all gone up fine with a track pump and stayed up. You just need to make sure the bead is free of sealant.

The only one that I got to burp is the Chronicle and that was because I was doing speedway style drifts on a grassy area with the kids…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Never had a problem with getting normal maxxis tyres inflated tubeless. In-fact they’re one of the easiest!

Off on a trip and I ideally wanted to replace the tyre, but unless I can get it to seat easily tonight I will have to concede defeat. Any last minute fail safe options that will work?

Build the rim up with electrical tape. Just get a roll and start wrapping like you would with any other tubeless tape, 2-3 layers will get you the millimetre or so difference it probably needs. Although going crazy is an easier (more reliable) option, it just makes the bead tighter to get on in the first place too.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Build the rim up with electrical tape. Just get a roll and start wrapping like you would with any other tubeless tape, 2-3 layers will get you the millimetre or so difference it probably needs. Although going crazy is an easier (more reliable) option, it just makes the bead tighter to get on in the first place too.

Makes sense. Thanks

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

Non TR tyres will seat and seal ok, just not as easily as the TR ones.

I have one of either (TR rear, non TR front) and both sealed fine. I would say that your best bet getting a definite seat with the non TR will be by using an Airshot or similar.

TR versions are blissfully easy to setup tubeless most of the time not even needing a lubed up bead and going up with a track pump.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I’ve lost count of how many non-tubeless maxxis tyres I’ve successfully set up tubeless and none have killed me to death yet …..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Ikon TR vs NON TR fitting?’ is closed to new replies.